No Root Camera Mute!Tips

1. luke318is

luke318is Well-Known Member

my loud camera click is embarassing in many situaions. rooted phones have a solution to this problem. i dont know how to root dont think i have the time.

Does anyone know how to mute the camera shutter sound on this phone?

Advertisement
  2. icedtea

icedtea Well-Known Member

if you're unit is in silent/vibrate mode, the cam shutter sound is off.
  3. luke318is

nope not on my phone. its european i9100 does that make a difference?
  4. kebark

kebark Well-Known Member

Hi Luke, what you need to do is update with KIES to the newest firmware. If you then use silent mode on your phone the camera is silent. Note however that if you do update for some silly reason it also takes away the ability to use different text skins (a minor issue but one that does seem to have annoyed some users)
    luke318is likes this.
  5. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Yep, you need newer firmware.

Once you're on a newer firmware you can you Tasker to set the phone to Silent on starting the camera app (and turn silent off on exit), that way it all happens automatically.

Tasker doesn't need Root either.
    luke318is likes this.
  6. talon747

talon747 New Member

If you have latest firmware

Settings > sound > Volume

turn down the system volume

It also turns down your Key click etc but doesn't impact alarms
    luke318is likes this.
  7. luke318is

sweet! any quick tips on how to upgrade firmware?
  8. Twinn

Twinn Well-Known Member

just connect it through Kies and update... simple as that. At least i did it this way and everything is working fine :)

ps. if u need camera firmware update its in Samsung apps.
  9. Jkb77

Jkb77 New Member

I am trying to do this but it tells me this version of the device can not be updated?
  10. Twinn

Twinn Well-Known Member

u r saying about camera update or kies update ?
  11. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

well kies updates are really slow. i'd recommend flashing via Odin. flash KG2/3/6, they're all gingerbread 2.3.4 and the shutter sound is mutable :D
  12. Twinn

Twinn Well-Known Member

when i was doing update through kies it was actually quite fast... but i heard diffrent opinions... and btw he said his phone is not rooted so he propably have 2.3.3 still... ;)
  13. heshanj

yes, depends on the region i guess, but as u can find the firmware updates online (on xda forum etc) faster than kies, odin is always a better option.

and u dont need to root to update ur firmware. so the OP can just get the newest firmware from xda (im using KG6 flashed today) and flash it via Odin. boom, running 2.3.4, no need to root :) and muted camera on silent mode :D
    Twinn likes this.
  14. Twinn

Twinn Well-Known Member

oh i didnt realised that :p SGS2 is my first phone with android so i`m still kind of a "noob" ;) i`m waiting for official 2.3.4 update but if u say i can do it without rooting i ll give it a go... thanks for info :)
  15. heshanj

cheers, go for it ;)
  16. luke318is

i dont really undrrstand. when i connect my lhone to a pc it says kies but i dont think kies is installed on my pc....

anyways, im on a boat for 10 days any way to do the update via samsung apps like you said? i cant find the firmware on samsung apps...
  17. loony

loony Well-Known Member

i have tasker and a bit new to it, but i couldnt get it to mute the sound?
    1)chose the camera app
    2) +'ed tasks of mute every sound
    3)apply....but it still make a sound?

4)**edit, i added the unmute all on exit, didnt make any difference.

am i doing something wrong or have they made a changed in the firmware?
    (on KF4) i cant find no "camera mute" kinda thing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Twinn

Twinn Well-Known Member

first of all install Kies on your PC! and check update... and in samsung apps there is app called Camera firmware update. it has to be there cause the place i downloaded it from. try it and come back with results :)
  19. Peninsula

Peninsula Member

@luke318is & Jkb77, I agree with NZtechfreak.

Just did a test photo on my phone and with the update to KE7 via Kies (not Kies Air - to avoid confusion!!) the shutter makes no sound when phone is on silent.

Seems to me this is problem solved without Odin, root, Tasker, or any other non-OEM solutions.
  20. luke318is

ah i misunderstood. i thought you meant the samsunv apps APP on my phone. i guess ill have to wait until i get home to try kies. no way to get the update via 3g...
  21. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

@Loony: Task should just be to set Silent on, exit task to set Silent to off, you don't need to set every individual sound setting to zero. You have to be on a firmware where the shutter is silent when in silent mode in order for this to work of course (older firmwares don't have this).
  22. loony

loony Well-Known Member

hmm....setting on silent does not mute the shutter sound. spewin.

once again on KF4.
  23. lankunit

lankunit Well-Known Member

Just wait for the official 2.3.4 firmware. In this update they made it so when your phone is on silent the camera doesn't make any shutter noise. This shutter noise was mainly put in place to prevent people taking pictures when they are not allowed to.
  24. loony

loony Well-Known Member

ah ok.
  25. zylinsk

zylinsk New Member

Most of you say to upgrade to the latest firmware - I know this is an old thread and most of you were using 2.3.3, and saying to upgrade to 2.3.4 to get the option of a silent camera. I first came across this when I had 2.3.4, and silent mode did nothing to mute the camera. I have since upgraded to 2.3.6 and then to 4.0.3, but still silent mode does nothing!

Tasker seems good to automate it, but does it actually have more control? at a $6 app I'm not keen to try it just for this.

Any other ideas?