Nexus One hardware outdated already?

Last Updated:

1. ccoager

ccoager Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been waiting for the Nexus One on Verizon since February and still no release date. With some of the other phones that are coming out now, the Nexus One hardware is looking outdated already. Such as:

Better performing processor/graphics, e.g. Samsung Galaxy S
    More RAM
    Optical Trackball
    802.11n + FM radio
    Super AMOLED display
    8mp camera
    720p video recording

Probably some other things I can't think of also. I feel like if I wait a few more months there will be much better phones in the works than the Nexus One. Do I really want to spend $529 for an outdated phone? What do you guys think?

Advertisement
  2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

even the EVO doesn't have all that in it... it's a pick and choose game... if a phone had everything you listed it'd be one hell of an expensive phone... the price of the N1 ain't bad for what you get and it is still top of the game, it'll be around for a while

3. SLVR

SLVR Well-Known Member

Ask yourself if you need all that though. I mean developers are always getting their hands on things. If your just gonna get the phone and do nothing with it then its probably outdated when other phones carry better specs. But if your going to get and root it. Overclock etc then its a good buy still.

4. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

YES but while your samsung is just climbing to the hill of 2.2, our Nexus one will have cyanogen's mod with 3.1.

I mean I'm just saying. Google isn't about to abandon the N1 and the devs sure as hell aren't. I give it another 2 or 3 years. Maybe more.

5. SLVR

SLVR Well-Known Member

until the nexus 2 comes out atleast :)

6. Bill

Bill Well-Known Member

Do you have a release date for the Samsung Galaxy S? What about a phone with all those features?

7. ccoager

@Bill
    Samsung Galaxy - June?

No, I don't know of any phone with ALL of those features. My point is, its not unrealistic to think one may exist in the near future with the way technology goes.

8. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

The N1 will be outdated when there are phones with dual-core processors. Not before. Anything prior to that point will just be slight improvements, not vast leaps forward an N1 owner should be jealous of.

Are you kidding? That one'll come out with a shitty TouchWiz skin on it, and good luck getting timely OS updates. For that matter, good luck finding big-name developers who will bother with it.

Has anyone notified you that the Android kernel officially available right now (both in the N1, Legend, Desire, whatever) can access, like, a lot less than 512 MB of RAM? Let alone 576.

Subjective.

Do... do you still listen to FM radio?

9. SBERG

SBERG Well-Known Member

All i want to see the N1 do is play GIF files. Is there anyway for that to be done by a Modmaker or is that a Google thing only?

10. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

You're talking about a phone that supposedly costs $1000 unsubsidized.

11. ianken

ianken Member

Hardware is out of date the minute you click "buy." Seriously.

Don't worry. Enjoy your phone.

Jceinc likes this.
  12. Yeoman

Yeoman New Member

This.

13. ccoager

Thanks for the feedback guys.

14. cb00

cb00 New Member

Yep by the time the galaxy s comes out there will be another phone that kills it spec wise. I say pick the phone with the most support instead with a good user base. Those phones tend to last longer because the community pushes for more firmware updates and more customizations.

15. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

i understand winmo and android is two different beats but idk how much you know about the omnia 2

it's supposed to be better than the htc imagio but trust me it's not, it seems like when samsung tries to do something new they screw it up.

but processor wise, lets look at the apple a4 chip to the snapdragon in the Nexus, i read that the a4 uses less battery and is about 30% more efficient, but idk how they figured that

but eventually the nexus will be out of date, it's call progression, you can't always wait for the next best thing because when one product becomes available there will be a better one announced, there is no reason to go backwards

16. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I think I said before that if a phone has Samsung written on it - it will be rubbish in some way.

Also, what's wrong with their phone styling. Samsung make some beautiful TV's but quite frankly their phones are mingers.