• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OC without Root?

Jojo:

Another must-have app: Root-Explorer. With this, you almost never need a computer. You can download programs/roms/apps/files and move them around and install them just as if you were doing it from a computer.

You can browse these forums and download files. This and/or Astro (I use them both).

Upvote 0
Hi all i just need one more step and i should be all set up and can start OC'ing incrementally! help! i have to go in about 40 minutes and won't get a chance to do this for at least 2 days, im heading to frisco after work and i don' t have a lap top!

how do i install the kernel, i downloaded the file this one:
BEKIT7X1200IV.zip

It lets me oc up to 1.2 i believe, but i have the file on the computer i just want to know how to install it please help!

Since you flashed the 2.1 with the SPRecovery. Just change that zip file to update.zip and go into recovery and install the zip file.

FYI- to get into recovery, just reboot while holding down the x button.

Upvote 0
well i ran into a problem;

I thought everything was good and dandy, it seemed that way, but when i run ROMManager, it says i have to root my phone, Superuser was not found at "/system/bin/su" or "/system/xbin/su"

Also i DL' and bought SetCPU and it says:no root access deteced Are apps allowed access to root? <---but thats because i can't install the kernel i believe...

Did i miss a step:

I did the following:

1.DL'd RSDLite and WindowsUSB drivers for 32 bit and installed those
2. Plugged my phone in, powered down, rebooted holding down UP DPad key, i then get that OK boot screen, its all black
3. I run RSDLite and waited till progess was 100% and it said to manually power up the phone.<---what do i do here, last time i did i manually powered up and nothing but progress was 100%?

i think this is the step i might have fudged up on and not sure what to do....

Upvote 0
im not sure what you mean by keeping my default ROM. Like i said all i did was download and install RSDLite and USB32 on my desktop windows.

after that i plugged in my phone, rebooted how they said, ran RSDlite until the progression window said 100% and in the middle window it said to powerup phone manually

after that i thought i was done, i guess ill try it again, and see what happens,

as for using the android sdk, that just dragging and dropping a file in place using the windows interface correct?

Upvote 0
im not sure what you mean by keeping my default ROM. Like i said all i did was download and install RSDLite and USB32 on my desktop windows.

after that i plugged in my phone, rebooted how they said, ran RSDlite until the progression window said 100% and in the middle window it said to powerup phone manually

after that i thought i was done, i guess ill try it again, and see what happens,

as for using the android sdk, that just dragging and dropping a file in place using the windows interface correct?

So all you've done is install SPRecovery, which will give you the ability to install other ROMS, but does not root your current ROM.

You will need to use adb (android device bridge), a tool included with the SDK. It is a bit more involved than drag and drop. You will need to use the command line, but the commands are included in the guide.

Upvote 0
ahhh okay cool, so thats this part of the guide:
step zero: download attached zip and extract
step one: boot into sprecovery
step two: mount /system from sprecovery
step three:

Code:
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell "chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"
step four: reboot
step five: stay alive

enjoy rooted stock ESE81, with no need to [wipe your data] install a hacked together copy of ota...

Upvote 0
well, like i feared...there really is no easy way to do this, now my phone is stuck on the motorola screen...well my fault and at least my buddy works at verizon and will just replace it for...

Now i remember why i don't support roots or hacks...i definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this if your not EXTREMELY tech savvy. i say extremely because like i said, i build an doc computers all the time...this is an entirely different breed..dont hack/root your phone...no matter how easy they say it is

Upvote 0
the sad thing is, all my phone info matches perfectly with that of the video and what it should say of the firmware/kernel and all that...its pretty much ready to be "rooted", its just that ROM loader wont run...i can't get the kernel i want to install..

once i get the damn kernel in there my $2 bucks spent on setcpu wont go wasted!! im stuck lol but after my small heart attack, i just managed to get it back running, now im scared lol anywhoo, if anyone can explain how i can get the kernel installed, without rom manager or adb or whatever, im still game for it

i feel dumb now lol i mean i followed the instructions to the t but the adb part of it, i reached my limit of tech knowledge...

Upvote 0
the sad thing is, all my phone info matches perfectly with that of the video and what it should say of the firmware/kernel and all that...its pretty much ready to be "rooted", its just that ROM loader wont run...i can't get the kernel i want to install..

once i get the damn kernel in there my $2 bucks spent on setcpu wont go wasted!! im stuck lol but after my small heart attack, i just managed to get it back running, now im scared lol anywhoo, if anyone can explain how i can get the kernel installed, without rom manager or adb or whatever, im still game for it

i feel dumb now lol i mean i followed the instructions to the t but the adb part of it, i reached my limit of tech knowledge...

Hold up. Don't get discourage. There is another way to keep your phone the same but have superuser access so you can OC. I'm not sure which part you are on, do you have the Super user apk installed? If so, you might be stuck on the M screen because your droid doesn't like the kernal you installed. You might want to try a lower speed, maybe 1ghz? If you don't have Super User access, then you can flash this update zip that has SU already pre-installed and it's completely stock.

[ROM] ESE81 Completely Stock With Proper Root, SU, & Baseband

Upvote 0
Hold up. Don't get discourage. There is another way to keep your phone the same but have superuser access so you can OC. I'm not sure which part you are on, do you have the Super user apk installed? If so, you might be stuck on the M screen because your droid doesn't like the kernal you installed. You might want to try a lower speed, maybe 1ghz? If you don't have Super User access, then you can flash this update zip that has SU already pre-installed and it's completely stock.

[ROM] ESE81 Completely Stock With Proper Root, SU, & Baseband

The part i am in, i have just finishing installing the SPRecovery...thats it.
I dont have Super user APK instaled,

Upvote 0
also, i don't get what you mean by flashing them.

Do you mean the get to the boot up screen and run RSDlite and install using that method?

No, I don't mean run RSDlite. As far as I know, you are done with that. What that did was flash your phone with a different recovery img. What you need to do is dl the file (or if you want any other ROM,) change the file to update.zip, then go to recovery mode and install the update.zip file.

Since you are pretty good at following video instructions. this link might help.

Video: Installing a Custom ROM Using SPRecovery | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

You're almost there buddy!

Edit: So when it says to download your ROM of choice. I've already provided the stock rooted 2.1 link.

Upvote 0
Ok, here goes what i have accomplished, im going to wait before doing anything else on some feedback:

I installed RDLite and Wins32bit drivers
I installed those on my computer.
I downloaded SPRecoveryES81.sbf
Turned off my Phone, rebooted holding UP Arrow
Ran RSDlite, and installed the .sbf file
So now i have SPRecovery Successfully installed, but not rooted yet...

I then downloaded and installed ESE81UPDATE.zip
but changed the filename to UPDATE.zip
Rebooted Droid holding down X, to bring up SPRecovery menu
Installed the UPDATE file

This finally "rooted" my droid, and i now have SuperUserAccess

I downloaded both ROM Manager and SetCPU

This is the part im stuck at. I ran SetCPU and the max i can OC still say 550MHz
is this right?

As i said this is the part im stuck at. I believe i am supposed to download a "kernel" with more cpu slots correct?

If thats the case i downloaded the following:

BEKIT7X1200IV its currently in a zip file. This file or kernel is supposed to allow me to OC the Droid up to 1.2 MHz...

Again my question is how do i install this file??

I have the following programs:
SPRecovery
ROM Manager.

I believe im pretty much at the final step, and just want to make sure i do this right, i ve had a hard time, but now i know that this was relatively easy..given you pay attention lol

Upvote 0
Ok, here goes what i have accomplished, im going to wait before doing anything else on some feedback:

I installed RDLite and Wins32bit drivers
I installed those on my computer.
I downloaded SPRecoveryES81.sbf
Turned off my Phone, rebooted holding UP Arrow
Ran RSDlite, and installed the .sbf file
So now i have SPRecovery Successfully installed, but not rooted yet...

I then downloaded and installed ESE81UPDATE.zip
but changed the filename to UPDATE.zip
Rebooted Droid holding down X, to bring up SPRecovery menu
Installed the UPDATE file

This finally "rooted" my droid, and i now have SuperUserAccess

I downloaded both ROM Manager and SetCPU

This is the part im stuck at. I ran SetCPU and the max i can OC still say 550MHz
is this right?

As i said this is the part im stuck at. I believe i am supposed to download a "kernel" with more cpu slots correct?

If thats the case i downloaded the following:

BEKIT7X1200IV its currently in a zip file. This file or kernel is supposed to allow me to OC the Droid up to 1.2 MHz...

Again my question is how do i install this file??

I have the following programs:
SPRecovery
ROM Manager.

I believe im pretty much at the final step, and just want to make sure i do this right, i ve had a hard time, but now i know that this was relatively easy..given you pay attention lol

I was in the same boat as you. I was happy with stock but just wanted a speed boost. That being said you should just use rom manager and dowwnload and install bugless beast v1. The speed is great and the removal of bloatware was the cherry on top. I used the 1ghz kernel option on rom manager.

Upvote 0
Okay I have rom manager,I dl bugless beast v.1 and it runs its ccourse and reboots, but in still can't oc the cpu over 550..I don't even see any bugless icon or anything, do I have to boot/flash via sprecovery methhhod? I just need the kernel to allow me to oc...now tho when I hold x to reboot I don't get the sprecovery screen for some reason

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones