• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No sound from speakers

Hey all, so I'm having an issue with my S6 I literally JUST bought. All of these issues started within a week of ownership.

I was listening to youtube through my headphones one afternoon and my S6 started making static sounds at full volume, starting running slow, and all sound stopped from the speaker. I restarted the phone and everything sorted itself out.

A few days after that, I lost all notification sounds, app sounds, etc. If I make a phone call, I can not hear the dial tone, however when the person answers, I can hear them normally though the ear speaker and external speaker. I have no sound through head phones either, and the phone is recognizing when it's unplugged, so I'm assuming it's not stuck in headphone mode. This has been intermittent, however now it just seems to stay that way for weeks at a time. I also notice that when this occurs all video plays either half speed, or double speed with no sounds. That's via Youtube, instagram, Facebook etc.

So far I've tried a hard reset, running software updates, clearing cache, cleaning headphone and charge ports, and had no success.

I contacted Samsung and they were absolutely no help. Unfortunately, since the glass on the rear is cracked they won't warranty it. (Long story about a crappy Otterbox case design... no foam support around the ring surrounding the camera, so if any pressure is applied to the back of the case in your pocket or on a phone mount, it shatters it right around the camera. In the process of arguing that with them.)

Seems to me like this has to be a software issue, but I've run into a wall trying to diagnose this. Any help would be appreciated.

If an issue persists after a software reset, you're most likely looking at a problem with the hardware, sorry. :(

Coupled with the fact you've mentioned the glass is cracked, I'm guessing there must be some internal damage too.

I'll move to the S6 forum, see if the guys there have any other suggestions.

I'd definitely press the issue with otterbox too, their customer service is normally spot on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones