• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus/Droid/G1/Pre/iPhone + Eris speed comparison

GrdLock

Android Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2009
Texas
I was just reading the Nexus article over at Ars (Google at the crossroads: a review of the Nexus One) and saw their phone benchmarks. So I decided to run a couple benchmarks on my Eris to see how it stacked up against the other phones.

I have to say, I was sorely disappointed in the Eris's performance. :( It scored basically equal to the G1 in both tests.

I made new charts based off theirs with my Eris's numbers. All credit for the other benchmarks goes to Ars. :)

n3qa1s.png

qqagc3.png

I couldn't get the other benchmarks they used to even complete on my phone. The Google V8 v3 or v5 wouldn't finish, and I couldn't get Dromaeo to run either.

I really would have hoped for better performance than the G1 at least. Oh well.

What did I tell you people....

The Eris uses a VERY old obsolete ARM11 CPU design. Now everyone can see what I have been talking about.

Just look how SLOW the Eris is in the charts.

Now the truth is layed before everyones eyes to see. This is what I have been talking about for long time now. This is the reason why the Eris LAGS so much.

There is NOTHING you can do about the Eris lag. The performance is just pathetic.

Upvote 0

The Eris uses a VERY old obsolete ARM11 CPU design. Now everyone can see what I have been talking about.

Now the truth is layed before everyones eyes to see. This is what I have been talking about for long time now. This is the reason why the Eris LAGS so much.

There is NOTHING you can do about the Eris lag. The performance is just pathetic.

Um...did you buy the Eris honestly thinking that it would perform close to or better than the Droid or Nexus One??? If so, you did not do your own research before buying and simply got it thinking it was a "less expensive" Droid.

Upvote 0
Um...did you buy the Eris honestly thinking that it would perform close to or better than the Droid or Nexus One??? If so, you did not do your own research before buying and simply got it thinking it was a "less expensive" Droid.

There are certain people on this forum that claim that the performance issues with the Eris are due to "user error" and things like that. Completely ignoring the fact that it uses a 3 or 4 year old processor. I think he was referring to those people - but he is correct, the Eris does have an outdated processor. It was outdated when they put it into the Hero, and even more outdated when they put it into the Eris.

Upvote 0
Cn you run the benchmarks with Sense UI turned off. Just curious what the difference would be.

Should just make the Linpack Benchmark higher. If you notice, the G1 scored better than the Eris, where there scores should be the same since they have the same processor. The only reason I could think the Eris would be lower would be due to Sense. But it's not going to be too far from what the G1 does.

Upvote 0

napster.... you are such a flame magnet. Tell your mom to take the Eris back and get you a nice palm pre. How is the law "suite" coming along?

Upvote 0
Take these benchmarks with a grain of salt as the Eris benchmark is coming from a different source.

That's completely true, was your system at factory settings? It's hard to reproduce a test without knowing the variables of the test. That being said the Eris isn't going to do much better, but who cares the Nexus one will be blown away in 3 months the same as the Eris.

Upvote 0
Eh, it's an outdated processor and all. It's ok. I'm a little disappointed, but my phone doesn't look like all the other phones out there, for example, an iPhone is easily recognizable, a Droid is big and clunky, and the rest are at the wireless store being fixed. You can't mistake an Eris for anything else, and the difference in speed is in milliseconds, so we won't even notice it.

Upvote 0
Also keep in mind benchmarks aren't always a good indicator of the speed differences users will be able to perceive in real life usage. An example would be my aging Intel Core 2 duo cpu. Benchmarks of the Core I7s make my cpu read as being obsolete but when it comes to everyday type tasks there isn't any noticeable difference, this mostly holds true even for high end gaming where the video card is the main worker. If it came down to video encoding that would be a difference story but like I said it all depends what it is being used for.

Upvote 0
Anyone that actually expected their Eris to outperform the Nexus or the Moto Droid needs to return their phone as soon as they can. It is obviously smarter than they are.

If I ever decide to get a Nexus, I will be sure to carry this benchmark around with me so I can point to it and say, "See, my phone is better than your phone." Of course that will be delivered in a childish sing-song tone.;)

Upvote 0
Anyone that actually expected their Eris to outperform the Nexus or the Moto Droid needs to return their phone as soon as they can. It is obviously smarter than they are.

+1!

The author really wasted his time in thinking the Eris would be anywhere near the other devices as far as logical performance is concerned. There is no doubt about it, the Eris is the slowest Android phone on Verizon. I could've told you that without you wasting all your time. Did you also know the world is mostly covered with water and the Sun is bigger than Earth? Just thought I'd enlighten you (author) on some other obvious facts.

Upvote 0
The Eris does everything that I and most smartphone users need it do do just fine. I don't experience this constant lag that a lot of people bring up on this site. That said, the lag is completely avoidable if you know how to take care of your phone and you have a realistic expectation for what it can do. I come from a blackberry pedigree, where watching your available memory and battery pulling daily was a must. So if you know how to properly close applications (using the back button, not the home button) and have realistic expectations from your phone, you will be fine.

Upvote 0
And to Napster, you obviously did your research and knew what the Eris processor was going in, so what can you possibly complain about? How could your expectations have been so far off base given what information you had? Either you were satisfied with the phone or you weren't, and if you weren't TAKE THE PHONE BACK and go bother someone else's forum... But its no one's fault other than your own, given your apparent "I have all the answers" attitude.

Upvote 0
+1!

The author really wasted his time in thinking the Eris would be anywhere near the other devices as far as logical performance is concerned. There is no doubt about it, the Eris is the slowest Android phone on Verizon. I could've told you that without you wasting all your time. Did you also know the world is mostly covered with water and the Sun is bigger than Earth? Just thought I'd enlighten you (author) on some other obvious facts.
Thanks Captain Douche for the enlightenment.

FYI: I wasn't expecting the Eris to be as fast as the Nexus One or the Droid. At the time I wasn't aware that the Eris had the same processor as the G1, so I was a little disappointed it didn't perform a decent bit faster than it, but that's all. The whole point of the post though was simply to show how the Eris really stacks up against other phones.

I'm not an idiot. Thanks.

Oh, and another FYI: I'm not complaining about the Eris's speed. I'm perfectly happy with my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones