• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newly rooted eris, few questions..

svh105

Apr 29, 2010
First post!

I've recently rooted my eris to Xtrsense 4.5 and have a few questions...
My quadrant score pre root was 205. After root, with JIT_on, overclock 748 the score was 298. Is this typical? are there other settings I can change within gscript to boost the performance?

Should I alter the minimum clock speed from default?

I have a2sd and cach2sd ON. How do I know these are actually working?

After running advaced task killer, my available memory is around 65 megs.
Is this a normal figure for the eris? I'm not completely sure how the memory/cache works on mobile phones. I assume 70 megs of RAM is different than information stored in the Cache.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

I never run quadrant myself - I can generally tell how fast or slow the phone feels without benchmarks, and I think the benchmarks are not testing everything that relates to the speed of the phone.

As for apps2sd and cache2sd, I suppose that you can look at available memory in settings->sd card. If it stays pretty stable, you know that cache isn't building up there, as well as data from third party apps. Also, from here:

So how do I know Apps2sd is on? - You can run the GScript report_system_stats which will give you a printout of what fileblocks are used as well as a “true/false” value for Apps2sd On. You can also go to menu>Settings>Sd card and phone storage - when on space available under Available storage will go down at a VERY slow rate when new apps are installed.

You can probably save a little battery in screen off by setting the minimum clock to 19.2, but when I ran xtrROM (which is not xtrSENSE, but I think similar) I found that the phone was too slow to wake on incoming phone calls. Try it, though.

It's been a while since I ran xtrROM, so I'm not sure which gscripts are available for performance. Unless you have a class 6 or better SD card, I would suggest cache2cache for better performance, but it's probably not all that noticeable anyway.

I never run task killers, and I really suggest to everyone that you not as well. It's ok to have a task manager that you use manually to stop a runaway process, but I do that maybe once a month or so myself. See this article: Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones