• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification Sound w/no notification AND on Vibrate

bigduds4

Lurker
Jan 28, 2015
Hello,

I'm praying that someone here can help me because I feel I am going insane...

My TMobile Galaxy S5 has recently started to make a 'random' noise throughout the day/night, even if the phone is on vibrate or silent. There is no notification in the notification bar. The only way to 'consistently' make the noise happen is to reboot the phone. About 15 seconds after coming back to life, the noise pops up almost as if it is telling me it connected to the network but NOTHING flashes on the screen.

Other things I have ruled out.

1.) NFC - not activated
2.) Yahoo! mail app - not installed
3.) Needing system restore, done that too

The noise that is being made is not even in the list of 'standard' notification tones. It is like an ascending tri-tone notification that seems to be controlled by the 'media' volume on the phone.

I am dying here. Last night I finally had to shut the phone off to get some sleep.

Thanks in advance for ANY ideas.

i'm thinking you have an app installed that has permission to change or ignore phone volumes. as far as i can tell when an app has permissions to modify the phones volumes, it can make sounds whenever it wants and however loud it wants. i use this "feature" for my morning alarm in that even though the phone is on silent and vibrate is off it will still work. i would check the permissions of your downloaded apps and see if one has a permission related to volumes or sound.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same problem. And everyone kept telling me it was Yahoo or that my phone was roaming which I don't have Yahoo and my phone is never roaming hardly ever because I'm disabled and I'm always pretty much in the same area. So hopefully someone will figure this out soon. Because like you said it is super annoying. & I did think about it and the notifications started happening before I installed any new apps onto the phone when I got it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones