• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Service/Signal

SirEagle

Android Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2010
Akron, Ohio
I have had 4 or 5 times in the past two months that my service dies completely, I think the radio gets screwed up. Anyhow the only way I've found to get it back is to do a FXZ. I believe this is being caused by my battery, anyone think that might be possible? The last three times it has happened I had the phone in my front pants pocket and was in my basement doing the exact same husehold chore. I'm thinking the battery has an issue and with it in my pocket I get in a certain position and a certain amount of pressure, a certain way, could be doing something with the voltage somehow. Sounds crazy but just wondered if anyone else has had anysimilar weirdness. Happened since going to JB and has caused me to lose root now because had to FXZ. I just switched back to my stock battery from my OEM extended that I've been using since getting my D in Oct. 2011.

I have had 4 or 5 times in the past two months that my service dies completely, I think the radio gets screwed up. Anyhow the only way I've found to get it back is to do a FXZ. I believe this is being caused by my battery, anyone think that might be possible? The last three times it has happened I had the phone in my front pants pocket and was in my basement doing the exact same husehold chore. I'm thinking the battery has an issue and with it in my pocket I get in a certain position and a certain amount of pressure, a certain way, could be doing something with the voltage somehow. Sounds crazy but just wondered if anyone else has had anysimilar weirdness. Happened since going to JB and has caused me to lose root now because had to FXZ. I just switched back to my stock battery from my OEM extended that I've been using since getting my D in Oct. 2011.

It's possible that your phone has a very weak signal when you are in the basement. That is death on batteries - the phone increases the power to the antenna to try to find a signal. Try putting the phone into airplane mode the next time you go into the basement to do that chore and see if the same battery drain happens.

Upvote 0
Is your Bionic root-ed or has it ever been root-ed?

... Thom
Has been, isn't now that I had to FXZ after installing JB.

It's possible that your phone has a very weak signal when you are in the basement. That is death on batteries - the phone increases the power to the antenna to try to find a signal. Try putting the phone into airplane mode the next time you go into the basement to do that chore and see if the same battery drain happens.
3 bars upstairs, 2 bar in the basement.

Upvote 0
Did it again today. Difference this time was I was not at home. At work on lunch, out side using browser for a while everything has been fine. Got done put phone in pocket, went back in building and noticed phone was warm, pulled it out of pocket and it's rebooting. When it came up there was no signal and rebooted about every 2 minutes. Got it shutdown and left it off for about 15 minutes, made sure phone was cooled off and rebooted, no signal and rebooting still. Went into TiB and did a clean Dalvik, rebooted and no change. Went into recovery and wiped Dalvik, no change. Got it shut down, left it off for 3 hours, pulled battery(just for the hell of it), insert battery, boot up, no signal and rebooting. Had to use HoB and do a FXZ keeping data, booted up and got a signal, all seems good. Re-root with Linux. I had ran for about a week on standard battery with no issues, bought a new Moto OEM extended had it in about 5 or 6 days before it freaked out today. Back to the standard and I keep it in for a longer period of time. Seems to be something with extended batteries though. Or maybe she's just getting ready to die. Time will tell.

Sorry for the long story but if others have a similar issue I want to share what I do and find.

Upvote 0
I would try running for a while unrooted to see if you have the same problem, just to rule out something that has to do with root.
That's my next step. Right now running the standard battery and see if that does it. No real clue but something causes it to over heat, not sure if the signal lose is before or after it heats up either. I've been rooted almost since I got the phone and have always used an extended battery.

Upvote 0
Overheated again today, shortly after using browser and in a building with real bad reception. Had to do a FXZ, tried a factory reset first. This was after leaving phone off for two hours. Then while re-loading apps, overheated again.

Got online(on PC) with VZW and they are sending me a replacement. Hopefully the replacement will be running at 1.2Ghz. Find out Friday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones