• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

oem extended battery? hate thick covers

Is there an OEM extended battery that I can use the normal backing for my phone? The only ones I've seen were batteries that had hideously fat back covers. I'm looking to use everything stock but can't find a think (regular) battery. Are there any out yet?

I bought a Hyperion extended battery from Amazon and yes, it has the fatter back but at least it's the same glossy white plastic as the original. I'll gladly take that AND it's 50% additional battery life for a little "thickness". It's pretty hard to find anything worth the trouble that isn't thicker.

Upvote 0
Is there an OEM extended battery that I can use the normal backing for my phone? The only ones I've seen were batteries that had hideously fat back covers. I'm looking to use everything stock but can't find a think (regular) battery. Are there any out yet?

I think the main issue with finding a "stock" sized battery with more capacity is that the two are directly proportional (for the most part), so if you want more juice, you need a physically bigger battery.

I used to have a Motorola & there were tons of aftermarket batteries floating around that claimed to be the same size but have a higher capacity & when tested, all of them were either at or below the rating of the stock battery.

Upvote 0
Amazon has 2 "extended" batteries that fit the standard cover.

there's a Hyperion models in 2100 and 2200 mAh capacities.

and then there's Onite models in 2200 mAh and 2300 mAh.

be aware tho, if you want to keep NFC, some of these have that ability, and some of these don't.

I would not call those an extended battery. My S3 came stock with a 2100 mAh battery out of the box.

Upvote 0
The Hyperion 4200 extended battery has made my GS3 a much more enjoyable experience. Instead of 8 hours on 1 charge, I can get 24 hours and some days even more than that.

I totally agree. All I really ask is to get from the time I get up to the time I go to bed because I put my phone on the charger every night. My days are long though so I needed an extended battery. The Hyperion works great and even though it's thicker, I got pretty much the same style battery cover so I'm completely happy with it.

Upvote 0
i have great battery life with my stock battery so far. Today, with heavy usage for me which was watching an hour long youtube video watch other videos on youtube. About 5 calls and decent amount of texting. All this was with 4G on and was on all day never turned it off! I got 18 hours out of the batter ( unplugged it at around 1am when it woke me up from telling me it was fully charged. The other day i got 23 hours out of it and had 47% left i think. This is all on JB blazer rom nothing else changed

Upvote 0
Is that a trustworthy site?

Mugen Power Batteries is one of the world's leading producers of extended batteries. I've never needed an extended battery myself but I've known people who have. They've never had any issues with Mugen.

Here are some reviews if you want some different opinions.
mugen battery review - YouTube.

cheers.

Reactions: Sayasugizo
Upvote 0
im hoping to find new info on an old thread.

by now im sure you all know samsung has an official 3000mah extended battery. i have read reviews that it will work with a seidio active phone case, if you do not use the back plate. so you can have a stock feel with the extra juice. im sure that might be the case with other cases. (i currently have a similar setup with my galaxy nexus and a pop case)

what i am wondering is what is the physical size difference between the official samsung 3000 and other high quality (nfc enabled) aftermarket batteries. which ones are the same size or extremely close to the same size as sumsungs 3000mah battery.

for instance i want to use the s3 with the siedio active case with the hyperion 4200 extended battery. but im not sure if the hyperion is drastically larger then the 3000mah samsung.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones