• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No More Lag, Better Battery Life and Much More!

tiagomenezzes

Oct 27, 2010
What started as a discussion over at XDA-Developers to try and resolve serious lag problems that some users experienced with their DHD is now proving to be a resolution to most of the problems reported with this device. Apparently turning 'usb debugging mode' ON is the resolution.

The thread was first started by a user who noticed that whenever he was experiencing lag issues an Android process called /INIT was taking anywhere from 70% to 100% of his CPU usage. /INIT is a core process to the Android bootup sequence which should go 'dormant' after the bootup itself.

What many users noticed after this was found is that whenever the lag problems started /INIT would take some 90% of the phone's CPU usage and not go back to its 'dormant' state... Even when the phone was idle and not being used.

After applying the fix many people are reporting the phone running as smooth as they have even seen it running. Also users are reporting that recording video is no longer jerky and they can browse through the gallery smoothly and with no delays.

The more relevant yet, and what may prove to be the best contribution from all this, is that some users are now reporting really amazing battery life performance.

Its important to say that the so-called 'bug' doesnt seem to be HTC related but rather an Android 2.2 issue, as the performance issues are also being reported on other handsets running the latest Google OS - with some sources reporting that Google is soon to release an update to Froyo 2.2, possibly to resolve this bug.

==============

In order to turn 'usb debugging mode' ON go to: menu >> settings >> applications >> development

==============

This may not be the resolution to everybody's problems but is something deffinitely worth trying. It would also be interesting for people to post here and let the other know if they notice any improvement to their phone's performance or not.

Hope this is helpfull, at least to some!

I read about this last Friday on another forum, and have noticed a little improvement with battery life but more importantly NO LAG! I was also experiencing lag, especially when video recording or scrolling through different homescreens, and with the active wallpaper.

This is never good when you are meant to be showing off you phone to your mates, or your brother who comments "whats with the lag, think i'll stick with my iPhone!"

DD

Upvote 0
I enabled this the other day when I used the temporary root app. I haven't noticed lag like I did the first week or really bad battery performance. I just assumed it was my tweaking settings and battery conditioning that had fixed most things, but perhaps this was it.

It would explain why some of us had really bad battery performance and others were saying it was fine...

Upvote 0
I've noticed better battery & no lag since the .6 update. Am i to switch the USB Debugging mode to ON too?

Hi arlrb!

It's really up to you. If you are not experiencing any lag issues then, thats great. I just thought I would post this in here because the solution for that bug was found only about 2 days ago over at XDA-DEV and I thought it would be of great help to some people here as well.

As I said before, there thread started because of the lag but then they found that this work-around actually fixes most of the problems that have been reported with this phone.

Who knows, you can always give it a try and see how it goes.

I'm unfortunately still waiting for my phone, so I have plenty of time to research while it doesnt arrive. :)

Reactions: arlrb
Upvote 0
Thanks for this tip. I'll definately give this ago as I am one of the ones that gets serious lag. I notice it when scrolling through the gallery.

I have switched it on and rebooted my phone for good measures. And will report back with my findings.

Happy that I could be of some help. :)

The thread at XDA-DEV is over 26 pages long and took me a while to run through all their comments, what I wrote above is just an assemble of the most important topics as I think that this discovery is really important and as much people as possible should be made aware of it.

According to them you should notice your phone running smoothly as soon as you turn usb debugging On.

Reactions: SithSurfer
Upvote 0
It's quite funny because everyone was reporting that Rooting your device and have a cache cleaner solves the lag but in order to root your device you actually need to tick USB debugging.

I can't comment on the battery life because i did this on the 3rd day i had the phone. The battery life is still fkn shocking! I can't wait for the Mugen 1800mah battery to come out. I'm not even a heavy user and i can chew through 40-60% of my battery life whilst at work with no wifi, no GPS, no calling just bluetooth on, sending and receiving about 20-40 messages and about 30 mins of browsing plus another few facebook and forum updates throughout the day.

Upvote 0
Happy that I could be of some help. :)

The thread at XDA-DEV is over 26 pages long and took me a while to run through all their comments, what I wrote above is just an assemble of the most important topics as I think that this discovery is really important and as much people as possible should be made aware of it.

According to them you should notice your phone running smoothly as soon as you turn usb debugging On.

Well I can say this DOES work for me. No more lag while viewing the gallery or anywhere else for that matters. Also I have noticed a slight increase in battery life. But this may still be the fact that it's a new battery thats still bedding in...............Thanks again.:D

Upvote 0
It's quite funny because everyone was reporting that Rooting your device and have a cache cleaner solves the lag but in order to root your device you actually need to tick USB debugging.

I can't comment on the battery life because i did this on the 3rd day i had the phone. The battery life is still fkn shocking! I can't wait for the Mugen 1800mah battery to come out. I'm not even a heavy user and i can chew through 40-60% of my battery life whilst at work with no wifi, no GPS, no calling just bluetooth on, sending and receiving about 20-40 messages and about 30 mins of browsing plus another few facebook and forum updates throughout the day.

Suggest you download some monitoring tools to see what's going on there. Ensure that any of your email accounts aren't set to sync every 15 minutes (like mine were), and remove any applications like BBC news, Sky news, Skype - including their widgets.

I get a 1.5 days out of mine now after some initial problems (that sound the same as yours), and that's with moderate usage. Easily do a full day 7am-11pm without any need to charge, even with heavy use.

Upvote 0
Wow thanks for telling us about this. I just turned on Debugging mode. (I did need to turn it on once when using a temp root app) But damn this certainly makes the whole DHD experience much more better. There's literally no lag at all! The transitions between pictures and screens are silky smooth. The other day there was extreme delays when viewing photos through a widget on my screen. And now it flicks through them with no problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones