• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Notification bar only, after factory data reset?

Oregon2

Aug 28, 2011
I rooted my phone a very long time ago, (you might even find my old thread on bloatware to remove after rooting your commando) and used it for a quite a while before having to switch to an ATT phone for my work. When I did that I just used the commando as a music player for a year. Now last week my little brother asked if he could start using it as his phone. I told him sure and went into the setting and choose to do a factory reset. It had a full charge and was plugged into the wall when I reset it, but it froze on the reboot on the verizon splash screen. I just let it set there for a day before I did anything. Then I pulled the battery and started the phone back up. It started and went to the unlock screen just fine. I tried to start the verizon initial setup up and it worked for a while but then it locked up again. I let it set for a few hours before doing another battery pull. This time after turning it on it went to the g'zone splash screen, then the verizon flash screen, but now there was no unlock screen, just a notification bar at the top with signal, battery, and time in it. The rest of the screen is just blank. I can expand the notification bar and it says Verizon Wireless and no notifications. I can hit the back button and it will close the notification bar. All the capacitive buttons still have haptic feedback. Any ideas??? Its just like I have no launcher or something. I cant even get into the settings. Any help would be great!!! Also I had never done any of the updates, so it is still on the original software.
Thanks!

C'mon lol somebody has to have some little clue?? You guys are great. I don't think that its bricked because I can still get the notification bar and capacitive buttons to work and it does not go into a boot loops, so that is good.

do you have GNM recovery installed? your response will help better my answer to you.

Upvote 0
Thanks olbriar I thought I had posted it in all things root. Guess I need to pay more attention.

No Willster419 I do not have GNM recovery. It was a long time ago that I had rooted this phone. I don't believe there was any kind of recovery for the commando back then. lol just had to back up everything with Titanium Backup and hope for the best as you removed the bloatware. I remember having to fight a lot of force close loops when I was helping Raphael expand the original list of apps to remove for this phone.
I had done a factory data reset once after I had quit doing any kind of removing apps, and it worked fine. So I think that this is just happening because it froze on the Verizon activation. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can push something to it in ADB possibly. Currently I have my doubts because it does not show in ADB :(
Thanks in advance for any info y'all can offer

Upvote 0
Thanks olbriar I thought I had posted it in all things root. Guess I need to pay more attention.

No Willster419 I do not have GNM recovery. It was a long time ago that I had rooted this phone. I don't believe there was any kind of recovery for the commando back then. lol just had to back up everything with Titanium Backup and hope for the best as you removed the bloatware. I remember having to fight a lot of force close loops when I was helping Raphael expand the original list of apps to remove for this phone.
I had done a factory data reset once after I had quit doing any kind of removing apps, and it worked fine. So I think that this is just happening because it froze on the Verizon activation. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can push something to it in ADB possibly. Currently I have my doubts because it does not show in ADB :(
Thanks in advance for any info y'all can offer

Did your try to pull out your SDCard too ???
try to pull out your SDCard then booting without that inserted.
if the problem still appear , i cant think any possible way to solve that without ADB not working :(

Upvote 0
Yes I have pulled the sd card rasta. It does the same thing. When I plug it into my computer while booted into Windows 7, it always does show up in Devices and Printers under "Unspecified Devices", named "Casio C771 USB Composite Device."

The only thing that makes the outcome any different is that if I plug it into my computer before pressing the power button. In this case whether the sd card is in or out it will do the G'zone boot screen then go to the Verizon Wireless screen and it gets stuck with a loading bar playing that says "Initializing please wait" but it does that forever. That is the only time I have to do a battery pull.
If I power it on while it is not plugged in and get to the notification, I can hold down the power button and I get the option to "power off." And I can choose it and it powers off.
Are there any Linux drivers for the commando?? It doesn't show up as a removable device when I switch to my Ubuntu partition. Or is there a way to enter fastboot with the commando so that I could push the GNM recovery on it??

Upvote 0
Those are some great ideas guys. Unfortunatly the search button doesn't work. It just has haptic feedback but does nothing. What is this quick boot that you speak of LimitedRelease?? Never heard of it and I have rooted a lot of phones for family and friends. LG's HTC's Samsung's and Motorola's but even in all of those threads I have never heard quick boot mentioned. Maybe point me towards a thread for it. I know it wont work for this phone but I would like to know in case a future problem arises where I could use it.

Great idea Willster. So I gave it a try since it is still in my devices on Google Play. I have my doubts about it though because it is not connected to wifi, and all this started when I was trying to get it hooked back up to Verizon, so there is no 3g either. It does have service bars but I haven't had verizon service for quite some time now.

Keep the great ideas coming guys!! They are all good so far.

Anybody know how the manufacturers put android onto a device?? There is no ADB obviously and how would they put the device into fastboot to connect to it that way? Just curious

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones