• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Offline star finder / star chart app

I would like to buy one of those cool apps where you hold your phone or tablet up and it identifies the stars you're pointing at. However, every app I can find on Google Play says it requires full network access. This seems very odd, since stargazing typically takes place in remote areas with no cell towers or WiFi (including, in my case, at sea).

Maybe I'm odd, but I don't need the ability to operate a telescope from my tablet or a time slider that will show me what the constellations looked like 200,000 years ago. I'd like a simple way to identify the major stars in the night sky wherever I am without being connected to a cell tower or WiFi, and I would pay for it (no free apps for me).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones