Noob question - flashing kernels

Last Updated:

1. paintmoonsred

paintmoonsred Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alrighty..
    So I have some things to ask about flashing kernels. Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I just rooted yesterday, flashed the newest Fresh ROM and was quite happy, and then started looking at kernels. I decided to give this one a go
    KingxKlick Forums • View topic - [KERNEL] [2.6.32.15] [HAVS] [BFS] KiNgxKernel #6/#8

So I flashed BFS #6, and for some reason at startup if I swiped across home screens in either direction, or pretty much did anything, it locked up, requiring battery pull or rebooted itself.

Luckily I had a NAND backup to right when I rolled to 2.1 rooted.*

So now I'm going to stock rooted 2.2 and waiting for someone who knows to give me the scoop on kernels and what I should be doing with them.

Btw the only widgets I had going were power settings and musicmod.
    I did have Launcherpro running and 3d drawer setting enabled, if any of that matters.

Thanks!

*-interestingly at this stage the OTA for 2.2 still comes up as available. I may keep this nand handy in case I want to go the OTA route in the future. ;)

Advertisement
  2. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, my first guess was that it wasn't compatible with Fresh, but I didn't see any reports of that issue on XDA. Did you wipe the cache and Dalvik-cache when you flashed it?

You might want to try Netarchy's kernel, too.

P.s. If you install the OTA you'll lose root, so the Nandroid won't do you any good.

paintmoonsred likes this.
  3. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

Did wipe everything ^^^^^^^^^^^ he said. When it comes to flashing Kernels they either work or not simple as that,sometimes a series of reboots is required before ur phone gets use to it.

paintmoonsred likes this.
  4. paintmoonsred

paintmoonsred Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Got it. I'll just keep a nandroid of Fresh, and keep trying different kernels I suppose. Thanks guys