• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One or Desire?

Mahyar

Jun 7, 2010
Hi,
I am a N97 User, and i'm looking forward to get an android phone. So far, I have made 2 choices: Nexus one, or Desire.
Now I'm stuck between these 2 choices, I don't know wich to buy. They say Desire has nothing more than nexus one but flash support and Sense UI.
Besides the flash support, I don't know what HTC Sense UI is. I have read Wikipedia articles but I didn't understand completly that what it does. Can someone explain me what it does to me (shortly)?
Also, I think the Nexus One looks better than Desire. What you think about that? :D

Hi,
I am a N97 User, and i'm looking forward to get an android phone. So far, I have made 2 choices: Nexus one, or Desire.
Now I'm stuck between these 2 choices, I don't know wich to buy. They say Desire has nothing more than nexus one but flash support and Sense UI.
Besides the flash support, I don't know what HTC Sense UI is. I have read Wikipedia articles but I didn't understand completly that what it does. Can someone explain me what it does to me (shortly)?
Also, I think the Nexus One looks better than Desire. What you think about that? :D

Sense ui is just a skin over android. I would look at some overviews on YouTube for sense. Also the desire doesn't have the hardware issues that the nexus one has. If I were you I would get the desire. The hardware is essentially the same.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I was asking myself exactly the same question some weeks ago, and I finally opted for the Desire, which I am very proud of it. The Nexus has many hardware problems, and besides that, I think that Google did not put a sufficient amount of motivation to sell its phone; this lack of motivation reflects in a not-so-good device, and also a bad worldwide distribution (it is still not available in my country, i.e., Belgium, but it is available all around Belgium... tell me why).

Upvote 0
Are the nexus one "Hardware" problems very annoying? I really like Nexus One (as I think you call it "Stock"), it has stock android. but Desire has android like the windows mobile interface, not real nexus one android interface. I hope you understand what I said... Also Nexus One looks alot better (that's why I love it alot more than Desire :p)
EDIT: With the movies of HTC Sense UI I have watched in YouTube, I think HTC sense has pich-to-zoom and the buttons under every application (like iPhone) and widgets. Is that all? Or does it give me more than this?

Upvote 0
having not used a phone with sense ui and only seen pics/videos with it, i'm not sure whether to regard it as a little bonus or a little bloatware... you can get brilliant widgets for free without it and if you don't like stock android's ui, there's a lot of different (free) home replacements available

the difference between these two phones that i'd care about is that the nexus one is more likely to be upgraded to new android versions for longer and will definitely do so faster, but on the other hand, users have reported some hw problems with it, unlike the desire (see the nexus one section in these forums)

Upvote 0
Update: I think I made my choice, I want to get the nexus one for blazing fast updates from google. Just can someone please tell me the "hardware" problems of nexus one so I can see if they are really serious or not?

There are 3g radio issues. Also the touch sensitive buttons apparently are unresponsive. And apparently the touch screen registers false positives when the phone gets warm after some heavy usage. It's not that the phone gets particularly hot from what I understand. It's just that the screen is a bit sensitive.

Upvote 0
Do you mean 3G signals by 3G radio? and I'm not in US anyway. I'm gonna buy it unlocked in my country.
I really like the stock android much more than the HTC edited android with sense UI. Do all the nexus ones have these hardware problems? If I have one of these problems and use the warranty to replace it with a new one, will it be fixed or any nexus has these problems?
Also, I wanted to ask that is the Desire straight or is it Bulgy? (My english is not so good, I hope you understand what I say... :rolleyes:)

Upvote 0
Guys does nexus one support widgets? I mean can I have something like the weather widget (or time or other widgets) that is on desire on my nexus one?

every android phone supports widgets, it's a feature of the os
whether or not a specific widget (like what you've seen on a desire) is available is another matter, but there are plenty to choose from in the market regardless

Upvote 0
i chose Nexus One over the Desire. even it (the Desire) was already available in my country. it takes a bit of history on using smartphone to come to this conclusion.

in anyway, i prefer 'stock' OS i.e. something that's 'pure' and as what the developers see that it (the OS) should be and not some swanky phone manufacturers's 'custom' add-on.

no offense, but i'd prefer manufacturer and OS to be from the same company. even though N1 is branded as a Google phone, it (Google) is not a hardware company (it's essentially a HTC item) but close enough.

well, that's just me. every phone has its fair share of 'issues', the questions are which has more of it and how serious the issues are. i turned my back on symbian and windows 'cos i have had enough unresolved issues and on top of that, each phone's lifespan is so short that the support is so lacking. the community becomes quiet about certain phone after just a few months or at best, a year.

i am betting on a slightly longevity for the N1 ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones