• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Now what...

icedice34

Feb 24, 2012
So, I'm on the road for work. I don't fly home until Friday. Today, my phone decided to not turn back on from a reboot. I'm still s-on, and have a work laptop and my iPad with me. I can get adb/fastboot downloaded and get to them and type "adb devices" etc. However, my phone drivers are not installed, and there is no way for me to install them as I don't have admin rights. Is there anyway to fastboot boot recovery on my HTC rezound without having admin rights?

Luckily, I did bring an old phone with me (Moto droid 1). So at least I'm not up a creek without a paddle, but I'm also not overjoyed to be without my 4g HTC rezound for the week.

Is this anything any of you have suggestions on? I'm afraid I'm probably just SOL until I get home Friday.

Thanks.

What is your phone doing? Is it hanging at splash screen? Or nothing at all?

hangs at the splash screen. The bootloader is unlocked through HTC development. Could I download the ruu somehow and get that to wipe everything? I don't really care if I go back to stock for the week. I am going to figure out how to s-off this weekend!

Upvote 0
You can not run an ruu with the bootloader unlocked. You would need drivers and fastboot to relock.

If you still have the stock recovery in place, I would try the factory reset option from hboot. Also try the clear storage option

If I do a factory reset with a custom Rom, would it theoretically boot to the blank version of that Rom?

Upvote 0
your welcome :)

i hope that works for you. if not,the other option is to download a PH98IMG version of amon,and then go ahead and permantly install it via hboot. you will now be able to do some things,such as restoring backups,or reflashing your rom.

the only catch is that since the permant recovery cannot install a new boot image,you can ONLY restore backups or flash roms that use a compatible kernel.

PH98IMG-amon-3.15.zip

sorry for the short answers earlier,i was working :)eek:) ill keep pondering it,and see if i can come up with any other options :)

Reactions: icedice34
Upvote 0
You can not run an ruu with the bootloader unlocked. You would need drivers and fastboot to relock.

If you still have the stock recovery in place, I would try the factory reset option from hboot. Also try the clear storage option

Well, I feel like an Idiot. i did a Factory reset and clear storage and it booted fine. Only problem was, there was no launcher (the ROM I have had APEX installed by default, but with a factory reset that was gone. Luckily an app updated, I was able to get into the play store and download NOVA.

Now...if only my SD card hadn't corrupted last week, I'd be able to restore using my back up pro, and my NOVA back up and be back up and running. but alas, that is not an option, so download crazy I go. Lucky for wifi.

Scotty....you da man!!!!!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
that is correct :) with s off,a permanent recovery can write the boot images,and you wont need to fool with booting your recovery with a PC.

you can restore backups and flash roms completely on the go,you just need a way to download roms and get them onto your sd card :)

Which normally could be going to the website of the Rom and downloading, then using root explorer and transferring to root of sd. :)

I know at one point I got the impression it was easier to brick your phone when s-off. Is this true? Or is it pretty safe? I mean I know there's risk, but how often does someone actually brick?

Upvote 0
Which normally could be going to the website of the Rom and downloading, then using root explorer and transferring to root of sd. :)
yup :)

I know at one point I got the impression it was easier to brick your phone when s-off. Is this true? Or is it pretty safe? I mean I know there's risk, but how often does someone actually brick?

it depends entirely on you. :)

there are no security checks being done,no s on safety net to protect vulnerable neccessary parts like the radios and hboot. corrupting certain partitions can and will leave your phone hard bricked,unusable,and potentially unrecoverable.

however,as long as you are careful,there is nothing to worry about:
-make sure you use files from trusted sources. for example,i NEVER post anything im unable to flash on my own devices and test the safety of.
-double and triple check md5s to assure file integrity
-dont needlessly change hboot,radios,and other firmware,and if you do change them,see above ;)

being s off actually allows more options to revive a soft bricked device,since you have the options to install unsigned hboots,recoveries,and other files,and go backwards in signed firmware versions. the ability to flash an eng or patched hboot could easily save you,since you have a few extra commands to utilize. being able to flash an older ruu could easily save you as well,since htc seems to have tightened the reins on ruu leaks.

Upvote 0
yup :)

it depends entirely on you. :)

there are no security checks being done,no s on safety net to protect vulnerable neccessary parts like the radios and hboot. corrupting certain partitions can and will leave your phone hard bricked,unusable,and potentially unrecoverable.

however,as long as you are careful,there is nothing to worry about:
-make sure you use files from trusted sources. for example,i NEVER post anything im unable to flash on my own devices and test the safety of.
-double and triple check md5s to assure file integrity
-dont needlessly change hboot,radios,and other firmware,and if you do change them,see above ;)

being s off actually allows more options to revive a soft bricked device,since you have the options to install unsigned hboots,recoveries,and other files,and go backwards in signed firmware versions. the ability to flash an eng or patched hboot could easily save you,since you have a few extra commands to utilize. being able to flash an older ruu could easily save you as well,since htc seems to have tightened the reins on ruu leaks.

Ok, so now it appears unlimited.IO doesn't support windows or Mac. Do I really have to get Linux to do this?

Sounds like basically I just run the latest RUU, download the program, run it, wait for it to tell me wire trick, do wire trick, wait some more then done? Then I can fastboot flash Amon ra and be good to go? Do i have to mess with hboots or anything, I just want to be able to flash roms on the go. I have only once installed a kernel other than the one that came stock with the rom, so I'm not overly risky or anything.

Upvote 0
Ok, so now it appears unlimited.IO doesn't support windows or Mac. Do I really have to get Linux to do this?
unfortunately,yes :( at least as far as official support goes. if you search you can prolly find someone who would share the windows version with you,but if you have prollems,they will not help you in irc,so its hard for me to recomend that,in good conscience.

Sounds like basically I just run the latest RUU, download the program, run it, wait for it to tell me wire trick, do wire trick, wait some more then done? Then I can fastboot flash Amon ra and be good to go? Do i have to mess with hboots or anything, I just want to be able to flash roms on the go. I have only once installed a kernel other than the one that came stock with the rom, so I'm not overly risky or anything.
basically,yes. youll need to create an ubuntu live cd,then follow their directions to download and run it. do the wire trick when prompted. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones