• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No more 4g mobile hotspot unless you update?

GodofBore

Jun 23, 2011
I have not updated yet but noticed all the sudden when I launch mobile hotspot it clearly calls it self "3g mobile hotspot". It used to say 4g. Last time I used it was a couple weeks ago. Are they blocking 4g to make you update or something? I maybe random rebooted once a week, so I don't want to risk updating till I need to, and know the update is ok. The hot spot says its still free, but only 3g comes up. I also tried swicting the LTE on/off but nothing changed. Oh also, does this update make it harder to root, i am on the fence about rooting. I don't want to make it harder on myself.

I called up Verizon to ask if my thunderbolt had free mobile hotspot (which was a promotion back in march-may I think) and since I just got the phone this month I wasn't that surprised to hear her say my phone didn't have it. She said that all Verizon phones were turned off of the free mobile hotspot as of this month and even if I tried to open the app (since it came with the thunderbolt), the app wouldn't work since it requires a purchase from Verizon first. I don't know if this is confirmed with anyone else but that is my 2 cents. I don't know about the 3g or 4g problem though, sorry.

Upvote 0
I think they only gave it to early people. As for the mobile hot spot, it was only good for me if the power went out, and the back-up battery dies(uverse rocks, got it for free before I kicked their shitty tv service out). Just find it funny that today(or at some point) my 4g hotspot became a 3g hot spot. I am gonna sit on unlimited data until they throw me off!

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem with not being able to update. You have to change your phone to cdma only from the LTE on of app so its on 1x and it will pull it. The bad thing is on 1x it takes almost 1.5 hours but the update is worth it. Sucks to loose mobile hotspot but great to not have reboots. I use to think mine only did it once a week or so but then I realized it was doing it in my pocket al day without me knowing. It was destroying my battery life and I was always having voicemail because my phone was rebooting

Upvote 0
Just checked while reading this post. It shows 4G as long as I have 4G coming in. Hotspot seems to turn on fine without any mention of paying for it.

I've had the phone over two months, and haven't done any OTA updates. Is it safe to assume it's still free for me, and that it will get turned off with the update?
Thanks

Tony

Upvote 0
I just called Verizon because I thought the mobile hotspot was still being promoted as free. Well just my luck, I was told the promotion ended like three days ago. I already have the $30 unlimited data plan, but was told if I want to use mobile hotspot or even tether it's another $30 a month. Bite me! I think unlimited data should be just that, oh well. Why should I have to pay another $30 to tether to my phone? I'm pissed.

Upvote 0
My hotspot is still working and I haven't updated.... Will I find charges in my next bill? Maybe I will but I'll be sure to dispute the charges.

And you (and everyone else not upgrading just so they can use the hotspot) will, or should, lose that dispute. Mobile Hotspot was never free... it was a promotion with a specific date for its ending. Don't be surprised to be charged.

Are you the same people that go into McDonald's a week after they have a promotion for a $1 Big Mac and complain that you missed out on it?? Seriously...

Upvote 0
I just called Verizon because I thought the mobile hotspot was still being promoted as free. Well just my luck, I was told the promotion ended like three days ago. I already have the $30 unlimited data plan, but was told if I want to use mobile hotspot or even tether it's another $30 a month. Bite me! I think unlimited data should be just that, oh well. Why should I have to pay another $30 to tether to my phone? I'm pissed.

You don't have to pay another $30 just don't use the hotspot ability. You should be grateful most other Verizon customers pay per gb with mobile hotspot

My hotspot is still working and I haven't updated.... Will I find charges in my next bill? Maybe I will but I'll be sure to dispute the charges.

The charges should be on your bill, you are using a service you should pay for that is detailed on your contract with them. Promotions end you are not entitled to still get the promotion afterwards.

Yup that's me.... And I'll use a coupon while I'm at it too. Then sit two seats from you and watch you eat your $7 big mac which tastes surprisingly similar to mine.

This is a general problem with people today everyone feels special and entitled to get whatever they want without having to do work or pay what it is worth, when in reality half of everyone is below average and the lower half usually feels more entitlement

Upvote 0
I think that being able to keep the 30.00 unlimited data feature on the phone is awesome! Being able to tether "multiple" devices "UNLIMITED" for another 30.00 is a great deal! You take your phone with you everywhere and you get to make your own 4g/3g mobile hotspot wherever you are at. That means you could go on vacation and want to watch tv on your laptop and have your friend use there tablet along with your friends friend that decided to tag along on your trip using her netbook to look for local resturants. Amazing! Did I mention it is UNLIMITED!! My home internet is not as fast as 4g service and I pay 70 bucks a month and I cant take it with me. Plus the tether option I can add or remove at anytime, cant say that with my home internet.
Just a little food for thought. I have the unlimited phone data and the unlimited mobile hot spot, love it!

Upvote 0
The only difference would be that you can't share it, tethering option works but its just for you. I don't believe you can connect a tablet with tethering not to mention a PSP xbox360 or a ps3 .. mobile hotspot is awesome !! And if your an unlimited customer $30 for a 4g connection with speeds capable of 30 down and 8 up (Chicago) friggen awesome!! By the way my Thunderbolt sucks ass now after this update!! I was one of the lucky few who had ZERO problems with my phone and after this update ..4G is almost non existent, 3g barely works and 1x sucks!! Luckily the phone still makes phone calls, I was hoping that maybe there was an outage in my area but nope.... Have a replacement on the way!! I really hope the replacement is problem free.. I purchased this device out of contract $$Expensive$$ I will absolutely insist on a Droid charge if I continue to have issues but I hope it doesn't .. I like this phone more than the Charge!!

Upvote 0
<snip

The charges should be on your bill, you are using a service you should pay for that is detailed on your contract with them. Promotions end you are not entitled to still get the promotion afterwards.

This is a general problem with people today everyone feels special and entitled to get whatever they want without having to do work or pay what it is worth, when in reality half of everyone is below average and the lower half usually feels more entitlement

I just got back from being out of country and have not updated yet. I still get 4G (7977KBS through my iPod Touch) and got the "you get free service for a limited time" notice when I turned on the hotspot.

There is no date for cutoff of free hotspot service on the alert so I don't see how they can charge me.

FWIW
DLM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones