• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newby ??? streaming audio into a Car radio

fatphil

Lurker
Dec 22, 2010
Hi group, I'd have a goal: to stream internet audio into a car radio so I can drop a XM subscription. What is the best way as I don't have a AUX audio input. I can add a USB interface to the antenna cable as a input, or FM transmitter (tough to do as there are a lot of stations in Cincinnati) or Bluetooth stream in though a Parrot installed. If I use a USB will the audio simply go out or will I need a special app to make it work? Any input would be appreciated. If anyone needs help/advice in the Automotive area, I'd be glad to reciprocate in advice. Phil in Cincinnati.

Welcome to Android Forums!

I guess it's up to how much money you want to spend. Personally, I'd go with a new head unit that supports bluetooth. Even so, streaming audio over a mobile internet connection can get pretty dodgy. Before you plonk down any cash, you might want to test it to make sure you can keep the audio streaming.

Upvote 0
forget about fm transmitter.. no matter how expensive they might be, sound quality will always be bad.. i use the aux input in my and it works just fine.. i think you can stream via bluetooth but the head has to support A2DP, mine has bluetooth but it doesnt support A2DP so i only answer call via the car's bluetooth system

Upvote 0
The OP said he didn't have an aux input so in that case FM transmitter may be the easiest way to go, but otherwise I completely agree that aux or usb would be preferable. That's the great thing about TuneLink, we're traveling overseas this fall and have no idea if the rental car will have an aux input or A2DP head unit, but with the TuneLink I know I'll still be able to listen to my music and audiobooks.

Upvote 0
On the strength of this thread I've gone and bought Tunelink. I can't get it to work! Please can someone give a techno challenged oldie some instructions? Do I just plug the cigarette lighter bit in and then use the app on my phone without plugging the phone in? Or do I plug the phone into the tunelink thing in the cigarette lighter? Or do I plug the phone into a separate cigarette lighter? Do I need an Internet connection to make the app work? I can't understand what I'm doing wrong. It isn't as simple as my IPod Griffin Itrip. (I'll wash my mouth out with soap now! LOL!)

Upvote 0
First of all you need to decide if you're going to get the music to your car stereo using an auxiliary input jack or via FM signal. The second thing to keep in mind is that you do NOT need to plug your phone into the cigarette lighter adapter, the USB port is merely a convenience in case you'd also like to charge your phone. The cigarette lighter adapter contains the bluetooth receiver so on your phone you need to search for bluetooth devices and connect to the one usually called 'TuneLink'. The phone will send sound (e.g. music, audiobooks, podcasts) over bluetooth to the TuneLink cigarette lighter adapter, and then the adapter will send the signal to your car stereo using either the auxiliary cable or FM station.

If you're using an auxiliary input jack then all you need to do is plug the cigarette lighter adapter into an auxiliary input port on your stereo, and then select the auxiliary channel as your stereo's input source. If you're using an FM station to transmit the signal, then you need to install the app on your phone because that will allow you choose which FM station you want to use.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to PM me if you would like more details.

John

On the strength of this thread I've gone and bought Tunelink. I can't get it to work! Please can someone give a techno challenged oldie some instructions? Do I just plug the cigarette lighter bit in and then use the app on my phone without plugging the phone in? Or do I plug the phone into the tunelink thing in the cigarette lighter? Or do I plug the phone into a separate cigarette lighter? Do I need an Internet connection to make the app work? I can't understand what I'm doing wrong. It isn't as simple as my IPod Griffin Itrip. (I'll wash my mouth out with soap now! LOL!)

Reactions: dalesponyrider
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones