• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi not working???

I have my Pixel 7Pro, service provided by Google Fi, configured to use WiFi for phone calls. However, sometimes the connection drops so I wondered if the call is really using WiFi. In order to test things, I ran WireShark on a notebook and looked at the activity on the house's WiFi network. While I saw WiFi activity from other devices on the house's wireless network, I saw nothing from my phone - even when I explicitly opened a web page, etc.

I believe that the phone is configured properly - when I go to Settings-> Network -> Internet -> settings for the local WiFi, I see that the phone has the proper IP address (as I have reserved addresses, based on the MAC address, for all devices) and the phone claims to be connected to the local network. What the heck is going on????

More information, possibly useful: On my PC, I ping’ed the IP address of my phone. In WireShark, I do not see the ping’s being sent, but a) the PC indicates that the ping was successful an b) in WireShark I see the response from the phone’s IP being sent to 192.168.xx.255 (xx in my local domain number).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Google has a 11-step list of things to try when Fi WiFi Calling isn't working:
You've probably tried a lot of them already but it might be worth just trying (or re-trying) each again.

Upvote 0
Google has a 11-step list of things to try when Fi WiFi Calling isn't working:
You've probably tried a lot of them already but it might be worth just trying (or re-trying) each again.
The issue is not WiFi calls per se, but rather I am not sure if my phone is actually using WiFi.

In terms of my using WireShark - I did some more looking and it was suggested that Monitor Mode be turned on for the wireless interface. However, on my notebook, that cannot be done (I tried). What might some other options be? Find another computer?

Upvote 0
The issue is not WiFi calls per se, but rather I am not sure if my phone is actually using WiFi.

In terms of my using WireShark - I did some more looking and it was suggested that Monitor Mode be turned on for the wireless interface. However, on my notebook, that cannot be done (I tried). What might some other options be? Find another computer?
If you're wondering if your phone is connected to your home WiFi network or to your Google Fi cellular network, disable mobile data on your Pixel and then see if the WiFi icon in the upper Status bar is showing a strong WiFi signal. Do a test with a web browser app to confirm your phone has online access. Typically, even if you do or don't have mobile data enabled, the default state will be to use WiFi when available.

Regarding using WireShark to confirm is your Pixel is or isn't connected to your home network, that's a bit of an overkill solution. WireShark is a very capable utility, but it's intended to be used as a network packet analyzer. You will get more relevance checking your home router's setup/config menu to see which devices are connected to it. Your router is what manages and maintains your entire home LAN, WireShark is just a way to get a deep level analysis of the network traffic running through your LAN.

Upvote 0
If you're wondering if your phone is connected to your home WiFi network or to your Google Fi cellular network, disable mobile data on your Pixel and then see if the WiFi icon in the upper Status bar is showing a strong WiFi signal. Do a test with a web browser app to confirm your phone has online access. Typically, even if you do or don't have mobile data enabled, the default state will be to use WiFi when available.

Regarding using WireShark to confirm is your Pixel is or isn't connected to your home network, that's a bit of an overkill solution. WireShark is a very capable utility, but it's intended to be used as a network packet analyzer. You will get more relevance checking your home router's setup/config menu to see which devices are connected to it. Your router is what manages and maintains your entire home LAN, WireShark is just a way to get a deep level analysis of the network traffic running through your LAN.
Thank you. I disabled mobile data and the two icons I see are the Wifi indicator (which appears strong and I was able to use connect to the phone just now to get the screen grab) and the signal indicator (I think) which shows an exclamation point. I believe that you are suggesting that this means that WiFi is working. Yes, WireShark can dive deep, btu it also shows activity and I would feel a lot better if I saw that...

icons.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones