• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No 3G, 'Use only 2G networks' always checked!

Aiceman

Lurker
Oct 7, 2012
Hi all,

I bought a Taiwanese Android ICS tablet called MyTab. I have loaded my SIM card in it and have created a profile with a new APN for accessing internet through my tab. But the problem is, I am not getting 3G speeds (same SIM on my phone says have 3G). So I checked in the settings and I see that the 'Use only 2G networks' is always checked no matter how many times I unchecked it.

What's the problem here? How do I get 3G speeds?

Thanks a lot!

You could try resetting it to factory defaults, see if that works. A software re-install could be worth a try. Not sure if there's any updated software from the manufacturer's website. Problem is, I can't identify who actually manufactured this tablet.

One thought though, are you in the US or Canada? If so, this device might not have a North American compatible 3G radio, 2G only.

Upvote 0
I'm in Sri Lanka and I'm pretty sure this is compatible with 3G networks here.

Another thing I found was that when I search for available networks, I can't see the real operator names available in my area, instead some random names like 0), (3, 41302. But name is shown correctly in the status bar and I also can make phone calls. Why do I see some weird names when I make a search?

Upvote 0
I'm in Sri Lanka and I'm pretty sure this is compatible with 3G networks here.

Another thing I found was that when I search for available networks, I can't see the real operator names available in my area, instead some random names like 0), (3, 41302. But name is shown correctly in the status bar and I also can make phone calls. Why do I see some weird names when I make a search?

Hi man, did you solve it? I got the same problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones