• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 from tmobile or google play?

axxel

Sep 17, 2012
I want a nexus 4, or may wait til the 5 comes out. I have tmobile in NYC.

Is there anything wrong with getting my nexus from the playstore vs purchasing it thru tmobile? It's about $100 cheaper on playstore. However, I have heard that some people that purchase unlocked phones from the playstore, do not get as fast of speeds as the same exact phone purchased thru the carrier. Is this true?

Also, are the tmobile nexus 4's unlocked?

Thanks.

Can anyone comment on whether the google play phone will have the exact connectivity as the tmobile phone? I've read that some unlocked phones don't support the tmobile bands to give full 4g speeds? I've read many threads where people who bought the play store nexus 4 had slow speeds and were told by tmobile reps if they don't purchase their device thru tmobile, it won't reach as fast of speeds.

Appreciate all comments.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks.

Can anyone comment on whether the google play phone will have the exact connectivity as the tmobile phone? I've read that some unlocked phones don't support the tmobile bands to give full 4g speeds? I've read many threads where people who bought the play store nexus 4 had slow speeds and were told by tmobile reps if they don't purchase their device thru tmobile, it won't reach as fast of speeds.

Appreciate all comments.

Thanks.

They're full of it. Getting good speeds is a matter of location. Some areas have better speeds than others. If you use the phone stock and use the default epc.tmobile.com apn, it will be configured to use HSPA+42 at full speed if available. If you root the phone, do the necessary modifications & use the fast.t-mobile.com apn, you can get LTE if available in your area. However, your HSPA+ will be capped at HSPA+21.

Upvote 0
Here's all that you have to know (though certain posts have already touched on bits and pieces):

The Nexus 4 sold on Google Play and through T-Mobile are the EXACT SAME PHONE. There are no differences. With that said, it's cheaper to purchase outright from Google ($349 for 16GB) than from T-Mobile ($432 for the same). T-Mobile's advantage is the ability to pay in installments ($0 up front, $18/mo for 24 months), and you MAY be able to find a white Nexus 4 in some stores (sold out online and from Google) if that color matters to you.

In terms of 4G access, we're being a bit misleading here, but so is T-Mobile. The ITU has caved to carrier pressure and stated that the following technologies are 4G; WiMax, LTE, and HSPA+ 14.4mbps or faster. People on this forum (and myself) tend to not count HSPA+ in any incarnation as 4G, because it cannot sustain the same download speeds for more than a burst, it cannot reach anywhere near LTE in upload speeds, and ping times (latency) are worse. With that said, the Nexus 4 works on the "4G" network used by T-Mobile, but not 4G LTE (without modification, and that comes with some caveats as well).

Upvote 0
Both the Google play and t-mobile Nexus 4 come with a locked bootloader that is easy to unlock. I think psuedoware was referring to being sim unlocked though.

I was, but I'm unintentionally right either way ;)

Anyway, I just bought the N4 (not from TMo) after selling my GS3, then realizing I can't go without while waiting 'till the "next big thing".

The other thing w/TMo, paying installments requires you to pay $10 for a "SIM starter kit" and maintain wireless service with them. If you drop the plan or want to go prepaid, you have to pay the balance due for the phone.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile's advantage is the ability to pay in installments ($0 up front, $18/mo for 24 months)
So, pay $18/mo for 24 months plus let's say I chose the 100 mins, with unlimited text and data plan @ 30/mo. That would be $48/mo plus taxes/fees, alot cheaper then what I'm currently paying with Vzw and would get a better phone. Our family plan we're paying $160+. I can deal with the 100 mins. talk but the wife sure can't.

Upvote 0
So, pay $18/mo for 24 months plus let's say I chose the 100 mins, with unlimited text and data plan @ 30/mo. That would be $48/mo plus taxes/fees, alot cheaper then what I'm currently paying with Vzw and would get a better phone. Our family plan we're paying $160+. I can deal with the 100 mins. talk but the wife sure can't.

Installments are not an option with that plan.

Upvote 0
The unlocked Nexus 4 16 gb is only $299.99 outright, no contract or plan in Canada. These can be purchased from Best Buy, from the carrier Koodo. I purchased 1 for myself, best price I have seen. If anyone is near Canada, or has friends, get them to get it and send it to you. Again, these are the 16gb versions, I do not think I have ever seen an 8gb in Canada yet. Hope this helps someone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones