• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

newbie - baffled by google maps

Hello,

After 30 odd years using a PC, took the plunge and bought an android tablet. I downloaded the latest Google Maps app and found it impossible to work out how to use it. Every search I have made tells me WHAT it will do, but not HOW to do it. What I want is a "monkey see - Monkey do" tutorial, assuming no previous knowledge of the programme.

Any help would be gratefully received.
Many Thanks,

raven4

Hello and welcome to Android Forums raven4. :)

If there's something specific you want to know how to do, just ask and we can walk you through it. Personally I think earlier versions of maps was much more user friendly, but less feature-rich. As they added stuff and changed the UI, I think they were working under the assumption that everyone had used the older versions first.

raven4 said:
By the way, I'm not only new to Androids but also forums, so feeling my way around and hoping not to offend anybody!

Make yourself at home. :D If you need any help, just ask any staff member. If you want the *right* answer, ask me. ;)

Reactions: raven4
Upvote 0
The idea of technology these days is that they try to make it so that you have a reasonable chance of figuring out how it works without needing a manual. Modern tablets and phones are designed with touch in mind and the touch centric UI is going to be different than a mouse centric UI of a PC. I'll give you some things to get you started.

When launched, Google Maps will show a map with your current location (assuming your GPS radio is on). Scroll the map by dragging your finger across the screen. Zoom is accomplished by using 2 fingers. Touch with 2 fingers and to zoom in and out move your fingers farther apart or closer together. Tap the screen and hold your finger there for a second to bring up the info on that point of the map. You can tap on the car icon to start driving navigation to it.

The search bar at the top allows you to type in an address or a landmark, business or contact. Google will then move the map there. You may get a list of items if what you typed is ambiguous. Just select the item that best fits what you are looking for.

Your tablet may or may not have a menu button. Pressing the menu button will bring up a list of items from the left edge of the screen. If you don't have a menu button on your phone and tablet, drag your finger inward from the left edge to the middle of the screen (called swipe in) to bring up the menu.

Hopefully this will get you started. Just play around with the various settings.

Upvote 0
Thanks, tommo47 I've had a quick look at the link but will obviously have to study it at length. By the way, I'm not only new to Androids but also forums, so feeling my way around and hoping not to offend anybody!

Hi raven4,

Only too pleased to be able to help. It is a fairly comprehensive guide to all the functions of Google Maps, and should get you off to good start.

I don't know about you, but I find it useful to have something to refer to until I become familiar with a new product through 'hands on' experience.

:)

Upvote 0
Hi, lunatic59,

Thanks for the welcome. Another quick question for you. Can I post a second question which is unrelated to the on going one?

Sure, but start a new thread. It's best to keep topics separated. If it's about your device, post it in the section for your device because solutions can be very hardware specific. If it's about an app you can't figure out or are looking for, then Android Applications will be the place for that, or if it's about Android in General, the the Android Lounge will be the right area. If you want to know how to set the timing on a 68 Thunderbird with a 390 V8, I'll see if I can find Marisa Tomei's email. ;)

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
Hi, stuntman,
Thanks for your reply. As you say, it's a step at a time. I'm quite comfortable with gestures etc. but every app seems to have it's own format unlike the Windows progs I am used to.

Windows has a 20-year head start on mouse centric UI's and standardisation. Also, my experience with Windows as of late is with mostly Microsoft applications. Android only became availble late last decade.

I do understand your frustration with different apps having different conventions. Part of the reason is that Android initially did not have any standard guidelines on how an app's UI should be like. There have been more recent guidelines, but they are simply guidelines. Another reason I find is that many apps were developed on iOS first and then ported to Android. Many of these developers do the bare minimum to make the Android app and it behaves line iOS which has different UI conventions than Android.

Most basic functions of an app are easy enough to figure out through some experimentation. If the app is well designed, you should be able to figure out more advanced functions.

In any case, if you have any specific questions, you can simply ask it here and I'm sure some members will be able to provide you with answers.

Reactions: raven4
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones