• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [OFFICIAL SOLUTION]Change your vocoder settings to improve voice quality

so when you call out you hear the two tones?

and you can confirm all 3 settings under the MSL screen are EVRC-B and ENABLED?

I had zero luck once all 3 were changed. I cant re-test now as my Comcastic service is down and im on my sprint mifi. :( truck roll will be saturday.. :( :( so i cant test until thats back up....

Yes, is that what those two tones are? The airave? I was wondering about that. I thought it was something a problem with sprint and their connection.

However, I went back and checked my settings and the EVRC-B was disabled and Roam was EVRC-C. So I guess I can't do it.

Upvote 0
yeppers... i always change mine to 0. :D

One thing i always change in these settings is the slot index cycle (advanced, slot index cycle) usually when people call it ribs 3-4 times before I can hear it ring and changing the setting from 2 to 1 shortened the time from 1-3 rings.

ahh good old evrc.. had forgotten about it..

also whilst you cats are rummaging thru the alley, why not change your slot cycle index.. i set mine to zero... did it on the touch pro 2, the diamond, and the evo 4G...

smoke this over.. . http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/91011-any-ring-lag-all-like-hero.html

Upvote 0
so far i'm really liking this phone. the only thing i see that may or may not be an issue is the sound. when i call someone it rings in and out of volume and 2 people have already told me that i sound far away (although i think this could be because my house phone is messed up and i have vonage and the calls are being forwarded to my cell phone so that could be the culprit) yet they sound loud and clear to me. thats the only issue i have so far. other than that i love this phone.

Upvote 0
i did it and it worked...however, is it normal for it to reboot after inputting the new settings? mine requested a reboot or it will automatically reboot within 10 seconds. also if i want to change it back i repeat the steps and change:

EVRC-B Enable-------> EVRC-B Disable

Home Orig and Roam Orig from EVRC-B -------------------->EVRC

Is this correct?

BTW Thanks so much for this!

Upvote 0
Hi all, this is my first post here as a first time Android/Evo user :)

I tried this on my Evo3D and after changing the three settings and rebooting I was unable to make calls at all. It gave an error saying that the network was unavailable and a 'busy signal' sounded in the earpiece. I didn't see anyone else who seemed to have this issue so I wanted to see what you guys make of it. Not using any Airave or similar device, phone is just connected via 3G and Wifi when the issue occurred. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I made the changes on both mine and my girlfriend's phones, and it has improved the call quality exponentially. Robotic voices? Gone. Uneven volumes? Fixed. Also, and I haven't done any actual battery monitoring, but I honestly haven't noticed a dip in battery drain.

This fix is exactly what we were looking for.

Upvote 0
Hi all, this is my first post here as a first time Android/Evo user :)

I tried this on my Evo3D and after changing the three settings and rebooting I was unable to make calls at all. It gave an error saying that the network was unavailable and a 'busy signal' sounded in the earpiece. I didn't see anyone else who seemed to have this issue so I wanted to see what you guys make of it. Not using any Airave or similar device, phone is just connected via 3G and Wifi when the issue occurred. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry for the circumstance, tho.

I'd say first thing is to change back to original and see if problem persists.

If it does persist, then possibly something else changed. Would first suggest a battery pull for 60 seconds, then failing that a hard reset.

If the problem goes away when you change back - try this fix again. It may have just been a one-time glitch.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi Early Mon

Wow I read in here constantly and you are one of the most Active mods I have come across! Great Job!

Question, I guess I do not understand. So did you make the change and your wife thought you were on your old Evo? Is that correct. I guess I want to be spoon fed.:D Did you make the change and you like it and have stayed with it or did you revert back to stock?

Thank you

Charles

I just gave this a try - and just called my wife, I speaking to her just a few minutes ago. I asked her, right off - "How do I sound?"

Her reply - What did you do? Return your new phone? You're talking on your old one, right?

Moved posts here, tagged this as candidate for guide sticky.

Very nicely done, wega1985! :) :) :)

PS - Doing that mod-eye-rolling thing over the LMGTFY. ;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I for the life in me can not seem to get my MSL # from Sprint. I have called 3 times to no avail. And yes, I have been very nice and polite, as I am not one to get upset with people. (I work in service, an have worked retail in college, so I know how people can get) I have even tried the online chat, and they would not give it up either. I will continue to try, as this is the only annoyance I have with the 3D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones