• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Offline custom map + gps

PortNerd

Nov 13, 2012
I've got a personal google map to which I've added a bunch of horse and hiking trails. On my android device, I want to be able to view those maps (or a similar map that I create for another application), with my current GPS location displayed on that map.

And I want to be able to do it offline.

Google maps only works online. I can *kinda* get google maps. If I open up my custom map when I'm online, then don't touch anything once I go offline (like try to change the visible layers, switch to a different map, etc.), it works. But it's very easy to accidentally leave that map, at which point all of my custom data is gone until I'm back online.

Does anybody know of any applications that will allow me to do what I'm trying to do here?

If you have these trails on Maps on your PC, you'd them export as KML files and import them on your Android device.

You'd import them on OruxMaps, free app in Play Store, for showing and routing these trails.

The app works offline mit pre-loaded OpenStreetMaps, detailed maps that are more detailed than Google Maps for some areas.
The app also shows your current location and let you tracking and saving your trails.

For hiking I use the free OpenAndroMaps (topographic maps) with OruxMaps.

Harry

Reactions: jae_63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones