• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One hardware outdated already?

ccoager

Mar 12, 2010
I've been waiting for the Nexus One on Verizon since February and still no release date. With some of the other phones that are coming out now, the Nexus One hardware is looking outdated already. Such as:

Better performing processor/graphics, e.g. Samsung Galaxy S
More RAM
Optical Trackball
802.11n + FM radio
Super AMOLED display
8mp camera
720p video recording

Probably some other things I can't think of also. I feel like if I wait a few more months there will be much better phones in the works than the Nexus One. Do I really want to spend $529 for an outdated phone? What do you guys think?

The N1 will be outdated when there are phones with dual-core processors. Not before. Anything prior to that point will just be slight improvements, not vast leaps forward an N1 owner should be jealous of.

Are you kidding? That one'll come out with a shitty TouchWiz skin on it, and good luck getting timely OS updates. For that matter, good luck finding big-name developers who will bother with it.

Has anyone notified you that the Android kernel officially available right now (both in the N1, Legend, Desire, whatever) can access, like, a lot less than 512 MB of RAM? Let alone 576.

Optical Trackball

Subjective.

802.11n + FM radio

Do... do you still listen to FM radio?

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for the Nexus One on Verizon since February and still no release date. With some of the other phones that are coming out now, the Nexus One hardware is looking outdated already. Such as:

More RAM
Optical Trackball
802.11n + FM radio
Super AMOLED display
8mp camera
720p video recording

Probably some other things I can't think of also. I feel like if I wait a few more months there will be much better phones in the works than the Nexus One. Do I really want to spend $529 for an outdated phone? What do you guys think?
You're talking about a phone that supposedly costs $1000 unsubsidized.

Upvote 0
i understand winmo and android is two different beats but idk how much you know about the omnia 2

it's supposed to be better than the htc imagio but trust me it's not, it seems like when samsung tries to do something new they screw it up.

but processor wise, lets look at the apple a4 chip to the snapdragon in the Nexus, i read that the a4 uses less battery and is about 30% more efficient, but idk how they figured that

but eventually the nexus will be out of date, it's call progression, you can't always wait for the next best thing because when one product becomes available there will be a better one announced, there is no reason to go backwards

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones