• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No WiFi connection with phone but works with Kindle Fire

CharlesLewis

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
This past week we stayed at a timeshare in the mountains where we had no service but where the office had WiFi. To my surprise, however, when I went down to check email, I discovered my Kindle Fire had no problems connecting to the internet, but my Droid X would not work. It showed the network and indicated it was connected with plenty of strength, but all of my efforts with several apps got error messages that the internet was not available.

Why would the Kindle work and the Droid not? They both work at several internet sites I use elsewhere. And more important, is there a way to solve this problem the next time we are up there?

Of course, I have no control over the router there, so if that's the problem, I guess I'll just be out of luck. Thankfully I do have cell service in a town down the mountain, which we visited a few times during the week, so I could do an update while down there.

I'm hoping, however, that someone with more expertise might have a solution that might work even if I can't change the router.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones