• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Noob question - flashing kernels

Alrighty..
So I have some things to ask about flashing kernels. Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I just rooted yesterday, flashed the newest Fresh ROM and was quite happy, and then started looking at kernels. I decided to give this one a go
KingxKlick Forums • View topic - [KERNEL] [2.6.32.15] [HAVS] [BFS] KiNgxKernel #6/#8

So I flashed BFS #6, and for some reason at startup if I swiped across home screens in either direction, or pretty much did anything, it locked up, requiring battery pull or rebooted itself.

Luckily I had a NAND backup to right when I rolled to 2.1 rooted.*

So now I'm going to stock rooted 2.2 and waiting for someone who knows to give me the scoop on kernels and what I should be doing with them.

Btw the only widgets I had going were power settings and musicmod.
I did have Launcherpro running and 3d drawer setting enabled, if any of that matters.

Thanks!

*-interestingly at this stage the OTA for 2.2 still comes up as available. I may keep this nand handy in case I want to go the OTA route in the future. ;)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones