No 3G, 'Use only 2G networks' always checked!

1. Aiceman

Aiceman New Member

Hi all,

I bought a Taiwanese Android ICS tablet called MyTab. I have loaded my SIM card in it and have created a profile with a new APN for accessing internet through my tab. But the problem is, I am not getting 3G speeds (same SIM on my phone says have 3G). So I checked in the settings and I see that the 'Use only 2G networks' is always checked no matter how many times I unchecked it.

What's the problem here? How do I get 3G speeds?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
    :
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

It could be faulty, buggy software, the tablet's 3G radio might be duff with only 2G working. Might be best to return it for repair or replacement.
  3. Aiceman

Aiceman New Member

yeah....but the problem is I bought this when I was traveling Malaysia, so no way of returning now. Isn't there anything I can try out? like a clean installation of the OS?

Thanks
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

You could try resetting it to factory defaults, see if that works. A software re-install could be worth a try. Not sure if there's any updated software from the manufacturer's website. Problem is, I can't identify who actually manufactured this tablet.

One thought though, are you in the US or Canada? If so, this device might not have a North American compatible 3G radio, 2G only.
  5. Aiceman

Aiceman New Member

I'm in Sri Lanka and I'm pretty sure this is compatible with 3G networks here.

Another thing I found was that when I search for available networks, I can't see the real operator names available in my area, instead some random names like 0), (3, 41302. But name is shown correctly in the status bar and I also can make phone calls. Why do I see some weird names when I make a search?
  6. alexparrado

alexparrado New Member

Hi man, did you solve it? I got the same problem.