• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
well as a long timer lurker, I can say I've been obsessed about this phone since the GSII ended up being denied entry by VZN. I've been on the rollercoaster of this thing coming out late October, 1st week of November, then alternating between 17 and 24, then MAYBE black friday, now back to probably 17th?

My old Droid is seizing up often, it just lacks the memory, makes it a pain to go between apps. I thought I might go crazy if I dont get this Nexus soon....UNTIL

I just started playing Skyrim friday, not really my usual type of game, Im more into COD/HL2 type games. But this game is EPIC on so many levels I dont think I mind waiting even through the end of the month for the nexus. Unfortunately the wife isnt too happy now lol

Reactions: Reborn58
Upvote 0
The official Bionic release came the day before. Peolpe are looking for rhyme or reason to Verizon's madness, but are forgetting that this is Google's phone. That throws another level of complexity into the chaos.

Not according to the VP on Fox news that said it was Verizon's phone when asked about it being released..................

Upvote 0
4460 vs 4430 they won't know. 5mp vs 8mp, how this discussion started, they probably will. 1.2ghz vs 1.5ghz they may.

as for SD slot, how do you know they don't view it as a limitation? maybe they do but it's a compromise they were willing to make?

I don't have a link available, but Andy Rubin has said he's not a proponent of SD cards. It's not a coincidence that the last two nexus phones haven't had one.

Reactions: mistermojorizi
Upvote 0
Just stirring the pot and throwing some gas on the fire, but apparently a few people in this thread have heard friday...?? Eh, take it for what it's worth. Probably just idle gossip but still fun. lol

Nexus Dropping Friday? This guy says so...

I asked him if he was sure about that, he said they are already getting them in stock. He was messing around with one earlier in the day.

These two sentences are what really gives me hope.

Reactions: Ninjak and drbugsmn
Upvote 0
Not according to the VP on Fox news that said it was Verizon's phone when asked about it being released..................

The Samsung VP didn't mean the phone was made by Verizon...
What nj02vette was trying to say, I think, is that because the launch of this phone is a collaboration not only between the manufacturer and the carrier, but the manufacturer, the carrier, and Google, it makes the launch even more unpredictable. Sure Verizon gets the final say, but there are many factors.

Upvote 0
Awesome! I had an American bulldog.mix - she was a huge ball of terrier energy. I bet our fella keeps you pretty busy too. The new little girls have started to settle in so they are sleeping a lot and giving me lots of forum time :)

Love my boy...he's such a lover...I loooooooove all Terriers. Such great personalities.

Here are my pups: :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Upvote 0
Please re-read the context of my post. The technology wasn't available when they started designing the phone. They couldn't go down and pick from the local parts bin for 1.5GHz dual core parts. They had to make selections early on in the design cycle, and then live with the results. For whatever reason, 1.2GHz was the result.

your point is well taken, though I guess rezound could find one in that bin. granted they're from different manufacturers.

By your rational, why didn't they put quad core SOCs in them? Or run 3GHz. I'm not trying to be blunt, but you don't seem to have the concept of product design. Companies have roadmaps and marketing departments and engineering teams that discuss the future of products. They determine the features necessary, feasiblity of them being available in the timeframe, and where the competition is. Engineering is all about compromises. A Core i7 would make a pretty fast phone, for all of 1min of battery life.

to dispel someone's argument, state their argument, then take it to the extreme. it sounds absurd in the extreme, therefore their argument was flawed from the outset. Right? well, not quite. this strategy is called the "slippery slope argument." As it turns out every argument becomes absurd in the extreme. Doesn't mean that every argument doesn't hold water because it can't survive the slippery slope test.

I'm talking about 1.5 vs 1.2, not i7 vs 1.2. I understand what you're trying to say about design strategy, and glad that you recognize that compromizes have to be made. That's fine. But let's acknowledge them as compromises instead of saying the gnex can do no wrong. They probably could have found a compromise with a 1.5 or an 8mp camera without losing to much on the other end.

I stated that I was disappointed it wasn't 1.5GHz, but I also stated that I believe they underclocked it for a reason.

you're probably right. what do you think the reason was? batt life?

As for the "average" consumer, you're going to have to admit, the average consumer doesn't look at specs and obsess over them like we do.

the look at some, just not indepth. i've heard plenty of average consumers touting the megapixels of their point and shoots. Or that they "bought an LED tv not an LCD." and other fallacies like that. they know enough to get themselves in trouble.

You comment about the SD card is pointless, because 90%+ of smartphone users don't even know they have a removable card. Witness the number of iPhone users, who just plain don't care about removable storage. The SD card was never a design limitation (obviously), but is Google's choice. This is Google's phone, and you get all the good and bad that comes with it. Arguing about it now does nothing. You either live with that, or you chose another phone that meets your needs better. There were many people here in the earlier days of the thread that were regular posters that felt the GNex wasn't for them, so they moved on. No SD card was a deal breaker for them, just as the non-removable battery killed the RAZR for others.

Sure, I'd prefer if this had a 1.5GHz 4460, 8MP camera, and non-pentile display. But I'd also prefer if this had quad core 2.0GHz, 12MP camera and quad HD display, along with a battery that lasted two weeks.

I understand your argument, but it seems like you are just trying to get justification why it doesn't top every spec in a chart. The Nexus devices have never been about the latest hardware. It's hard for them to be, when as I mentioned serve dual purposes. It is a development platform for ICS, and it certainly is competitive with all current phones. Seems to be performing quite well in benchmarks (non-quadrant). Even though the hardware may not be reflected in spec sheets, performance relative to recently released phones is quite comptitive, or even better. But ICS is really the star attraction here. So much so, that some have stated they can't recommend a phone without ICS.

points well taken. good discussion

Upvote 0
Apparently everyone does. Ur not the first to tell me that. Ha

I didn't expect I was. Lol.
But do we get to hear how that name came to be or is it not fit for forum discussion?

Love my boy...he's such a lover...I loooooooove all Terriers. Such great personalities.

Here are my pups: :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Omg love them!!!

Upvote 0
It's all about the cloud

That's where it seems like the companies are trying to get us.

Ya the cloud bites

I used to agree. Then the rom I flashed and my computer decided to hate one another so the cloud is very good and has actually prepared me for my Nyx Nexadactyl.

Upvote 0
So I was speaking with a friend that works for Verizon today. We will talk phones, but he doesn't ever offer up leak info and I typically don't ask (he knows I'm involved here). So we were talking and I brought up the oddity of Verizon releasing 3 major phones at the same time. He confessed that it has not made things easy in his office lately, but that everything was being managed. At this point I brought up the Nexus and the lack of information from Verizon and Google as well as all the rumors. He admitted to hearing a few rumors and brought up the talk of Verizon trying to delay the phone or push it around so they could promote the Razr and Rezound specifically. I asked him what he thought of these rumors and he said:
"Do people think this phone was forced on Verizon by Google? The way everyone is talking you would think that Verizon lost some kind of bet and they have no option but to sell the Galaxy Nexus. Doesn't anyone remember that it was Verizon that originally turned down Apple over the iPhone? They don't agree to do things that they don't want to do and they don't agree to offer phones that they don't want to offer. If Verizon wasn't interested in selling this phone, then there probably wouldn't be an LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus."

We kind of changed the subject to talk about our kids at that point. He really isn't a phone person and isn't all that interested in talking about work most of the time.

I thought that he brought up some interesting points though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones