• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification Sound Settings/help

Can I start off by saying this is my first HTC phone and I am very impressed by it.

One query I have is - is it possible to have different notification sounds for e-mail, texts and other apps like whatsapp?

Is this possible? I've got a short mp3 that I want as my text tone

for those notifications i had to add the sounds into the SD Card folder called "Notifications". I did it via PC, I heard it doesn't work well if done on the phone, but that's worth a shot as well. if you don't see them show up in the list of available notifications, try a restart

Reactions: dee00 and Granite1
Upvote 0
I have a folder structure in my SD card for ringtones and notifications and its worked since I've had the Hero. :)

Root of SD(not in any folders) make a folder named "Media" inside this make two folders named "Ringtones" and another named "Notifications". You can save snippets in these for your ringtones and notifications. :)

I remember back in the days ringtones were limited to 30 seconds, not sure if this is still the case or not. :thinking:

If it is, grab an audio editing program, there are many free choices on Google, and crop an audio file to 30 seconds or less and it should work. :)

Another option is to download the app Zedge from the Market. Lots of good audio to choose from. ;)

Reactions: toad6386
Upvote 0
For whatever reason, I'm unable to change my text message sound (which I assume is whatever tone is in the Notifications section).

At first I thought it was an issue with the custom audio file I was trying to use, but then I found that I'm unable to change it to ANY sound, even the ones that came with the phone.

Help?

Upvote 0
For whatever reason, I'm unable to change my text message sound (which I assume is whatever tone is in the Notifications section).

At first I thought it was an issue with the custom audio file I was trying to use, but then I found that I'm unable to change it to ANY sound, even the ones that came with the phone.

Help?

If you're using the default SMS app, you can change the sound there, open up the messaging app, click the 3 dots on the top right, click settings then notifications.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I'm sorry for the long post, but my problem is a little difficult to explain. I have a fully-updated, non-rooted, stock, HTC One with Sprint. I'm having a problem with notification sounds; specifically, with silent notification sounds.

For certain applications, I need to use the "Silent" notification sound. I use this for notifications in a game (Wordfeud) and also for certain, specific contacts (via an app named "SMS Popup"). There is a "Silent" notification sound already built-in and I've always used this on my prior phone (an Evo 3D) with no problem. In SMS Popup, however, the built-in "silent" notification sound doesn't work. When I select it, it defaults back to the phone's default ringtone sound. I wasn't sure where the bug is (the app or the OS), so I figured I'd just make my own silent sound and use that. I did that, selected it, and it worked (I'd get the notification icon, a notification vibration, but no audible sound, as expected).

When you specify a custom notification sound, it then appears in in the regular, Android notification sound-picker interface from that point forward. I've added a few custom sounds already and this works just fine. However, once I specify a custom, SILENT sound, the standard, Android notification sound-picker interface will crash every time I try to use it. The only way I can make the sound-picker interface work again is if I delete the custom, silent sound from the file system (fyi: I use ES File Explorer for all of this).

I figured the problem might have had something to do with the way I encoded the sound. My first try was 0 a second sound, but then I tried 1 second and then 2.1 seconds. I've tried WAV and MP3 and I tried various bitrates, etc. Confusingly, I even tried making a file named "almost_silent" (MP3 and WAV), which has sound, but is quiet enough to be inaudible. That causes the problem too! Finally, I downloaded some other, random, "silent ringtone" MP3 from the internet and that ALSO causes the problem.

If I pick any other custom, NON-silent sound, everything works just fine. It's only silent (or nearly silent) sounds that cause the problem. I'm at my wit's end here. Can anyone else confirm whether their phone has this problem too? Any idea what could be going on?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Try setting everything back to stock & install ICS+ ENHANCED RINGER CONTROL by Brian Histop from the GOOGLE PLAY STORE.

This app gives back some of the functionality that was merged/lost in the upgrade from ICS to JELLY BEAN. KUDOS to EarlyMon for sharing this gem w/us all in a previous discussion. :rock:

Please keep us posted on the outcome. :)

Reactions: SuperC142
Upvote 0
I don't believe so,I've never bothered to indidualize SMS notification sounds. There are numerous 3rd party SMS apps & dialer apps in the GOOGLE PLAY STORE that allow for a deeper level of customization for each contact.

Ok, I asked just to know if I should remove it. The bug isn't with this app (SMS Popup is a great app that I've always loved since my G1). Rather, the bug is actually with this phone when a silent notification sound is selected. I have the problem in Wordfeud, K-9 Mail, and SMS Popup. In any of these, if I pick the built-in "silent" sound, they make a default sound, anyway. If I pick a custom, silent sound file, it completely breaks the notification sound picker.

I will definitely check out our suggestion though, as soon as I can calm my 6 month old down enough so that I'm able to actually think again. ;-)

Upvote 0
ohh, I see. I really appreciate your help Kolio, but after researching it, I don't think the Enhanced Ringer app will help in my case. Of course, there are many apps that can notify you when certain events happen. Many times, I want the notification, but not the sound. They almost never let you say: show an icon, vibrate the phone, but don't play a sound. The built-in "silent" sound addresses that. I don't need a sound every time it's my turn to play a word or every time I get an email (for instance). However, I do want to continue to get audible notifications when I get a text message. There seems to be a bug with this phone (or sense [or android]) where it doesn't work if you specify a silent sound. It's really bizarre. 8-/

Upvote 0
Thanks Kolio, I'll check it out. However, this is pretty easy to do on any Android phone, just not on the HTC One. I've had my phone configured this way since my G1 (followed by my Cliq, then my Evo 3D). It's just that there's a bug when I pick the "silent" sound (the bug being, it's not silent). If I specify my own silent MP3 or WAV file, the sound picker crashes the next time I open it. If it weren't for the bug, no separate app would be needed.

Upvote 0
WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS Jordanf1end! :party:

Do you have any kind of aftermarket volume control application loaded on your phone?
Also,while you're at it,could you list the carrier you're using?
It could possibly be something that others may be experiencing that's unique to your specific carrier.

THX! :)

No i do not.

I am with AT& T, this is really annoying hoping to figure it out

also when i go to volume, music and videos are turned all the way up

it seems as though i can hear it through the headphones sometimes but not all. weird.

Upvote 0
sometimes you can hear the sounds and sometimes not? that is interesting.

have you had this happen from day one of picking the phone up? did you install or uninstall any apps prior to this?

have you tried different headsets? are you using the stock buds of your phone came with them or after market?

what music app are you using? stock? aftermarket?
if the latter then that particular app may not allow those sounds to be heard. same for other aftermarket apps--they too may not allow the notifications to come through.

Upvote 0
In the notifications selection screen, there appears to be no facility to add new ones. (eg in the equivalent ringtones screen there is the + icon top right) I have added sound files into the notifications folder, however, these don't appear in the selection list. Could someone please assist. (the solution is probably easy, but I have not found it yet)
Thanks

Upvote 0
In the notifications selection screen, there appears to be no facility to add new ones. (eg in the equivalent ringtones screen there is the + icon top right) I have added sound files into the notifications folder, however, these don't appear in the selection list. Could someone please assist. (the solution is probably easy, but I have not found it yet)
Thanks

I have found that the method of installation affects the success of installation of new notification sounds. Using either direct connect via USB, or Wi-Fi File Explorer Pro, I can install MP3s into my SD/media/audio/notifications folder from my computer and get them to appear properly. DL'ing them directly from a site (most recently Oringz.com), onto phone, nor using Air Droid (which I like better the WiFI Explorer) doesn't seem to work properly. Hope it helps!

Reactions: KOLIO and lio52
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones