• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Deleted wifi connection

gokcn

Lurker
Nov 24, 2022
Hi everybody. I'm using an android 10 phone. I deleted some wifi connections, now I need to restore one of them. Since random mac adress is activated, each time my phone gets a new mac adress when I connect to a wifi. I need to connect with my old mac adress which was created randomly. Is it possible to restore the connection or find the old mac adress for that connection. In other words, I can connect to wifi, there is no problem with that. My problem is, the old connection's mac address had priority. I was able to use internet without limitations, now new connection has a new mac addres and I have no priority. No I cant get privillage to my new mac address, no I dont have access to modem's settings if I could, I would define my new mac address as privillage.Thank you all.

What kind of router so you have? Is it an ISP-supplied modem/router or a separate, discreet router?

A MAC address is just a device identifier and that is solely dependent on your Galaxy S10. A typical home router uses a device's MAC address to identify and interact with it when it assigns it an IP address. So it makes no difference whether your Galaxy S10 is set up to have its fixed or a rotating MAC address, the router's DHCP service will still assign it an IP address.
If you're unable to access your router's setup menu, that reduces your options. Disable random MAC addressing in your phone, reboot it, and that will return it back to its original, fixed MAC address. Apparently this router has assigned IP addressing set up for your phone, and there are service prioritization implemented. Both are intentionally configured options, they're not defaults so either ask whomever did set up the router to change things or find out how you can get control of the router's set up menu.

Reactions: gokcn and Dannydet
Upvote 0
It's not an option to access the router's setup for me. My phone is getting ip from router like everybody else. There is a mac address defined as a privallage user, bu luck, at first connection my phone took that mac adress, I was using internet without limitations, I deleted the connection from my phone and reconnected. Now I have a different mac adress with no privillage. I want to find out my old random mac address, if I can find it, I will change my phone's mac address and gain unkimited internet again. Is there a file in the android system that old connections or mac addresses have been stored?

Upvote 0
What kind of router so you have? Is it an ISP-supplied modem/router or a separate, discreet router?

A MAC address is just a device identifier and that is solely dependent on your Galaxy S10. A typical home router uses a device's MAC address to identify and interact with it when it assigns it an IP address. So it makes no difference whether your Galaxy S10 is set up to have its fixed or a rotating MAC address, the router's DHCP service will still assign it an IP address.
If you're unable to access your router's setup menu, that reduces your options. Disable random MAC addressing in your phone, reboot it, and that will return it back to its original, fixed MAC address. Apparently this router has assigned IP addressing set up for your phone, and there are service prioritization implemented. Both are intentionally configured options, they're not defaults so either ask whomever did set up the router to change things or find out how you can get control of the router's set up menu.
I replied your post below. Thank you.

Upvote 0
It's not an option to access the router's setup for me. My phone is getting ip from router like everybody else. There is a mac address defined as a privallage user, bu luck, at first connection my phone took that mac adress, I was using internet without limitations, I deleted the connection from my phone and reconnected. Now I have a different mac adress with no privillage. I want to find out my old random mac address, if I can find it, I will change my phone's mac address and gain unkimited internet again. Is there a file in the android system that old connections or mac addresses have been stored?

So when you have random MAC addressing enabled in your phone, it's the Android operating system that determines the random addresses. You do not have any way to set it up to what you specify. So hypothetically, even if you were able to magically find out just which MAC address your phone was showing at that time whenever someone set up your phone to use this router's WiFi access, that particular MAC address is irrelevant. You are not going to be able to duplicate it anyway.
It's still a matter where you need to either A) disable random MAC addressing in your phone and have whoever is in charge of this router's maintenance and upkeep to reassign your phone a new WiFi access now based on your phone's actual MAC address or B) leave random MAC addressing enabled on your phone and convince the router's manager that they should allow your phone to use DHCP instead of assigned IP addressing so it makes no difference which MAC address your phone might be emitting.
You can keep trying to mess with your phone but it's how the router is configured that's the source of your problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones