• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help nexus 5 on att gophone

jgriner

Sep 12, 2011
ive got my nexus 5 on att gophone non contract service. when I called 611 the automated service identified my phone as a basic phone, not a smartphone.

Right now im on the 60buck 2gb smartphone plan, but im thinking of trying to switch to a basic phone 50 buck unlimited plan. It appears that the plan does not have the 2gb data limit.

would the basic plan be 4g lte? would this even work? Any unforeseen problems?

https://www.paygonline.com/websc/rateplans/rateplan_en.jsp

gophone.png

ive got my nexus 5 on att gophone non contract service. when I called 611 the automated service identified my phone as a basic phone, not a smartphone.

Right now im on the 60buck 2gb smartphone plan, but im thinking of trying to switch to a basic phone 50 buck unlimited plan. It appears that the plan does not have the 2gb data limit.

would the basic plan be 4g lte? would this even work? Any unforeseen problems?

https://www.paygonline.com/websc/rateplans/rateplan_en.jsp

gophone.png
Might work for awhile, but I suspect they might eventually twig to it. They had me identified as a basic phone too but that was because I had my old Samsung flip phone in the system.

The $50 Basic phone plan is intended foe basic phones using mobile web, not full-up HSPA/LTE connections. However, I can't say I know how well they police this. Have used them since 2009 but never pt it to the test.

I also had trouble getting LTE at first on the $60 plan. They gave me a new SIM and provisioned my account, but was still showing only H. inally, they (with my permission) collected some data off the phone and 24 hours later, I had LTE showing up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones