• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Jellybean now in UK

doc1964

Android Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2010
Scotland
Message on my Tab 2 7inch this morning that jellybean available, 20 minutes later i have it installed and working fine. None of my data or programs seem to have been lost although i will probably do a full reset later to ensure there are no kinks in the system. Will not get a chance to play around with it till later but at least it is now here.

I have it set to check for updates and auto update. The message was on screen simply stating that a software update was available, it was a white box in middle of screen containing the message, not a notification symbol at top of screen. It stated the update was jellybean and asked, do you wish to update now. i selected yes, and it installed in about 20minutes, very straightforward. Kept all of my data intact. The first thing noticed is that you now swipe down similar to your samsung phone to get into notifications and settings. My tethering to my S3 as a hotspot didnt work but i intrend to reset everything just now as i know that sometimes you get issues after an update that a reset fixes. So will see if this resolves it.

Reactions: hkmk23
Upvote 0
Same happened in Belgium and i guess it's the same for Holland... A lot of data must be going around nowadays.
Didn't install the update yet but i guess it's safe and i hope it will be an improvement.
Especially the browsers (I use standard, opera and delphin) are not keeping up with the job and i was considering selling the tab to buy an everyday normal laptop again.

Upvote 0
Any downside?

Yes, lots of them!

* All icons on the home pages gone, so you'll have to re-organise everything, again.
* The UI is now the same one as on a phone, with a non-removable notification bar on top. Nice if you use a phone in portrait mode, but not if you use a tablet in landscape mode. (The bar on top makes the screen narrower, while the bar at the bottom is just lots of empty space.)
* To see the wifi, GPS, ect settings you now have to swipe down from the top, instead of the previous single tap in the right bottom corner. And if you don't swipe far enough down, the pop-up close again.
* I'm fairly new to Android and tablets, but I really started to like my Galaxy Tab2 7. But this new UI is just ridiculous, makes you wonder who they hire as HCI experts at Google...

To be clear: I didn't get any warning about the importance of this update. It got pushed through exactly like an update a few weeks ago, but that included some minor tweaks - nothing like this one. (I would compare this to Microsoft automatically pushing an upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 through Windows Update, without any serious warning...)

I have been using Android for 2 months only, but I think I'll be looking for Win8 tablets in the future.

Reactions: pauluk1
Upvote 0
Yes, lots of them!

* All icons on the home pages gone, so you'll have to re-organise everything, again.
* The UI is now the same one as on a phone, with a non-removable notification bar on top. Nice if you use a phone in portrait mode, but not if you use a tablet in landscape mode. (The bar on top makes the screen narrower, while the bar at the bottom is just lots of empty space.)
* To see the wifi, GPS, ect settings you now have to swipe down from the top, instead of the previous single tap in the right bottom corner. And if you don't swipe far enough down, the pop-up close again.
* I'm fairly new to Android and tablets, but I really started to like my Galaxy Tab2 7. But this new UI is just ridiculous, makes you wonder who they hire as HCI experts at Google...

To be clear: I didn't get any warning about the importance of this update. It got pushed through exactly like an update a few weeks ago, but that included some minor tweaks - nothing like this one. (I would compare this to Microsoft automatically pushing an upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 through Windows Update, without any serious warning...)

I have been using Android for 2 months only, but I think I'll be looking for Win8 tablets in the future.

Wow, could you possibly post screenshots of the new UI sir? I'm in the Philippines, and we haven't received the OTA update yet; and I've already rooted my tab so I'm sort of leaning toward custom ROMs like CyanogenMod 10 (Jellybean 4.1 based).

Upvote 0
Wow, could you possibly post screenshots of the new UI sir? I'm in the Philippines, and we haven't received the OTA update yet; and I've already rooted my tab so I'm sort of leaning toward custom ROMs like CyanogenMod 10 (Jellybean 4.1 based).

Sorry, can't post a screenshot right now. But this article gives a good idea of what I'm talking about. (The article talks about Nexus, but the changes described for 4.2 are the ones that I now see on my Tab2 with version 4.1.1.)

I have contacted Samsung support, but they only tell me that I can't turn the upgrade back, and that they will not deliver a real tablet UI but will stick with this phone UI. :mad:
They even told me "upgrades are at your own risk", as if I had a choice... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

For anybody who is looking for the way to make a screenshot now :

Before, this was possible by tapping the right button on the bottom of the machine.
I regret that this button has dissapeared in the new version.

However : in Jelly Bean, it can be done by pressing the ON/OFF-button and the VOLUME DOWN button simultaneously. Exactly together at the same time.. Good luck !

Upvote 0
Since 7" is a tablet I wonder why they'd user a phone version of it. That makes no sense.

May be the phones are getting bigger day bay day so 7" screen may not be considered as a tablet very soon... google recently updated youtube app with a tablet UI for screens grater then or equal 10".

may be sammy is trying to stick with the UI's defined by google for devices to keep things standard.

I bought tab2 for the tough wiz UI that 4.04 has..

now i am confused whether to update or no but i badly want to taste Jelly beans...

Upvote 0
To Kbbru ICS better than Jelly bean

Yes you are right also the search bar used to move away to full screen when looking at pics etc on web sites, not any more it stays a bit like looking through a letter box utterly useless on a tab 2, I wish I could get ICS back on my tab 2 7" now to try and stop it on my 10.1 from getting it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones