• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Swype on Incredible discussions

I have swype and shapewriter and prefer shapewriter. It has bar for closest words in case you don't hit things just right. That requires an extra step in Swype.

Also using Chomp instead of handcent due to mms capability. Those are basically texting programs, and then the keyboards are within those programs. So Chomp for platform with Shapewriter as keyboard.

Upvote 0
Took me a couple days of learning it then I could type no less than twice as fast using any other touch and type keyboard. I like how I can type completely full speed without having to turn the phone sideways either. It's excellent for having instant message conversations since the tall screen lets you see more of the conversation compared to holding it horizontally.

Upvote 0
I like how I can type completely full speed without having to turn the phone sideways either. It's excellent for having instant message conversations since the tall screen lets you see more of the conversation compared to holding it horizontally.

I think that's the key for my with Swype. I haven't really tested it, but I probably can type with swype in portrait (one hand) faster than the stock keyboard in landscape (two hands). I know I can type WAY faster with Swype than the stock keyboard in portrait.

I think it's always easier just to keep the phone in portrait and use 1 hand. I rarely have my phone in landscape mode when typing. There's no point with Swype (and in fact it slows me down if I try to Swype in landscape mode).

Upvote 0
I second the comments about Swype. It took me a bit to get used to it, but now I'm typing significantly faster than with the standard keyboard. Now don't take this personally, because it's not meant to be an insult, but I could definitely see people who aren't intimately familiar with the QWERTY layout having a tough time with Swype. It only really works well if you are practiced enough to type without looking on a traditional keyboard.

Upvote 0
but I could definitely see people who aren't intimately familiar with the QWERTY layout having a tough time with Swype. It only really works well if you are practiced enough to type without looking on a traditional keyboard.

That's a good point. I'm a very fast typist on a standard keyboard and I can see how it helps with swype to know, by muscle memory, where all the keys are.

Upvote 0
There was a link to an altered version Swype. Since the version is illegal the MODs have instructed us that links to software like that puts AF in jeopardy, so I moved it. Please do not post links to illegal software. If anyone notices such a link please simply hit the little "!" (report post) link at the lower left hand corner of the post and a Mod will handle the problem. No need to refer to the link as it will automatically be reported. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Anybody that wants to try Swype, go to the market and try shapewriter. I just checked and it is still there but they plan on taking it off the market on June 20th except for the latest version, or the paid version. Like anything else on the market, try for 24 hours if it is a paid app and uninstall for a refund.

I prefer Shapewriter to Swype anyway, so why not just try the nicer one lol.

Upvote 0

Awesome review of both apps. I have both on my phone and since it is as easy as a long press on the text space to switch I find myself using both, as well as some other standard texting keyboards (better keyboard, smart keyboard, swiftkey). Having all the choices and the ease at which HTC made it to switch back and forth is one of the 5 star features of this phone.

The customization on Swype is sweet. I actually have a blue keyboard with a light blue trace line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones