• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, over approximately a one hour lunch we got about 100 posts. Assuming we maintain that pace for 8 hours a day then slow down to 50 posts an hour the rest of the time that would give us approximately 1600 posts a day, however we all need to sleep and things slow down at night, so I'm going to assume we can easily average 1200 posts a day at our current rate ... We should take bets on what post we'll be on when the official Verizon announcement and link gets posted here. :)

Time for me to tackle a high priority project for my bosses boss though so I'll probably miss something here and it'll most likely take me like an hour to get caught up.

Upvote 0
If this was about anything other than the RAZR, then we'd have a GN presale right now with a ship date of no later than 12/17. Everybody wins in that scenario except the RAZR and abysmal RAZR sales.
You may be right. All I'm saying is that there are always information we don't have, and I like to have all the info before passing judgement.

Reactions: durangojim
Upvote 0
But I'm also wise enough to know that I don't know everything. Perhaps the Verizon date was never this early, and because of the UK release, we all just assumed. Point is, we don't know, and I don't necessarily believe the notion that Verizon is a giant clusterbum who can't get out of thier own way. While big companies certainly aren't infallable, you have to admit they generally have to make good decisions to make money. Just because those decisions don't line up with yours doens't immediately make it bad one.

Just had to chime in, I work for a multibillion dollar top 5 Fortune 500 company.....we make money despite ourselves and often can't get out of our own way. The bigger you are....the slower you move.

Upvote 0
Can I just point out that being available in one store in the country does not imho count as "a launch"? That's what it's looking like right now, and that's a nonsense. I could have walked in to CPW and bought a Nokia Lumia today, on its launch day.... :rolleyes:

Sorry, no, you must be new here.

This is the Galaxy Nexus pre-release thread.

Logic with supporting facts, like a tuxedo with a nice tie at a pool party, is completely optional here.

:D j/k bro :D
Am I? :eek:

Reactions: MoPhoMan
Upvote 0
What does the RAZR have going for it? Amoled and thinness. GN has a better amoled screen and almost as thin (or at least thin enough that nobody would care). The GN replaces the RAZR in every way with better specs. Any semi-intelligent person walks into store... puts the two devices together with appearance/specs and picks the GN 100% of the time. RAZR sales halt to ZERO when the GN is released.

This is why, in my opinion, we have not heard a concrete release date yet. Once they give a release date people will hold off on the RAZR until the GNex is released.

Upvote 0
What does the RAZR have going for it? Amoled and thinness. GN has a better amoled screen and almost as thin (or at least thin enough that nobody would care). The GN replaces the RAZR in every way with better specs. Any semi-intelligent person walks into store... puts the two devices together with appearance/specs and picks the GN 100% of the time. RAZR sales halt to ZERO when the GN is released.
Also has SD card, which was a deal breaker for many here. Similar processor speed (albeit graphics clocked higher in GNex), and some may prefer the water resistance and form factor better.

Just ask Cerial Killer, who was one of the most prolific posters here, and bowed out to get the RAZR.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. I actually think this cannibalizes sales of the Rezound more.

Reactions: benne13
Upvote 0
OK, so here's a couple of questions for Han and the other Verizon haters.

1. If you hate Verizon and the "a-holes" so much, why not order a phone from overseas tomorrow and activate it on AT&T?

2. Would you still be as upset if Verizon had initially announced the phone would be available 12/31/11 instead of "later this year"?

3. Would you be upset if Google/Samsung/Verizon had not announced the phone until December 24, and then said it would be available a week later?

My point is that Verizon said we'd get the phone this year. "Insiders", "sources" and others are the ones who kept talking about November here in the US. Maybe you should be angry at them, or maybe you shouldn't be angry at all -- I'm assuming you're relatively healthy, have a well paying job where you don't have to work too hard, and you get to make friends on the internet. Doesn't sound like to bad of a life.

Do what I'm doing and chill, when it happens it happens.

IMAGE_1000001251.JPG

Upvote 0
hmm, over approximately a one hour lunch we got about 100 posts. Assuming we maintain that pace for 8 hours a day then slow down to 50 posts an hour the rest of the time that would give us approximately 1600 posts a day, however we all need to sleep and things slow down at night, so i'm going to assume we can easily average 1200 posts a day at our current rate ... We should take bets on what post we'll be on when the official verizon announcement and link gets posted here. :)

time for me to tackle a high priority project for my bosses boss though so i'll probably miss something here and it'll most likely take me like an hour to get caught up.

Upvote 0
I'm confused by some of the chatter claiming the GNex is being pushed back by Verizon to increase sales of Razr and Rezound so that Verizon can make money.

I thought that Verizon makes money off of contracts, both new and renewed. If that's the case, then there wouldn't be a problem releasing the GNex now because if Verizon makes money off the contract, it doesn't matter which phone people purchase.

Joe Schmo can go into a Verizon store and have a wealth of options and get the phone that he really wants, instead of settling for one he isn't happy with or worse yet leaving without a phone or contract.

I think Verizon is just being sticklers with the testing, hoping Google will cave and allow bloat on the phone to get it released sooner rather than later.

Reactions: durangojim
Upvote 0
Well guys, I caved in and bought a RAZR last night. I couldn't stand using my old crappy flip phone, my girlfriend was getting annoyed because I hated texting on that thing, and I had to jump off this emotional roller coaster for a bit. I bought it with the intent on returning it for the Nexus once it is released, but after playing with it...wow. It really is a great phone. It is hard to believe but now I am not 100% sure if I will be giving it back...I mean, most likely I will, but we'll see once we actually have a date on the Nexus. Til then, I guess I am still observing the Nexus roller coaster...but observing from the ground instead of being on the ride lol.

EDIT: And I had the worst Customer Service experience EVER. WOW. It was horrible.

If I recall, didn't you have a similar situation with the Thunderbolt release? Am I confusing you with someone else? If so, I apologize.

Upvote 0
OK, so here's two questions for Han and the other Verizon haters.

1. If you hate Verizon and the "a-holes" so much, why not order a phone from overseas tomorrow and activate it on AT&T?

2. Would you still be as upset if Verizon had initially announced the phone would be available 12/31/11 instead of "later this year"?

3. Would you be upset if Google/Samsung/Verizon had not announced the phone until December 24, and then said it would be available a week later?

My point is that Verizon said we'd get the phone this year. "Insiders", "sources" and others are the ones who kept talking about November here in the US. Maybe you should be angry at them, or maybe you shouldn't be angry at all -- I'm assuming you're relatively healthy, have a well paying job where you don't have to work too hard, and you get to make friends on the internet. Doesn't sound like to bad of a life.

Do what I'm doing and chill, when it happens it happens.

1. Because it's cheaper to buy it subsidized, eventually, from Verizon.

2. No. There would at least be some communication, and that would be enough. I would have a definite time frame in mind, and that does wonders for the human psyche.

3. Not a peep of anything until December 24? Yes, that would upset me.

And sorry, but no, "insiders" weren't the ones who threw "November in the U.S." around. Google and Samsung said it at the unveiling. Verizon had to be pushed like a damn mule to even acknowledge that they would carry it.

If it came out in December or January (but they at least communicated that to me now), I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't be hating on them as much as I am now. Lack of communication kills any relationship, be it a marriage or a business relationship.

Upvote 0
Mik Mik has gotten thru the lock to S-OFF - screen shots are in the Rezound All Things Root area.

The developer models get rooted, it may take a few days to square away the processes and confirm the exploits for perm root.

Plus - I've not checked HTCdev.com - typically takes a few days after launch to get a phone listed there.

Anyway - earlier this year HTC went to a locked AND encrypted bootloader (shades of Moto). We mounted a petition, they agreed on the unlock for future phones, the future phones came out, the unlock was coming RSN (for you Pournelle fans, real soon now) - and the meantime, devs cracked their encryption.

I had the engineering/development bootloader on my Evo 4G, could have had it on my Evo 3D but still don't feel like bothering - both are S-OFF.

So - the full root tools should be publicly available pretty quickly.

HTC corporate keeps trying to build better mousetraps, but continue to fail to see that the HTC devs that are more like junkyard dogs than mice.

Anyway - if I turn out to be a liar (ummm, fat chance) - HTC has made a public commitment to give out unlock tools upon request, so either way - full root on the Rezound with recovery, just not anything to really lose sleep over.

Plus - if you're considering the Rezound as a stop gap until the Gnex hits - probably best to just enjoy it stock for the few days you'll have it anyways, imo. ;) :)

I just hope this stopgap doesn't turn out to be longer than we think. Looking very forward to doing a screen comparison. :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I'm confused by some of the chatter claiming the GNex is being pushed back by Verizon to increase sales of Razr and Rezound so that Verizon can make money.

I thought that Verizon makes money off of contracts, both new and renewed. If that's the case, then there wouldn't be a problem releasing the GNex now because if Verizon makes money off the contract, it doesn't matter which phone people purchase.

Joe Schmo can go into a Verizon store and have a wealth of options and get the phone that he really wants, instead of settling for one he isn't happy with or worse yet leaving without a phone or contract.

I think Verizon is just being sticklers with the testing, hoping Google will cave and allow bloat on the phone to get it released sooner rather than later.

Verizon probably committed to buying a crap ton of Razr's from Moto and doesn't want to get stuck with a bunch of unsold Razr's that they have to sell at 50% off the original price in order to get rid of them.

Upvote 0
Droid Eris owner since pretty much day one. Now looking to jump to the GNex. The wait is killing me but hoping it'll be worth it. I've really been enjoying reading the thread for the past week or so. Thanks to everyone for all the updates and rumors.

Welcome out of hiding! Seems like every time we lose one (EKG as the newest) we gain another lurker. (This is a good thing in my book!)

The primary advantages that RAZR has:

• It's geared toward Enterprise folks.
  • It's sturdy and water-resistant.
  • It's thin.
  • It's out NOW.

So if someone simply cannot wait any longer, at least it's there to get... unlike our Beloved Nexi.

That's the thing that is grabbing our family members and snatching them away - it's out now.

That sounds bad... but in a good way ;)

Lol. I knew it should have come with a disclaimer! :D

Reactions: Highwayman
Upvote 0
Also has SD card, which was a deal breaker for many here. Similar processor speed (albeit graphics clocked higher in GNex), and some may prefer the water resistance and form factor better.

Just ask Cerial Killer, who was one of the most prolific posters here, and bowed out to get the RAZR.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. I actually think this cannibalizes sales of the Rezound more.

It will cannibalize both... but the RAZR is what they care about. The Rezound is HTC's problem. Walk into a VZW store and you tell me what phone you think is most important to them. Even the iPhone display is minuscule compared to the 50 promotional pieces/displays of the RAZR.

95+% of the people will not need/use more than 32GB (nor care to switch out cards). That is a small niche that really need that feature. Kevlar, water proofing, and gorilla glass are nice but can't imagine they are on the top 10 list of anyone's most important features. The GN will kill the RAZR (and likely the Rezound). VZW is trying to recover as much loss as possible right now in the very stupid decision that they made to release both at relatively the same time.

They have to make a hard decision right now. Do we keep trying to sell RAZR's and hope that people cave in with lack of info on the GN? Or do we take the hit on the RAZR to save losing many customers to other carriers with the SGSII and other devices and much cheaper prices/plans.

I think that they are trying to walk the fence right now b/c they don't know what to do and are probably watching sales every day to help them know when to pull the trigger on the GN.

Upvote 0

If that was the case Im out. Will leave VZW and get a GN on ATT.

Upvote 0

But the theory a lot of folks seem to believe is that Verizon makes more money when selling bloated phone like Razr vs vanilla android phone like Nexus. I'm not 100% sure if this is correct. Just saying it's the perception of many.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones