• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMax: what is it, why do we want it

how long will it take for wimax 2 to be deployed?

The belief is it will be available for the us next year, But I doubt we will see it before 2012.

They have software upgrades coming early next year to boost current speeds, so I doubt there will be a big rush For Wimax 2.

Coverage will be more important goal next year for Clear-Sprint in my opinion

Reactions: THEFORCE
Upvote 0
Partial quote:
Dramatically. Wimax works like a spider web. The more connection you make to one spot the better your connection will be...

I live in a single family home in an area that has broadband competition (VZ FIOS, Comcast, Clear/Sprint). There are three WiMax towers within 1.5 miles.

I was thinking of trying out fixed WiMax, when Wimax-2 becomes available, as my reading leads me to believe it will surpass the capabilities of FIOS.

Your information that the more connections the better leads me to consider putting an external unidirectional antenna on the roof might be a good investment.

Have I completely misunderstood you or is my idea worth considering?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones