• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

newbie's doubts

fdisk

Aug 20, 2010
i bought a milestone a few hours ago and spent the last 8 hours playing with it and researching
but I still have a few doubts... any help is appreciated

1) I don't really like the idea of giving out my data (contacts, calendar) to google... I'd rather sync them locally with my PC (as I did with WM6 + activesync + outlook)
is there a solution for android?

2) yet in the privacy issue, I'm looking for an IM "aggregator" that doesn't store my passwords on its server, but rather on my own cellphone
(I just tried IMBuddy, and it stores it on the server)

3) my data plan is expensive
I'd like to be able to choose which apps can connect to internet, or at least get a "allow data connection?" dialog

is it possible?

4) I'm looking for a MagicCall-like program for android
that's a program which allowed me to, for instance:
- ignore SMS from number 1234
- silence phonecalls from all numbers except my whitelist between 00am and 08am

thanks

i bought a milestone a few hours ago and spent the last 8 hours playing with it and researching
but I still have a few doubts... any help is appreciated

1) I don't really like the idea of giving out my data (contacts, calendar) to google... I'd rather sync them locally with my PC (as I did with WM6 + activesync + outlook)
is there a solution for android?
Perfectly reasonable, especially if you use the phone for work. I don't know about non-HTC phones, but you can download an HTC utility that allows syncing of contacts and calendar with Outlook via cable. I wouldn't call it good, exactly, but it does work. Not sure if there is anything for Milestone - that's Motorola, right?

Upvote 0
Szadzik, I respect your opinion
in fact, I'm used to be called paranoid (but in 15 years, I never lost data due lack of backups, never got hacked nor had information stolen in anyway... not everybody can say the same)

my main concern is not exactly what they will do, but no company is 100% safe from hackers or bad employes
I just don't wanna risk my data if it's possible not to

Upvote 0
Szadzik, I respect your opinion
in fact, I'm used to be called paranoid (but in 15 years, I never lost data due lack of backups, never got hacked nor had information stolen in anyway... not everybody can say the same)

my main concern is not exactly what they will do, but no company is 100% safe from hackers or bad employes
I just don't wanna risk my data if it's possible not to

I agree with you, but you chose the wrong phone to be used for what you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones