• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official GSM Hero 2.1 Thread

I'm beginning to think HTC aren't going to bother with the Hero upgrade. The cynic in me suspects they will continue putting the 2.1 release date back until Hero owners collectively give up. It will only be a matter or time before it becomes old news and the media comments change from mild outrage to something along the lines of "well, the Hero is old now, so owners really can't expect continued support forever".

I would love to be proved wrong, but getting 2.1 is looking increasingly likely for root only.

Upvote 0
This is the whole reason why i've been holding off, I'm worried i'd brick my beloved Hero. But now it looks like the only option.

The only way you can really brick the phone is by interrupting a radio update. It's NOT necessary to upgrade the radio to install a custom ROM you only need to change the recovery partition. So you have as much chance of bricking your phone as you would have with an official update.

Upvote 0
I'm just waiting for HTC to announce that hero isn't getting 2.1 they've decided to skip it an give us 2.2 only it might take an extra month, July.

Then in july announce 2.2 is old-fashioned so they give us what ever begins with G 2.3/3 or whatever it'll be called.

I'm sticking with android. It's great, won't touch HTC again, shame as they were the first .

Quietly brilliant my ass they are just silent.

VEry poor customer service.

Upvote 0
I'm just waiting for HTC to announce that hero isn't getting 2.1 they've decided to skip it an give us 2.2 only it might take an extra month, July.

Then in july announce 2.2 is old-fashioned so they give us what ever begins with G 2.3/3 or whatever it'll be called.

I'm sticking with android. It's great, won't touch HTC again, shame as they were the first .

Quietly brilliant my ass they are just silent.

VEry poor customer service.

I agree with you! poor service .... shame.....

Upvote 0
The only way you can really brick the phone is by interrupting a radio update. It's NOT necessary to upgrade the radio to install a custom ROM you only need to change the recovery partition. So you have as much chance of bricking your phone as you would have with an official update.

bluenova, I am seriously considering rooting, after reading 100's of posts last night on the subject I'm still, excuse the pun, bricking it to even try.

Is there a no nonsense, made for idiots guide you could direct us to? I'll only speak for myself but after yesterdays news I'm sure there are dozens of people like me who want 2.1 but are too afraid of bricking their phone.

Any advice from anybody would be great and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Al

Upvote 0
Thanks Jaffa, I read the same thread last night and he has done a great job of explaining it. When I get the chance to sit down and read it again, probably taking notes!, I'll most likely give it a go. I just wish one of my more tech savvy mates had a Hero to walk me through but they all have 20th century iphones ;)

Al

Ill try and find time to add some points to the How to post for you Al which may help, cant promise it will be this week though, I have an interview Friday I have not preped for yet!!

Upvote 0
Much appreciated Jaffa.

Good luck with the interview, as a one time interviewer of 100s of people I will share with you my cast iron tip for passing an interview.

When they ask "do you have any questions?" Put on your very best interview smile and say this "not at the moment but is there a number I can call or a person I can contact if I do?" Trust me works every single time.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Lots of people looking to root. there's a great instructional thread on this forum... or- and this is what I used (step-by-step-for-not-particularly-techy-types) -

Rooting - How To: Root Your HTC Hero in One Click! (Updated 03.07.10!) | The Unlockr (read the instructions underneath as well as the video)

Installing a ROM - How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your HTC Hero | The Unlockr

These worked fine for me- I have a GSM unlocked Hero.

I've tried a few ROMs out now- the best of which is the Villain 5.2, linked here- [ROM]08/04/10 - VillainROM 5.2: RELEASE CANDIDATE - for GSM HERO (NOW WITH KITCHEN!) - xda-developers They are due to release a Villian 5.3 ROM very soon (developer 'soon' not HTC 'soon' so days rather than months and months and months!)

Hope that helps... just be careful.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I was waiting till the end of April, but that was the last straw - I have decided to go with Stickmans 2.1 Sense rom - so far it works perfectly!

For you other guys who are scared of rooting, just give yourself plenty of time, and follow the steps - simples.

Rooting of the phone wont brick it, its when you flash it with a ROM that theres a small chance - but by then you would have done your nandroid backup which can recover the situation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones