• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Obtaining Root Based off of Spock's Modified Process

Hey all, I thank you for taking your time to read this.

I have like (2) questions:

1. Concerning Phenomx4's recovery, TWRP, at http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-twrp-2-8-6-0.850849/, it says, "You'll need adb version 1.0.32 to use sideload with TWRP 2.8.3.0". Do you think that PDANet at, http://pdanet.co/, has adb version 1.0.32 or something that can take the place of that? If it doesn't, how does one get adb version 1.0.32?

2. Step 7 of my process, based off of Spock's modified process, could use some clarification if it is wrong. Maybe I need to copy the SuperSu Zip file and the TWRP zip file to the phone rather than to the SD card?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The root process, based off Spock's modified process, is below.

Spock's Modified Process is at:

http://androidforums.com/threads/still-cannot-root-zte-awe-after-several-methods.887418/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to root your phone for the ZTE (N800)

*Place all downloaded internet files into the same directory (On the Windows PC)

1. Enable USB Debugging on the phone. Inside the phone tap, System Settings > Developer Options > Usb Debugging

* If the Usb Drivers from the Android Phone have been installed to the computer, you can skip to step 3.

2.0 Install Drivers from Inside the phone to the computer. Inside the phone tap, System Settings > Connect to PC > Install Driver.

2.1 Use a data cable, MicroUSB to USB, and plug the cable into the phone and then plug the USB side into the PC.

2.2 Install Android Phone Drivers Onto the PC from the phone.

2.3 After phone drivers are installed, Inside the phone tap, System Settings > Connect to PC > Media Device (MTP). You should now be able to access the phone's files and MicroSD card's files (from the PC), if things have worked out right.

3.0 Download PDA Net here http://pdanet.co/

3.1 Install PDANet -(To Desktop or Laptop) Note: The default install directory is PDANet for the PC, which will ensure that you have a compatible ADB driver. The following are procedures that take place when installing PDANet onto a PC.

*Install the USB drivers, which is for the ADB drivers, because you already have the Android drivers installed from the phone. (See Step 1)

*For Phone type, select "others" it should be at the bottom.

*Do not enable USB Debugging, we will do that later. (Click Skip USB)

*Click OK, when it asks you to install PDANet on your Android, meaning that you have done it. (You don't really need it)

*In the installation succeded window, uncheck all boxes and click on Finish.

4.0 Download Stand Alone SDK tools. Select the drivers and platform tools. https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#Other

4.1 Install the SDK tools. Be sure to keep track, write down where the SDK Stand Alone tools are installed.

4.2 Dowload SuperSu Zip file from http://download.chainfire.eu/345/SuperSU/

5.0 Download PhenomX4's TWRP [Recovery] TWRP 2.8.0.0 http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-twrp-2-8-0-0.850849/ Note, the Version of TWRP has changed.

5.1 Extract the recovery.img from the TWRP zip, put it in the platform_tools folder where the SDK installed to (On the Windows Computer)

6.0 Connect your phone (To Windows PC) with the data cable.

****** 7. [This Needs Clarification] Copy the SuperSu, [Gain Root Access], zip to your phone. (Copy to MicroSD Card using Windows Copy Command) Optionally, also copy the recovery zip, TWRP ZIPFILE, and NOT the TWRP image file, to your phone. (Copy to MicroSD Card using Windows Copy Command) [Is this correct?]

8. Open a cmd window where SDk directory, Software Development kit, was installed and where the TWRP image was copied too, the SDK directory.

9. Enter "adb reboot bootloader" (in the cmd terminal window pointing at the SDK Directory) If all goes well, your charge light will be on and you will have a blank screen.

10. enter "fastboot boot recovery.img" Your phone should now boot into TWRP on the phone.

11. On the phone, tap install.

12. On the phone, select the SuperSu zip file. (the one copied to the MicroSD card in step 7)

13. Optionally, select add more zips, and then select the recovery zip, TWRP Zip File copied to the MicroSD card in Step 7, this will install TWRP to the phone.

14. Swipe to confirm the flash.

15. Reboot.

16. Enjoy your rooted phone.

Hey all, I thank you for taking your time to read this.

I have like (2) questions:

1. Concerning Phenomx4's recovery, TWRP, at http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-twrp-2-8-6-0.850849/, it says, "You'll need adb version 1.0.32 to use sideload with TWRP 2.8.3.0". Do you think that PDANet at, http://pdanet.co/, has adb version 1.0.32 or something that can take the place of that? If it doesn't, how does one get adb version 1.0.32?

2. Step 7 of my process, based off of Spock's modified process, could use some clarification if it is wrong. Maybe I need to copy the SuperSu Zip file and the TWRP zip file to the phone rather than to the SD card?

:
:
:

****** 7. [This Needs Clarification] Copy the SuperSu, [Gain Root Access], zip to your phone. (Copy to MicroSD Card using Windows Copy Command) Optionally, also copy the recovery zip, TWRP ZIPFILE, and NOT the TWRP image file, to your phone. (Copy to MicroSD Card using Windows Copy Command) [Is this correct?]

Hey chrisnunya74,

First off, note I do not have a ZTE Awe device, but your questions and my responses should be device-independent.

#1: I'm guessing you could use the SDK Manager that comes with the Android SDK and download/install an older version of the "Android SDK Platform-tools" package. You'd have to sift through the various ones to find the 1.0.32 version, but I've attached a version of the 1.0.32 adb.exe below (it's inside the adb-1032.zip file). Also, I'm guessing that a version of adb of 1.0.32 or higher would also work.

#2 / #7: this sounds like the typical copying of the UPDATE-SuperSU-v#.##.zip file to somewhere on your device where TWRP can navigate to it via the "install .zip file" option used to flash a .zip package. You can place that (or any file) anywhere like the /sdcard or even /cache, etc. Just transfer it to your device at some point prior to when you want to flash it. You can use adb to push it over even when TWRP custom recovery is running (provided MTP is disabled) via a "adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v#.##.zip /sdcard/" or similar command (or enable MTP and transfer it directly from your Windows Explorer on your PC).

Hope that helps! :)

Attachments

• adb-1032.zip
    447.3 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0
Oh boy does that help, Scary Alien! I like the last option that you presented to get UPDATE-SuperSU-v#.##.zip and other files over to the SD card via MTP. So, I have improved the process, now. Well, I guess that the process is complete enough. I am going to take the plunge and try to obtain root. After that, I read that one should do a full TWRP back-up. Thanks Alien!

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hey I saw your PM, might as well respond here, and thanks for putting this together.

ADB 1.0.32 had just come out at the time PhenomX4 made that note and I think he was warning people to update. Like scary alien said, newer versions should work as well. (Though after running an update on my platform-tools it looks like 1.0.32 is still the latest)

PDANet needs to be installed before you hook up the phone, it's the source of the drivers necessary to get ADB working, not ADB itself. MoboRobo would probably work for this as well if that's your cup of tea.

When installing the SDK, make sure to install platform-tools. That's what provides ADB.

Step 7 you got the assumption correct, you'll get an N800 icon in "My Computer" and from there you can access the internal and external SD cards. I'd highly recommend copying to the external. scary alien's suggestions will also work if you forget to copy beforehand. MTP usually works, though sometimes I have to mount twice or unplug and plug back in.

Upvote 0
Hey Spock and Scary Alien, it worked! I made the first back up to the MicroSD card. I also backed up the cache in that first back up, as well. Then I coped the back-up file (2GB) to the computer. I am afraid to turn on wifi. I disabled automatic updates, while WIFI is off, in the play store, because I am not sure if I should do that or not. BTW, according to Alien's root app, I do have root! In addition, I used your app, Alien, to boot into TWRP to make the back-up! I'm wondering, do I need to turn off auto-update for the system. I checked under system updates, and all it lists is: update ppl, update profile, update ZTE software, and update Frimware. Is there a way to disable system updates?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Glad you like my app :).

(and very glad your first order of business was to take a Nandroid backup and save a copy off of your device onto your PC--kudos to you for that great safety measure :))

I'm not ZTE guy so I can't guide you on how to specifically disable system updates, so I'll have to leave your device-specific questions to the experts and those familiar with your device.

Cheers and best of luck! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones