• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Pricing Thread

bense

Lurker
Oct 30, 2009
To my knowledge, there has not been an official price listed for the Droid as of yet. So far people are throwing around #'s like $599 full retail and 299$ full retail.

To me, these are extreme differences and might be the difference in me getting the phone or not. I am not eligable for a "new every 2" phone, so I will have to get the phone at its full price. I am a current Verizon customer and my dad will be getting a droid as well (same plan). He is eligable for a new phone, so to my knowledge he should pay $199 and I should pay $299. Is this correct?

Also, is there an official ruling on how much the data plan will be? There has been much speculation but some people say it will be 30-40$ a month. This number to me is great, and I hope it isn't much higher.

Is there a chance I will have to pay 599$ for this phone?

Thank you,
Pat

Phone will be $199.99 with a new 2 year renewal.

Not sure about the new every 2 but I'm guessing it would be $99.99

Price will be $559.99 for full retail.

That is for Verizon, not Best Buy

The new every two discount can be anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on timing and plan choice. You only get one per plan, so if you have multiple phones, you don't get multiple discounts unless you have a serious plan going.

Upvote 0
So my phone isn't up until November of 2010, but technically if I add 2 more years on now, I can get the phone for 199$? Is that how this works?

Also, I'm sorry, I did use the search function and saw all this information, but it all seemed to be misguided and not official. I was wondering if anyone had an official price, and it seems you do. I apologize.

Upvote 0
So say my mother has a plan due to extend in 2 months. I get the Droid for 199$ through her extension, and I activate the phone on my account. What does into making sure the data plan is unlimited on my # and not hers? It just seems like that would be a gigantic headache. If you go to a verizon store and say you want to do this, will they give you a hard time, or will they just help you out with it? My dad has had 5 numbers on this plan for over 10 years, so he plays the "I'm the best Verizon customer ever" card and threatens to drop everyone if they don't do simple stuff like that so I think it won't be a problem...

Upvote 0
Quick question knickerbocker.

I am within the 4 month period to upgrade and it will be 3 months by the time the Droid finally does release. Do both Best Buy and Verizon uphold this standard in that if you are within the 4 months until your contract expires you can upgrade at the $199 price? The reason I ask is because it makes more sense to me to just do it at Best Buy where the rebate is automatic. Thanks and I hope you can clear this up for me

Upvote 0
@original poster:

You are eligible for a "1 year upgrade" which doesn't tack on another 2 years.. it gives you an additional year so from he date of when you upgrade to the droid, you are tied for another 2 years.
You will be able to get the phone for 199.99 after the 100 rebate. you will pay 299.99 plus taxes on november 6th. Then mail in your rebate. But when you upgrade after a year they give you the "2 year price" but with no additional money off like the new every 2 does. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
@original poster:

You are eligible for a "1 year upgrade" which doesn't tack on another 2 years.. it gives you an additional year so from he date of when you upgrade to the droid, you are tied for another 2 years.
You will be able to get the phone for 199.99 after the 100 rebate. you will pay 299.99 plus taxes on november 6th. Then mail in your rebate. But when you upgrade after a year they give you the "2 year price" but with no additional money off like the new every 2 does. Does that make sense?

That's almost complete. If you are a VIP customer (your line pays more than 59.99 for the plan) than you get an additional $50. As far as Best Buy, you should be able to upgrade if the system clearly states your eligible. Sometimes the system does not show your eligible when in fact you may be. This happens often if you have changed your number or transfered the number to a new account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones