• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notification vs. Media alert

M

mkdallas

:thinking: My Nexus S 4G alert system really confuses me. What's the difference between a media alert and a notification alert? The only noise I want to hear from my phone besides an incoming call is when I receive a text. Right now, I get chimes for texts, chimes for game updates, yada yada yada. Thanks in advance if anyone can tell me which volume I need to turn off (media or notification) under the Settings/Sounds menu in order to receive only text message alerts.

I'm astonished that no one has replied to this with the answer. I too would love to know what the answer is.
Re question by mkdallas,

In particular, I would like to know which events would cause a notification alert, and which events would cause a media alert?
Presumably one type is for emails, and another type is for texts. I can't think of any other sort of notification that my phone would get (other than an actual phone call).

Upvote 0
Re question by mkdallas,

In particular, I would like to know which events would cause a notification alert, and which events would cause a media alert?
Presumably one type is for emails, and another type is for texts. I can't think of any other sort of notification that my phone would get (other than an actual phone call).
where are you seeing media alerts? my z fold 4 does not have this. what phone do you have? plus this thread was from 2011.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Many apologies, the phone I have is running Android 13. My Android 8.1 phone offers the same alerts. Both phones also offer System and Ringtone alerts.

The Media alert and Notification alert I refer to ( along with System and Ringtone alerts) , appear when you adjust the volume using the right hand buttons. All 4 alerts appear as slide bars after I click the ellipsis (...) at the top of the volume control.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones