• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ionekoa

Sep 28, 2009
well, the only thing truely unique about the nexus S phone will be the addition of NFC, which the google folks seem absolutely giddy about. my question is this, what exactly is NFC? i know that it stands for "near field communications" and i know what it does, so the question is this; did they just decide to toss an RFID reader into the phone and give it a fancy new name to make everyone ooooh and ahhhh or is this actually something new and interesting? is it slated to be included in any other phones or possibly tablets? other than the novelty of it, why should i care? what actual real world benefits would it offer me?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Yeah. I pretty much dismissed it when I saw the Android 2.3 Official Video (search on YouTube, off-topic to post it here) and it showed that feature - but your post got me interested, so I googled it and naturally went to wrongepedia first -

Near field communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it confirmed that it's a mobile phone upgrade to RFID - and while I loath RFID, as I read that article, it sounded like a solution without a problem. At that point, I thought, well, maybe this will make BT setup easier - and yep, a second later it showed up that that's a proposed use. I guess that's a good thing, I never had trouble setting up BT, others have, so for that alone, why not?

Then I read this:

Near Field Communication: 6 Ways It Could Change Our Daily Lives

It points out all of the ways that nfc is a great and positive step forward in our digital lives.

But to me it just points out that the whole upcoming nfc industry must be in league with the devil.

But then, I'm not the sort that shares profiles with people I meet - I just ask them what they're in to. And enter email addresses by hand. And phone numbers.

And no freaking way is my life story going into my tombstone. Wait. Let me check. Nope. No way.

PS - nfc, unlike rfid, can be bi-directional.

PPS - I predict this, like all get-outta-my-yard things I reject, will take off like crazy.

Upvote 0
Then I read this:

Near Field Communication: 6 Ways It Could Change Our Daily Lives

It points out all of the ways that nfc is a great and positive step forward in our digital lives.

But to me it just points out that the whole upcoming nfc industry must be in league with the devil.

But then, I'm not the sort that shares profiles with people I meet - I just ask them what they're in to. And enter email addresses by hand. And phone numbers.

And no freaking way is my life story going into my tombstone. Wait. Let me check. Nope. No way.

PS - nfc, unlike rfid, can be bi-directional.

PPS - I predict this, like all get-outta-my-yard things I reject, will take off like crazy.

ok, just read the article, and... no, no, ok, maybe, definately not and im not so sure.

i can see doing the transit authority stuff, that's fine. korea has t-money which uses RFID cards, so i can see doing this with phones and i'm ok with that. i'm not ok with my credit card information being on there.

i saw a news piece years back about how some waiters were stealing peoples credit card info using handheld readers. the difference between this and that is they actually have to get your card out of your sight to do it. with the NFC, they could just brush up against you and get that info. then again, this could lead to a new clothing market for pockets that stop the radio signals. wow, can you imagine a world in which your clothing has to be technologically advanced enough to prevent identity theft? i don't think this is something i would take as an early adopter. the tombstone thing seems interesting, but i honestly don't know what the point would be. people rarely visit grave yards anyway. im not sure how much use that would be(though it would be kind of cool to have a "message from the grave" video).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones