• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No More Excuses - Where's the flash!

I hate the idea of flash. My battery life's not bad, but with flash every ruddy little advert and banner will be taxing the poor thing unnecessarily. Maybe if it was completely disabled and you had to physically select the flash object to start it I could live with it.

My laptop battery last about 4 hours with Evony loaded in the browser, I hate to think how my phone would feel about that.

Upvote 0
I hate the idea of flash. My battery life's not bad, but with flash every ruddy little advert and banner will be taxing the poor thing unnecessarily. Maybe if it was completely disabled and you had to physically select the flash object to start it I could live with it.

My laptop battery last about 4 hours with Evony loaded in the browser, I hate to think how my phone would feel about that.
Flash + Adblock Plus + NoScript = No problem.

Upvote 0
HTML 5 hopefuls will be holding their breath for a very long time. It will take 2-3 years before it's all finalized; plus the other big problem it that even when the spec. is ready, many Web users still won't have the latest browser to even view HTML 5 video.

As of this post the global IE browser stats for Jan. 2010 are: 10.41% still using IE 6, 15.59% using IE 7, and 23.69% using IE 8. That is a total of 49.69% IE users who "cannot" view HTML 5 video. You will need IE 9 to come out and then you will need every single IE user to upgrade to it. So the actual use of HTML 5 will likely be 3-4 years from now before you see web developers with much confidence to start coding for it.

On the other side of the controversy coin, is that Flash on the iPhone is not really the issue for Apple. Apple also doesn't want Silverlight or Java on it either. The "real issue" is all about money. Apple gets a 30% cut for every application sold through their store (and they love that). The problem to them, is that IF Flash was available on the iPhone, then people would just start using the free apps. and playing the free games on the Web and stop buying as much from the Apple store.

Unfortunately for Apple though, most all cell phones except iPhone and iPad will have a Flash player 10.1+ available by the end of 2011. Whether Apple likes it or not, people just want to have a choice for their Web experience. If you don't like Flash or don't want it running while you surf, you can just turn it off, however, it has to be available first!

Apple is going to get a big lesson this year, and that lesson is that people don't like it when you mess with their freedom of choice and their Web experience. If you are a Flash hater then fine turn it off, but if you want to use Flash then you should at least be given the choice to use it if you want to.

Upvote 0
Since I started working for IBM 6th March 1973 there seems to have been occasional, consistent & persistent disconnects between customer's expectations as regards new function & product (IT related industries and products) & reality as regards what actually arrives & when: Nothing changes eh?

Cheers!

Lodger (Now retired and still not understanding anything technical..)

(I think it was 1974 I first got involved in the "paperless office: Still waiting!)

Upvote 0
can say the same about Adobe
I agree. I'm waiting for adobe to get around to getting it to work on more than a device or two.

I mean, I'm not an Apple fan, but does anyone really believe that if Apple came out today and announced they would allow Flash on the iPhone(or the iPad for that matter), that Adobe could actually do it? I have my doubts based on their history of not getting Flash to almost any mobile devices.

My message to Adobe is get the damn thing working , then bitch that Apple won''t allow it.

Upvote 0
yea but the only reason apple is holding out for HTML5 is because they have no other choice after jobs rant, there is no way they will ever get adobe to even think about making flash for iphone
What makes you think Adobe can even get Flash to work on the iphone? They haven't exactly got a good track record with Flash for mobile.

Upvote 0
i just watched some vids from Vimeo.com not all are converted I guess, since can't watch all of them, but the quality of the ones that work on the Nexus are quite stunning... HTML5 and h.264... all you need really.... f@#$ Adobe and Flash... their "closed" standard and mentality aren't doing anyone any good... and it's stiffling progress, but luckily HTML5 is changing that...

give Vimeo a try with your Nexi... vid quality is quite good! :D

sadly... your wish may come true...

Adobe and Nexus One - Flash 10.1 and "Air" News and Video

Adobe Developer Connection

Upvote 0
HTML 5 hopefuls will be holding their breath for a very long time. It will take 2-3 years before it's all finalized; plus the other big problem it that even when the spec. is ready, many Web users still won't have the latest browser to even view HTML 5 video.

As of this post the global IE browser stats for Jan. 2010 are: 10.41% still using IE 6, 15.59% using IE 7, and 23.69% using IE 8. That is a total of 49.69% IE users who "cannot" view HTML 5 video. You will need IE 9 to come out and then you will need every single IE user to upgrade to it. So the actual use of HTML 5 will likely be 3-4 years from now before you see web developers with much confidence to start coding for it.

On the other side of the controversy coin, is that Flash on the iPhone is not really the issue for Apple. Apple also doesn't want Silverlight or Java on it either. The "real issue" is all about money. Apple gets a 30% cut for every application sold through their store (and they love that). The problem to them, is that IF Flash was available on the iPhone, then people would just start using the free apps. and playing the free games on the Web and stop buying as much from the Apple store.

Unfortunately for Apple though, most all cell phones except iPhone and iPad will have a Flash player 10.1+ available by the end of 2011. Whether Apple likes it or not, people just want to have a choice for their Web experience. If you don't like Flash or don't want it running while you surf, you can just turn it off, however, it has to be available first!

Apple is going to get a big lesson this year, and that lesson is that people don't like it when you mess with their freedom of choice and their Web experience. If you are a Flash hater then fine turn it off, but if you want to use Flash then you should at least be given the choice to use it if you want to.

Razorx,

Thanks for the input.

The finalization date I heard for html5 is something like 2020, but they already have some components being used in different browsers today. So it is going to be a slow roll out and the key is really the adoption rate by website developers.

I also agree with the comments that Adobe can be imperfect, but I need to see websites from my phone and especially the flash components. So for me it worth the hassle.

Flash will open a lot more content than just websites and that is another reason I am looking forward to it. I feel that this will be an advantage that will help drive the Android options providing a potentially significant increase in what is made available to us.

All the articles that I can find pretty much states that flash will be out the first half of this year. So the fact they did not use Q1 2010 might mean they are going to role it out slowly on different platforms during the next few months. Then again it could just mean that they don't know. :)

Upvote 0
The finalization date I heard for html5 is something like 2020, but they already have some components being used in different browsers today. So it is going to be a slow roll out and the key is really the adoption rate by website developers.

This really gets down to what we're looking at today. HTML 5 is still in the works and won't be finalized for years to come. We're seeing browsers implementing certain aspects of the proposed standard, but I don't think that gets us anywhere near implementing a replacement for Flash. In other words, they're implementing "the easy stuff." I'm no pro web developer, but I've seen how IE, Firefox, and others render pages differently, so standards doesn't mean a consistent experience. How long until browsers implement enough of the HTML 5 standard in a consistent manner? Only then will enough of it be used in web development and begin to eat away at the Flash base.

I look at it like this. Jobs is telling his kid, "No, you can't have a bicycle because in 4 years you'll be old enough for a car." That doesn't make any sense!

I find the whole Apple / Flash argument funny. Here we have Jobs dissing Flash because it is a proprietary product and speaking praise of HTML 5 because it is an open standard. Apple is all about their proprietary platforms that they rule with an iron fist, so it just amazes me how he get's off criticizing Adobe.

I don't want to seem like I'm attacking any one side and praising the other. I just want to see people be allowed to make their own choices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones