• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root newb help-root my Razr M?

I'm kind of in the same boat, but am also familiar with Dos back to 2.x when you had to run the RAX command before poking the Adaptec or Western Digital hdd controllers' firmware with g=c800:5 to get into the low level utils afforded by the controllers designed for MFM RLL and ESDI disks.

Linux is still a steep curve, though I've used SU commands in the past a little running OpenSuse. (three or four years ago?) I just wanted it for Gimp and Cups drivers to make my Epson R220's shine when blasting out stacks of CD-r prints.

Sooooooo . . . to that end I figure, why not make two threads one, and build two real nice XT907's while we're at it? :)

I know . . . I'm thread jacking, but it's an experiment.

I'd like to break it down for two users, both pretty knowledgeable \, and maybe even start a bit of a flow chart on this rather slippery technology! :eek:P

I have NEVER owned a smart phone before, and this one was neglected battery-wise for a year and a half as it sat in a drawer.

I'd LIKE to just get from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 I believe, and begin there.

Upvote 0
I lost my first post, and a large portion of the second one as well somehow. Very frustrating. I fear I'll loose ability to edit this post eventually, so I'm re-writing the lost material in Notepad and will try this again when I am satisfied with the content.

I WILL edit live to say that I TOO am a 100% certified smartphone newb.

The OP seems to be pretty tech savvy as evidenced by the info provided right away, so maybe we can build a real nice walk-though to update the crappy 4.4.2 to another ROM.

My phone's details are exactly identical to those posted by emfpulse, so this should be a great place to start!

Another edit to add lost content as a single post:

I had posted to the *** WARNING *** READ BEFORE ROOTING sticky asking if I needed to do a full factory reset to bare 4.4.2 before creating the clean Nandroid zip before continuing with no reply, so I started searching.

Not really being satisfied with what I was finding here, I DID however find this thread already started, and had an idea.

Be a thread-jacker with a plan.

My situation being identical, I figured it was worth a while, and may even get more attention from people too. I hope it's not thought to be in poor taste.

Next edit:

Not being very satisfied with the available info here, I broadened my search outside of the forum again, and started getting some info I found more useful to this VERY slippery technology, and OUR specific devices, OSes, and NEED being 100% identical.

Here is what I THINK I may have found:

OBJECTIVE: ROOT Motorola Razr M xt907 FOR BETTER APPS AND TO ELIMINATE HEARTBLEED BUG

ROM: It seems CM11 ROM based on KitKat 4.4.4 is the most sensible solution and I'd like to get right down to it despite "urgent warnings against rooting until I am a Linux developer." :cool:

Ummmmmm . . . NO!

<<< Grin >>>

--- 1ST PROCEDURE - PROPER BACKUP OF UN-MODDED PHONE ROM

- Phone needs fully protected in case of soft-bricking, so a Nandroid is FIRST, before rooting.

Q 1.1 Is there need to reset the phone and have to loose everything that's already there if all changes made to the root are made by an un-modded 4.4.2 OTA R (Over The Air) ROM load?

Q 1.2 If so, can I back up the apps first and reinstall them after the new ROM (CM11 - KitKat 4.4.4) is loaded? (I ***THINK*** I'd like to use Titanium if I can)

I will forge ahead while awaiting response by installing ClockworkMod (CWM) after modifying the image with the fastboot command, and report my findings after that step is successfully completed.

I don't know what is is, (maybe a cloud based repository for ROM/app backups?), but it's obvious it's in my immediate future.

If you are able to PM me a good quick walk-through oh the virgin ROM Nandroid from a fastboot image file, I'd LOVE to do it, then add it, then give credit to the source! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to try and clean up by offering some research credits! YIPES!

I fear I may already be missing some of the folks that have provided some great info. :oops:

vhttp://trueandroid.com/update-motorola-razr-m-xt907-to-android-4-4-4-kitkat-via-cm11-nightly-how-to/

http://trueandroid.com/android-ultimate-backup-guide-without-root-or-with-root/

I have missed a TON.

Dropbox installer ran to set up a free 2GB account. Installer obviously ended and restarted the process: Explorer.exe on my Win7/Ultimate Retail 64 Windoze box. YEA!+

SWEET! - Yeah, DropBox is gonna end up taking money from me.

Okay, there's been a delay of game for a few hours here, but I finally got something else done. As a first step, I'm getting the Android SDK tools ONLY installed. I opted to install them in the root of my SS boot disk as sometimes lower level installs and progies don't like running from the rotational drive at drive D:\ (I run my desktop off the fist partition of first rotational disk)

Oh for joy. I've followed this to get fastboot and adb loaded. I think I've had enough for today! lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Tech Level:

PC & XT machines forward.

DOS 2.1 or earlier required the use of the command:

RAX <Return>

. . . before the "g-c800:5" command is issued to poke the disk controller's firmware and access low level format utils with Adaptec and Western Digital controllers for 5, 10, 20, 30 and 40 MB 5-1.4 half and full height MFM's and RLL's, as well as the half height Seagate 330MB and full height WD 660MB drives I'd worked with.

Have also worked for pro musicians and hometown heroes:

IE U2, Sting/Dead, Daniels, GnR/Soundgarden etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones