• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nothing works after reboot, no service, complete force close

I've had my htc hero (sprint) for about a month and half now and there has been a major problem i've been dealing with that i cant seem to find a solution to anywhere. everytime i reboot my phone, it wont work after the reboot. i cant get service, only wifi works, i cant access system updates, cant access my phone dialer. nothing works that requires date or service.

what i've tried to do is go to applications manager and ive been able to delete all the data from the google apps. this actually gave my phone service again after reboot, but i was never again able to sync my phone with google. meaning i couldnt get my contacts back, no gmail, and no market.

what ive been doing is having to do a complete hardware reset each time where i would then have to reset up my google account and re-download all my apps, needless to say this takes a lot of time each time. everytime i reboot, or when the battery drains, this happens. is my phone just messed up??? should i just replace it or is there a problem that can be fixed?

Sounds exactly what happened to me and it appeared to be due to the insane 70 app limit problem with Sprint Hero devices.

Some people seem to run fine with more than 70 apps after reboots, some don't, but 70 seems to be the magic number. When I encountered this issue, I had 89 apps installed with plenty of free memory left and had even rebooted a number of times just the previous day before I ran into this problem. I then needed to reboot due to a battery drain and that's when it started happening for me.

If your phone is rooted, try doing a Nandroid restore. Even though my restore file had about 80 apps or so installed, it brought the phone back to working order. I've since removed a number of apps and I'm below 70 now.

If not, just start removing apps to get below 70 and reboot. Here's hoping you won't have to resort to a factory restore.

Upvote 0
I don't think it has anything to do with 70 apps. I have about 110 apps and my phone works fine. I have had this problem occasionally had this problem but I can always pin it down to a particular problem program.

To avoid this, just restart your phone after you install an apps or group of apps, otherwise you will be at a loss to find out which caused it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones