• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Android 2.2 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This shows that Google needs to sort out how upgrades will be issued, whether it is in a patch form or via the app upgrades through Market.

If updates are going to come out regularly, and there will be so many Android devices on sale, the concept of waiting for the likes of HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson to do their own patch is silly.

Why not do like Apple and offer easy OTA updates for 1.x, 2.x until such time that it is considered 'finished' and the next version is launched, which would be 3.x. You might reasonably expect to need to get new hardware for such a jump, or perhaps pay for the upgrade like you would when changing from Vista to Windows 7 or Mac OSX 10.5 to 10.6.

From 2.0 to 2.0.1 to 2.1 to 2.2, it shouldn't be such a fuss to update. It's only going to get a lot worse in the months ahead if they don't address this. I hope that's high up on the agenda at this conference!

Reactions: subzuk
Upvote 0
Wow, Froyo is not even out yet and there is already talk of Gingerbread for Q4 of 2010.

Android Gingerbread is 'planned for Q4 2010' -- Engadget

Oh! The news keep getting sweeter and sweeter (pun intended ;)) I have this little conspiracy theory that Google is trying to fatten us up, lol ;)

This shows that Google needs to sort out how upgrades will be issued, whether it is in a patch form or via the app upgrades through Market.

If updates are going to come out regularly, and there will be so many Android devices on sale, the concept of waiting for the likes of HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson to do their own patch is silly.

Why not do like Apple and offer easy OTA updates for 1.x, 2.x until such time that it is considered 'finished' and the next version is launched, which would be 3.x. You might reasonably expect to need to get new hardware for such a jump, or perhaps pay for the upgrade like you would when changing from Vista to Windows 7 or Mac OSX 10.5 to 10.6.

From 2.0 to 2.0.1 to 2.1 to 2.2, it shouldn't be such a fuss to update. It's only going to get a lot worse in the months ahead if they don't address this. I hope that's high up on the agenda at this conference!

That would be the most ideal but when you add manufacturer's UI (Sense, motoblur, bada, timescape/mediascape) and carrier's branding into the equation, it somehow becomes more complicated for updates...although in theory it shouldn't be :/

Upvote 0
HTC should be able to issue a patch for Sense to go over the new OS, so in theory it shouldn't be hard at all.

HTC has its own home screen and app menu, but that can't be hard to update. In fact, why should it automatically fail because of a new OS? Has anyone ever asked HTC why it's so hard to update - or are we told it is purely so HTC can delay (or never release) updates.

Many things are simply apps or widgets, while the clever social networking integration must also be little more than what a third party app would (or could) do. HTC has made it look incredibly slick, but it doesn't appear to be that embedded with the OS.

The same goes for other manufacturers. Timescape is really just an app, that syncs in the background (and sucks all power from your battery!). MotoBlur is just an app too, isn't it?

Upvote 0
HTC should be able to issue a patch for Sense to go over the new OS, so in theory it shouldn't be hard at all.

HTC has its own home screen and app menu, but that can't be hard to update. In fact, why should it automatically fail because of a new OS? Has anyone ever asked HTC why it's so hard to update - or are we told it is purely so HTC can delay (or never release) updates.

Many things are simply apps or widgets, while the clever social networking integration must also be little more than what a third party app would (or could) do. HTC has made it look incredibly slick, but it doesn't appear to be that embedded with the OS.

The same goes for other manufacturers. Timescape is really just an app, that syncs in the background (and sucks all power from your battery!). MotoBlur is just an app too, isn't it?

From what I read and gather, the OS and UI are 2 different layers, so an OS update should only affect the OS part and should thus (in theory) be quite easy to do. I don't remember reading why HTC's updates take so long...just that they are :/

Well with Froyo, as mentioned, Google is going to bypass this by putting more of the functional OS apps out on the market. So when these apps update, we can install them. I think this is a good first step, but still not enough, as there are SW updates that cannot be done through the market like apps2SD or JIT compilation that will make the phone run faster (EXCLUSIVE: AndroidPolice.com’s Nexus One Is Running Android 2.2 Froyo. How Fast Is It Compared To 2.1? Oh, Only About 450% Faster | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police )

Upvote 0
I don't remember reading why HTC's updates take so long...just that they are :/

I think it serves HTC well to make us believe it takes months to recompile the Sense code to work on a new Android OS. Yet, I bet they'll have a 2.2 device on sale in no time, running Sense, proving they can get it to work very easily.

I would like to read exactly WHY it isn't possible to add Sense to a new OS very quickly - and although everywhere you go says the same thing, you know how the Internet works now with forums and blogs. What was said once is now repeated so much we are all convinced it is fact.

I bet HTC will get 2.2 and have a working build of Android with Sense in a matter of hours. Purely for commercial reasons, we'll then have to wait ages for HTC to decide if it's actually worthwhile giving it away - as against launching a new family of handsets.

Upvote 0
Nokia never used to upgrade users to the latest Symbian revision (or feature pack), with a few exceptions, and it was regularly blamed on hardware issues. In many cases it was simply not true, but it was at a time when manufacturers released a phone and what you got is what you got. Maybe the odd bug fix and occasionally a new feature, but rarely a major update. Even software developers would often charge you for relatively minor updates, while you now get pretty used to regular updates that are free.

Then Apple came along and, to its credit, started to offer people upgrades - and free ones at that. Now we hope and expect them, even though there will become a point where hardware disallows continual upgrades.

A lot of updates are still down to marketing people not wanting to lose sales of a new device by upgrading an older phone. Acer has released the Liquid with 2.1 but still won't give 1.6 owners the upgrade. It's the exact same phone! People have already manually updated to prove the point.

Now, what HTC has done is issue other updates to address things from poor battery life to USB issues, but I still think they could update people to 2.1 a lot quicker - and 2.2 equally quick.

Haven't people got 2.x running on the HTC Magic? In fact, haven't people got 2.1 running on a Hero (without Sense). Sense isn't that magical!

Upvote 0
You can't compare builds off the net to commercial builds. Commercial builds have to meet much more stringent standards and testing methods.

Just because Some Bloke on a Forum knocked together a working 2.1 rom for an older handset, doesn't mean that HTC can do the same in the same timeframe.

I do agree, they've been ridiculously slow about their updates, but I'm happy to believe the explanations I've heard, rather than immediately assuming the worst about their intentions.

Upvote 0
Just because Some Bloke on a Forum knocked together a working 2.1 rom for an older handset, doesn't mean that HTC can do the same in the same timeframe.

You know what you just said makes HTC look like a complete imbacile? 'Some Bloke' can do it, but HTC can't. This makes you question the company and its intentions.

Upvote 0
@Roze

You're missing the point though. 'Some bloke' can just knock it up, test it once and release it, without having to worry about settings and standards for various different markets and without having to test it to the same standards that the commercial releases must be tested.

Plus you have to integrate the Sense UI and modify it depending on the abilities of the hardware.

There's a certain amount of bugginess you can forgive with home-cooked roms, HTC can't get away with releasing software in that state.

It's only natural that they have longer development periods (but again, I agree, it took far too long with the Hero)

FroYo was just officially announced btw. Woop.

Upvote 0
You can't compare builds off the net to commercial builds. Commercial builds have to meet much more stringent standards and testing methods.

I didn't mean to imply that, as it wasn't what I meant. It was just that the Magic and Hero can easily run 2.1. The Acer Liquid IS already running 2.1 but existing owners can't upgrade (this is the most bizarre of all).

I think we're too easily made to believe that 2.1 is some massive rebuild of everything when it isn't. It's a very modular OS and the fact is, some bloke can compile his or her own version without damaging security or reliability. The same goes with Symbian as demonstrated so well with the Omnia HD/I8910 HD that has loads of variants.

HTC could therefore do the necessary work very easily if it so desired. I also believe that a lot of the core things (especially in regards to network operability) don't change and are simply imported when you compile the ROM. I don't even know why changing these things would stop Sense working anyway. It runs like any other application and I don't need to replace all my other apps when I update, as I did on the Milestone to 2.0.1 and then 2.1.

Upvote 0
@Roze

You're missing the point though. 'Some bloke' can just knock it up, test it once and release it, without having to worry about settings and standards for various different markets and without having to test it to the same standards that the commercial releases must be tested.

Plus you have to integrate the Sense UI and modify it depending on the abilities of the hardware.

There's a certain amount of bugginess you can forgive with home-cooked roms, HTC can't get away with releasing software in that state.

It's only natural that they have longer development periods (but again, I agree, it took far too long with the Hero)

Ah, OK, I didn't take that into consideration XD But even if they must do all of these testings, to take over 5 months before it starts releasing the update is just LONG!

FroYo was just officially announced btw. Woop.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! :D lol...Reading what 2.2 has to offer!!! Damn...just exicted when the OTA starts rolling out now!

Upvote 0
I thought I'd just post the tweet that Rob (our AF leader) is tweeting:
- 2-5x speed increase in performance regardless of your hardware
- Better native Exchange support for Android 2.2! "We are now Exchange's friend". Introduces more powerful enterprise tools
- New API to support data portability in apps for devs! Moving to a different phone = moving your apps and settings along with it
- Google services (Gmail, Maps, etc) trigger intents from Web-based versions of apps. Immediate push notifications
- Send directions, web pages, and more straight to your device!
- Tethering and Wifi Hotspot officially baked into Froyo! How about connecting that iPad to the internet using a Nexus One?
- V8 Javascript Engine announced for Android. 2x-3x performance increase in the Android browser.
- Thanks to HTML 5, your browser will be able to access your phone's sensors, such as the camera and accelorometer
- Smart voice-search based on keywords. Enhanced voice recognition
New voice recognition allows you to control Froyo. "Call Fifth Street restaurant".
- Translate your voice using Google translate in the browser as it automatically plays back the language it was translated to!
- Android market getting some enhancements
-Adobe's Flash and AIR is coming!
- App search widget: search for apps right from your desktop. Also global search within app data thanks to new API
- Apps to SD announced! Froyo will enable you to install apps to your SD card without having to worry about partitioning!
- Update all apps! No longer do you have to update your apps one by one!

Google I/O Live Blog | Android Phone Fans

Upvote 0
Vic is just gushing over the HTC EVO 4G. EVERY attendee gets an EVO 4G! <----WHOA!!! I bet the room went wild with this news!!! haha...kind of jealouse...attendee gets the Evo 2 weeks before it is even release!

Realized something...it'd suck if they aren't with Sprint >_>;

Another realization...does that mean the Evo has 2.2 on it? *_* I mean...it makes sense that after announcing 2.2, and then that everyone would get the EVO...it's not too much of a jump for me to conclude that EVO would sport 2.2 right?

Going to the Evo Forum and seeing how the 'party' there is XD

Upvote 0
Vic is just gushing over the HTC EVO 4G. EVERY attendee gets an EVO 4G! <----WHOA!!! I bet the room went wild with this news!!! haha...kind of jealouse...attendee gets the Evo 2 weeks before it is even release!

Realized something...it'd suck if they aren't with Sprint >_>;

Another realization...does that mean the Evo has 2.2 on it? *_*

I'd guess it does

Upvote 0
They were saying 2.1 up until last week... maybe they were keeping it under wraps, though.

It would make more sense if it shipped with 2.2, and it would be encouraging for Desire owners, since the Hardware in the two phones is very similar... fingers crossed

edit: Engadget review of the Evo says Android 2.1

Upvote 0
It is confirmed by google. They are having their I/O event now. Everyone gets an EVO 4G.
RE software version probably 2.1 as there needs to be a sense update for 2.2

Also the 2.2 beta hasn't been released yet.

Some highlight are Chrome's v8 engine coming to android browser.

1. Speed - The android team have added a Just in time compiler. Apps now run 2-5x faster.

2. Enterprise - Android gets more business friendly with improved exchange support, along with 20 new enterprise features.

3. Services - Tethering as standard, push to phone features (laptop/ pc etc can send data to phone in a snap using chrome extensions) Wifi hotspot as standard, turn your phone into a wifi hotspot for devices.

4. Browser - 2-3x better JavaScript performance (V8). Also there will be flash and air support built into the browser. (Can be disabled if needed)

5. Market - Apps can now run off the SD card, update all icon for apps. Apps can now be updated all at once rather than individually. Also an auto update feature has been enabled. Application error reporting function has been added. Will help developers address errors faster. Can add comments much like when firefox crashes runs as a Web app.

Apps can now be browsed using internet browser on a computer, purchased and then auto downloaded to your phone over the air.

Ability to stream music from your laptop / computer to your device, call it your own personal spotify. Also music can be sent to your device over wifi.

Hit the link in Jon's post for the live stream.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones