• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Ice Cream Sandwich Watch Thread

From intomobile.com quoting a statement from HTC:
"...While our goal is to upgrade as many of our recent devices as possible, we are committed to maintaining every phone’s performance and usability first. Please stay tuned for more updates on specific device upgrade plans."

I'm sure they have plans to work on emerging devices first, followed by the most capable and recent devices. I think our beloved DInc2 is not very high on that list, though I doubt it is incapable of running it. I'm guessing we will see a ported ROM or two (hopefully good ones) and yeah, maybe an official release someday when we're all ready to upgrade.
I can only presume it is in their best interest to get every device possible running it, since it will really be a uniting force for the Android community/market.

EDIT:
Just realized I linked to the same quote as G.adams22. I thought I found new stuff... Meh, oh well.

Upvote 0
Whatever hTC plans to do with ICS, severely bloat/lightly customize, i hope they will keep the " make all widgets resize-able feature". Oh yeah,& include a functioning alarm clock/countdown timer feature, i burnt my pizza in the oven last night because of that little flaw. :(

Sir, might I suggest you download the StopWatch & Timer app. Henceforth, thou pizza wouldst no longer burn in thy oven.

#oldenglishjuxtaposedwithmodernstuff

Upvote 0
Sir, might I suggest you download the StopWatch & Timer app. Henceforth, thou pizza wouldst no longer burn in thy oven.

#oldenglishjuxtaposedwithmodernstuff

But then again, maybe it is my fault for buying a product from a company whose slogan i already knew was "quietly brilliant" and expecting an alarm clock. ;)

Upvote 0
Back to business...

HTC aims for Ice Cream Sandwich with high expectations - SlashGear

I guess there is more info on hTC's Facebook page.

Quote from SlashGear site:
" Though Ice Cream Sandwich will have no new
hardware requirements as Google says, it’s important
to note that this means “no more than Gingerbread
has”, as it were. Thusly we can understand when HTC
says that “upgrades require a careful balance of
hardware and software to ensure the best possible
performance and usability, so please stay tuned as
we assess our product portfolio. ” HTC is sure to
provide updates for SOME of their devices, but a
betting person better bet on recent devices for the
most part, with devices from several years ago more
than likely getting the ax."

Upvote 0
Reactions: blackepoxy
Upvote 0
Just saw this. The Incredible 2 is not on the list of the first wave 2012 ICS upgrade :(

Our first wave of Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) updates for HTC handsets | Facebook

"HTC knows how excited our fans are to get their hands on Google's latest version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, so we're thrilled today to announce the first wave of HTC phones that will receive upgrades.

Ice Cream Sandwich is coming in early 2012 to a variety of devices including the HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XL and HTC Sensation XE, as well as the HTC Rezound*, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G* and HTC Amaze 4G* through close integration with our carrier partners.

We're continuing to assess our product portfolio, so stay tuned for more updates on device upgrades, timing and other details about HTC and Ice Cream Sandwich.

*US handsets"

Reactions: blackepoxy
Upvote 0
Don't worry. There will be a port sooner or later. There are a few people working on it already. I'm placing my bets on 2 months from now for a working, near bugless ice cream sandwich build for us.

This is making want to root more than ever now.
In the past i never wanted to do it but, now seriously considering it to get ICS 4.0...

Update:
Looks like this could be it!!! & what i have been waiting to see!!!
Boy this thing looks SWEET!!! ;)

Another upcoming HTC smartphone has apparently been revealed, the HTV Ville, a 4.3-inch qHD handset running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 chipset. The Ville, according to BGR

Attachments

• htc_ville_leak-391x500.jpg
    htc_ville_leak-391x500.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
Personally, I am not gonna be jumping on this port... I am sure it will be swell, but I am just going to wait for Cyanogenmod 9 or an OMGICS or OMFGICS rom. Actually, I will almost certainly jump straight away onto the first build derived from the source code... then wait for CM9 to catchup.

...That's gonna be AWESOME.

Upvote 0
I saw a list that shows hTC Droid increDible S will get it, that is nearly the same as our beloved Dinc2...
I will have to find the link again...

Well... That is from hTC's facebook page, so I guess, it is straight from the horse's mouth.

^^You heard the man.^^

could you let me know where you saw the incredible s getting ICS? i checked the facebook page and i didnt see anything. maybe im missing it.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/htc-...d-40-updates-for-htc-handsets/300698153293006

Upvote 0
could you let me know where you saw the incredible s getting ICS? i checked the facebook page and i didnt see anything. maybe im missing it.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/htc-...d-40-updates-for-htc-handsets/300698153293006

I found it again here:

Samarth Rasiwasia, an employee of Google and HTC has posted some information to let us know what HTC devices should see the update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich:

Technically all the Android powered devices capable of running of Android Gingerbread will be able to run Android 4.0 ICS but Practically all devices may not give an overall good user experience . So all the manufactures are reviewing ICS on their devices to check the user experience and will release the latest OS according to the results.

HTC

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones