• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime is coming...prepare and expect it on Verizon.

When, Cereal Killer, when?!

Is the SCH-i515 the Prime we've all been waiting for? Or will there be another?

Tell us!!

Come on, Cereal Killer. We're big fans of your work!

21406289_xlarge.jpeg

Upvote 0
Just looked at "who's still getting Bionic" thread again over at Bionic forum. I'm surprised that Prime is winning the poll by 10 now. Bionic was winning the poll handily just a few days ago. No offense to them, but it was fun reading them busy defending their reasons to get Bionic now than waiting a little more for better ones.

I know, I'm kind of getting a kick out of it. When I started the thread, I was totally skewered, tarred and feathered. Not that I cared much, but I was surprised by it (although I supposed I shouldn't have been, given that it is a Bionic forum thread, but I really didn't think I was trolling). And now the Bionic's not getting as much love as it used to.

Nothing against the Bionic; if it was the best phone coming out this year I'd jump on it.

If Bionic sales lag because of Prime or iPhone sales, though, Moto only has themselves to blame. It would have been an utter monster in May.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I have no idea what you're all talking about with this badabing and OS nonsense, lol

I was just wondering if the SCH-i515 and the SCH-i9250, that Magdelaine alluded to, is the same phone?

I'm on a Droid that my husband gave me when he upgraded, but my own upgrade is next month and I'm not letting him take this one, too! :)

So I'd like to make the best decision. I'm not into rooting or hacking, even though my husband is, but I would like a pretty screen (I play "words with friends" a lot) and a phone that is easy to use. I don't want an iPhone because the screen isn't big enough and I don't like the syncing.

Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0
......I was just wondering if the SCH-i515 and the SCH-i9250, that Magdelaine alluded to, is the same phone?

That's a good question...and it's very confusing. First off, the i9250 is a GT prefix, not an SCH prefix. It's definitely not literally the same phone, but might be two different versions of the same phone.

My opinion is that the SCH-i515 will be Verizon's (bloated?) version of the Nexus Prime, and the GT-i9250 might be Google's pure Nexus version for everyone else, given that SCH is a prefix for Verizon phones, while GT isn't.

If this is true, it might disappoint some people on Verizon, but not me. Samsung's phones are very easily rootable and can be manually updated to the latest software releases.

Given the fact that GT-i9250 has already passed wifi certification and now pops up on a support page, it definitely exists.

Welcome to the wonderful and extremely frustrating world of waiting for the perfect phone! ;)

Upvote 0
Other than confirmation on Verizon, I think I'm most curious to find out the dimensions of the device. If you look to the left, I've only ever had keyboard devices, so one of the only reasons I'm considering this device is because of the screen real estate. If they can keep the physical dimensions of the device reasonable, even with the increased screen size, I'm in.

Upvote 0
...And even ANOTHER model number!

Samsung GT-I9220 and GT-I9250 could BOTH be Nexus Prime? | News | TechRadar UK

What are we up to, three now?

It actually makes sense, if Google wants Nexus Prime variants on all four major carriers. Which means that we might/should expect one more GT model to show up!

The Verizon exclusive period may not be as long as we think. We might be seeing a whole slew of Nexus devices before Thanksgiving. That would be sweet.

I just hope we see i515 get wifi certification soon. Seems weird that these two handsets get wifi before i515, IF Verizon is the first to have it. . . .

curiouser and curiouser.

Upvote 0
The Verizon exclusive period may not be as long as we think.

I really couldn't care less if the other carriers get both the SGS2 AND the Prime (well, maybe a little miffed). As long as I can get my paws around this thing in a timely manner, they can release it to Cricket for all I care. Come on, October!

Upvote 0
It actually makes sense, if Google wants Nexus Prime variants on all four major carriers. Which means that we might/should expect one more GT model to show up!

The Verizon exclusive period may not be as long as we think. We might be seeing a whole slew of Nexus devices before Thanksgiving. That would be sweet.

I just hope we see i515 get wifi certification soon. Seems weird that these two handsets get wifi before i515, IF Verizon is the first to have it. . . .

curiouser and curiouser.
Man I sure hope that's true. I'm trying not to be tempted to get the GS2. I been holding on all year. I been waiting for a game changer and I think the next Nexus is it. An army of Nexus Primes for different carriers would be epic!

Upvote 0
I really couldn't care less if the other carriers get both the SGS2 AND the Prime (well, maybe a little miffed). As long as I can get my paws around this thing in a timely manner, they can release it to Cricket for all I care. Come on, October!

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with big red since its the only carrier that works at my house unless sprint decides to beef up their tower a bit. So, I guess I'm just stuck waiting...

Upvote 0
ARRRGH. This reminds me of waiting for the SGS2 to show up for Verizon...and then it never did because VZW isn't getting it. At this point it's still a unicorn. Seeing is believing for me this time around.

Upvote 0
ARRRGH. This reminds me of waiting for the SGS2 to show up for Verizon...and then it never did because VZW isn't getting it. At this point it's still a unicorn. Seeing is believing for me this time around.

Yes, but there are a couple of small, but very significant differences.

SGSII:

There were only really 2 things we heard about this phone POSSIBLY being on Verizon. #1, Sammy said it was releasing it in the US "sometime in August", which turned out to be off, but not by much. #2, some idiot named Paul Mueller, known only as an "industry insider" said that Verizon would be the first to launch the SGSII on August 12. I don't hold much resentment towards him because his credibility has been totally shot and he will never be cited again.

That's it. Not a peep from wifi or bluetooth certification, nothing through the FCC for Verizon. We all thought, for some deluded moments, that perhaps the Verizon version had "secretly" passed through the FCC, even though the Sprint, AT&T, and TMobile variants were springing up all over the place in FCC docs like they were weeds.

The end result, of course, was that the Verizon variant simply did not exist.

PRIME:

I wouldn't call this a unicorn. Unicorn suggests something that doesn't exist and is supported only by idiots' or liars' claims. That definitely would fit the SGSII Verizon rumors. The Prime, in contrast, has been reportedly seen at Verizon HQ. I won't go into the BGR claims that were backed up by the Korean Electronic Times, but suffice to say that BGR leaked a model number that hadn't really been seen before (i515), which was later confirmed by P3Droid and by a handset with that model number passing through bluetooth certification only 1 day after the BGR report.

I think the fact that Prime has actually shown up in testing circles, having CDMA and an SCH prefix with a North American destination, gives a lot of weight to the notion that Verizon will soon have this monster.

When? That's the question. October has been thrown around, of course, but I think that is rather optimistic.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones