• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Apps like Zedge let you down load tones and tunes to add as text messages/ringtones and notifications.

Just fire up the app and search around for sounds (or wallpapers) and then down load and your given the option to assign to ringtone for ringtones and text tones for text alerts.

Im guessing you know how to change the stock ringtones on the phone? To change the text tones once you have a few and get bored, open the stock text app and press the menu button and in the options you can choose ringtone for the text alert sound click on it and you can then choose from Android or Zedge to pick your alert sound.

Upvote 0
Apps like Zedge let you down load tones and tunes to add as text messages/ringtones and notifications.

Just fire up the app and search around for sounds (or wallpapers) and then down load and your given the option to assign to ringtone for ringtones and text tones for text alerts.

Im guessing you know how to change the stock ringtones on the phone? To change the text tones once you have a few and get bored, open the stock text app and press the menu button and in the options you can choose ringtone for the text alert sound click on it and you can then choose from Android or Zedge to pick your alert sound.

i am not sure what this app does, really. i am not looking for new ringtones per se because i know how to add my own personal ringtones to the phone.

i want to be able to assign different ringtone to different event. right now, the notification sound applies to ALL events. so i can not identify what event takes place (SMS or voice mail or message) if i am not looking for that phone.

i had an iphone and it allows me to assign ringtone to SMS, voice mail, mail events.

i hope this is a little clearer than what i asked before. sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0
My bad on the confusion been down the pub.

I have yet to set up voice mail on the phone so no idea yet but in the main phone setting-sounds&display you can change the notification sound but I think this covers all notifications including email, connecting the phone (charger/pc) and notifications from facebook et al. So even if the voice mail and text "sound" is the same you can tell from email to sms/voice.

As I said I have yet to set up voice mail so above includes some guessing.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I read that thread you mentioned but it does not explain how to set a different ringtone for e-mail notification and for SMS.
it only explains how to set a custom rington for ALL notifications.

So, the question remains,,,,,, how can we set a ringtone for email notifications and a totally different rington for SMS???

Upvote 0
I have been working on this for hours. I found how to set up the media card and transfer files to it - Thanks all! The custom alerts I want are all now available to me.

What is the difference in the home screen menu/settings/sounds/alerts and notifications vs. going into calendar/sms/email settings and selecting them there? Sometime I get the sound I want, sometimes I don

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones