• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Noob Questions...

OK so i got my first Android in the post today ( HTC Hero from ThreeMoblie UK)

Well iv been playing with it and can't for the life of me get it to browse Internet via WiFi.....

I turn the mobile communication off to the Three network.

So do Three stop you from going via wife so you have to use their overpriced data package?

Would flashing the 2.2 operating system fix this? ( Im on 1.5)

Also, Can you download apps via Wifi?

Thanks and hope i put as much info in as i can.

Jack,

OK so i got my first Android in the post today ( HTC Hero from ThreeMoblie UK)

Well iv been playing with it and can't for the life of me get it to browse Internet via WiFi.....

I turn the mobile communication off to the Three network.

So do Three stop you from going via wife so you have to use their overpriced data package?

Would flashing the 2.2 operating system fix this? ( Im on 1.5)

Also, Can you download apps via Wifi?

Thanks and hope i put as much info in as i can.

Jack,

I'm not much help as I've only owned a android phone for about one month
but yes you can download by wifi. i looked at the spec of the hero it does have wifi but I unsure about what 1.5 lets you do.

lastly I think I heard somewhere that hero will not get 2.2 cos it was the phone i was going to get until 3 made me a super deal with the desire.

Upvote 0
OK well, if you had the market on your device you can easily download apps by using the market. If you don't have it you can use sam slide application store by downloading it from the internet.
Another way to get applications is using your computer. you can download some applications which are available to computer download(sometimes market apps cannot be found in any other place except market) then by using HTC Sync you can install apps into your hero.

Anyway, I recommend you to root your device if you do not have market app on it because market will provide you with a marvellous collections of applications.Also, it is very easy to use.

Upvote 0
If you are new to Android, probably best to avoid looking at rooting the phone. Although technically simple, if it doesn't work out for you and you trash your phone, getting it back can be not so simple.

I take you are under contract with Three and there will (probably) be warranty and support implications if you root the device.

You need to investigate with Three how to upgrade the phones OS to a later version and if they won't move, find out what options are available for upgrading or return policy within a 14 day window (check this). After all have you been mis-sold?

Upvote 0
The HTC Hero definitely supports up to 2.1 (see below), however the phone OS upgrades tend to be pushed out by the carrier (in this case Three) That's why I'm saying this is a question for Three.

HTC Hero gets Android 2.1/Eclair update on Orange - Recombu

As far as mis-sold goes, if you purchased the phone under contract believing that you could access the Android Market and download Apps, then this may be a reason for return if Three are not supplying an upgrade to at least 2.1

Jackster, just had a quick look and it would appear that there is no official support for 2.2 planned.

Upvote 0
@Jackster: Are you still unable to download apps from the marketplace?

This happens from time to time, you try to install an app in the marketplace and it "hangs". It says it's downloading (or installing) but nothing more happens. Is that what's happening to you?

You can try the following:

Press the Menu Button from your home screen (NOT when in the Marketplace app) and choose Applications.

Press Manage Applications.

Look for Download Manager in the Applications list. Press it. Then Press the "Clear Data" button and the "Clear Cache" button. (If there is nothing in your cache, it will be greyed out and you won't be able to press it, that's okay).

Go back to the Applications List. Scroll down to Market. Press it. Press the Clear Cache button.

Exit out of settings back to your Home screen. Go back in to the Marketplace app and try installing an app. If it still hangs just leave it for a few minutes to see if it starts again.

As for getting an update from HTC for the Hero, good luck. See the link in my sig for my blog about what we went through here in Canada convincing our carrier (Rogers) and HTC to update our HTC Magics.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones