• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OG Droid owner holding out for Nexus Prime...should I?

headbanger51

Feb 25, 2010
OK folks...here's the dealio. I just returned from a tour in Iraq and while there I followed tech blogs and all things phones, droid and ROMs for precisely 3 minutes...so I'm behind and kind of "in the dark."
Running 2.2.1 and BB v0.5 and my OG still runs quite well but I just want to upgrade (I'm on Verizon and won't be switching). I was VERY close to getting whatever Apple was going to unveil on the 4th, but I was underwhelmed and with the Nexus Prime coming out, I'm having major second thoughts.
So my question is, is the Nexus Prime worth waiting for, or is there another superphone waiting in the wings?
I was totally irritated with the Bionic debacle and sincerely believe that Motorola and Verizon consistently screw up and hamper what could be industry-dominating phones (hence why I considered jumping ship to the iPhone, if only for my next contract period). I think that the OG Droid may be the greatest phone of all time because it was totally capable and because it was easily rootable and customizable, it's almost just as relevant today as it was in Nov 09. But every single phone released since then has had one or more fatal flaws that just leave me frustrated with the industry (even with the Prime...a 5MP camera? Really? Hopefully that'll be false).
I might not push my phone to the brink, but I enjoy having the latest ROM (I've delayed updating since I was considering getting a new phone in about a week), customization, and I LOVE the GPS (that's the thing I'd have missed most had I bailed to the iPhone).
OK, that's it...sorry for the rant surrounding my question.
What are everyone's thoughts?

OK folks...here's the dealio. I just returned from a tour in Iraq and while there I followed tech blogs and all things phones, droid and ROMs for precisely 3 minutes...so I'm behind and kind of "in the dark."
Running 2.2.1 and BB v0.5 and my OG still runs quite well but I just want to upgrade. I was VERY close to getting whatever Apple was going to unveil on the 4th, but I was underwhelmed and with the Nexus Prime coming out, I'm having major second thoughts.
So my question is, is the Nexus Prime worth waiting for, or is there another superphone waiting in the wings?
I was totally irritated with the Bionic debacle and sincerely believe that Motorola and Verizon consistently screw up and hamper what could be industry-dominating phones (hence why I considered jumping ship to the iPhone, if only for my next contract period). I think that the OG Droid may be the greatest phone of all time because it was totally capable and because it was easily rootable and customizable, it's almost just as relevant today as it was in Nov 09. But every single phone released since then has had one or more fatal flaws that just leave me frustrated with the industry (even with the Prime...a 5MP camera? Really? Hopefully that'll be false).
I might not push my phone to the brink, but I enjoy having the latest ROM (I've delayed updating since I was considering getting a new phone in about a week), customization, and I LOVE the GPS (that's the thing I'd have missed most had I bailed to the iPhone).
OK, that's it...sorry for the rant surrounding my question.
What are everyone's thoughts?

First of all, welcome home :)

Now, I'll (try to) keep this short. I'm still rocking an OG Droid1 as well (a lot of guys around here are, too). If you're staying with VZW, there are two phones everyone is drooling over and the closer they come to releasing them, the less sleep everyone gets, and a few guys I'm sure are developing ulcers from the anxiety. Anyway, it's the Prime or the HTC Vigor. Check out those forums - There are stickied threads at the top of both that go over all the details (and lot of extra nonsense). The Vigor is expected at the end of October and the Prime is expected in early November. Lots of talk, lots of rumors, some pics, etc - It would seem that you really can't go wrong with either though. (Personally, I'm hoping for the Prime but not ruling out the Vigor somepletely either.)

Upvote 0
Wow...two great looking phones! I'm really hoping that the NP has an 8mp camera and 1.5GHz processor since some reports say it'll be 5mp and 1.2GHz. If the Prime has a 5mp camera and a 1.2GHz processor I'm really going to be bummed and undecided. If it has an 8mp camera and 1.5GHz processor, then it's Prime time! Any idea if the Vigor will be locked down?
My assumption is that the Prime will be unlocked or at least much more easily customized. That's what I really loved about the OG Droid...everyone was creating so many great ROMs!
Seems like the specs are pretty well confirmed with the Vigor, while the Prime is still in the rumor mill.
Excited for next Tuesday!

Upvote 0
Wow...two great looking phones! I'm really hoping that the NP has an 8mp camera and 1.5GHz processor since some reports say it'll be 5mp and 1.2GHz. If the Prime has a 5mp camera and a 1.2GHz processor I'm really going to be bummed and undecided. If it has an 8mp camera and 1.5GHz processor, then it's Prime time! Any idea if the Vigor will be locked down?
My assumption is that the Prime will be unlocked or at least much more easily customized. That's what I really loved about the OG Droid...everyone was creating so many great ROMs!
Seems like the specs are pretty well confirmed with the Vigor, while the Prime is still in the rumor mill.
Excited for next Tuesday!

Yup! Good times...but a little anxiety inducing.

The word on the street is that the Vigor *should* be unlocked but I don't believe there's any confirmation yet.

Upvote 0
I can't wait till next week to find out the true details with the NP.

One thing I would like to add, though, is why do you need a phone with higher megapixels? Unless you're using the phone to print/enlarge/do something else with those photos 5 MP seems pretty adequate to me. I don't think MP alone can make or break aspects with photo quality and I would guess that most couldn't tell the difference b/t two photos with different MP under normal circumstances.

I guess what I am saying is that there may be some spec's with the prime that turn me off, but the megapixels won't be one of them.

Upvote 0
I can't wait till next week to find out the true details with the NP.

One thing I would like to add, though, is why do you need a phone with higher megapixels? Unless you're using the phone to print/enlarge/do something else with those photos 5 MP seems pretty adequate to me. I don't think MP alone can make or break aspects with photo quality and I would guess that most couldn't tell the difference b/t two photos with different MP under normal circumstances.

I guess what I am saying is that there may be some spec's with the prime that turn me off, but the megapixels won't be one of them.

It's just a numbers thing. I now know that the MPs don't matter as much as the chip, light sensor and lens. I'm just ultra excited and Ive always wanted a phone with everything...like the OG stood when it was released...but each phone has always had at least one tragic flaw. The Prime may be the phone I've been dreaming of, so I can't wait for Tuesday!

Upvote 0
I am an OG Droid owner, and I am counting the minutes until the Nexus Prime comes out

If all the rumors are true, it's going to be a beast

Then again, all the rumors pointed that the iPhone 5 was going to be the greatest phone ever, and look what happened

Upvote 0
It's just a numbers thing. I now know that the MPs don't matter as much as the chip, light sensor and lens. I'm just ultra excited and Ive always wanted a phone with everything...like the OG stood when it was released...but each phone has always had at least one tragic flaw. The Prime may be the phone I've been dreaming of, so I can't wait for Tuesday!

Yeah...I'm due for an upgrade at the end of October and am pretty excited also...................................

TUESDAY!

Upvote 0
i will have to say I will choose over the vigor and get the prime. I don't care how big that battery is going to be. It is the NEXUS!!! Google always use the nexus for all their android development. And did you see the side profile of that phone. tune in on the 11th to hear more. Nothing against the vigor. I just cant get comfortable with anything other than stock UI experience. Sense 3.5 touchwiz 4.0 not really my thing. Finally Verizon is carrying a good stock phone.

Upvote 0
I think the OG iPhone may be the most significant smartphone ever for obvious reasons. But I think the OG Droid may be the greatest smartphone of all time. Yes, its capabilities are eclipsed by newer phones. But the OG Droid, because it's unlocked, has a solid build and truly compromised nothing when it came out ensured that it is about as future proof as any phone could be...and it was the first. As such, I and many other OG Droid owners (not all, but many) are still plugging away with zero problems whatsoever. My OG Droid still runs like a champ and I've customized everything...was one of the first to have each Android update and ran whatever ROMs I wanted...as it turns out, I don't need anything more than Froyo, but it still works great. I don't need the Nexus Prime, I just want it. But if I were handcuffed to my OG Droid, I'd have little to complain about even 2 almost two years later. It's the original futureproof phone...and it's as futureproof as a phone could be. I've said it before, every phone after the OG Droid (maybe with the exception of the Droid X) has had at least one fatal flaw that marred an otherwise amazing phone. Even if the BGR specs are true (which they now appear to be), the Prime may be the first phone to come along since the OG Droid that does not compromise anywhere and has no fatal flaw. It's as though SOMEBODY finally got it. And that's why it's creating so much hype (as was noted by Chief in the Nexus Prime thread sticky).
Rant = complete.

Upvote 0
Unless I'm mistaken (which I could be), the fatal flaw in the Bionic is the locked bootloader...which has basically been one of the fatal flaws in almost every phone since the release of the OG Droid.
And Chief, I'm with ya! Just saw these pics so I thought I'd post...don't know if they're up on the Nexus Prime sticky yet...
Google Nexus Prime renderings appear accurate - SlashGear

Upvote 0
Headbanger, yeah we saw those pics. Please remember that the article you're citing is from September 30th! A lot has happened in 2 weeks, including the Unpacked video with the Galaxy-Nexus-Prime supposedly in it at the end. If you take a look at THAT, the two phones look wildly different.

Both are quite sexy, though, and a FAR step above the Droid! November 3rd can't get here fast enough...

Upvote 0
Headbanger, yeah we saw those pics. Please remember that the article you're citing is from September 30th! A lot has happened in 2 weeks, including the Unpacked video with the Galaxy-Nexus-Prime supposedly in it at the end. If you take a look at THAT, the two phones look wildly different.

Both are quite sexy, though, and a FAR step above the Droid! November 3rd can't get here fast enough...

Dammit, I feel like such an idiot. I didn't notice the date cuz i found it on a google search using the "within the last hour" timeframe.

But here's my concern now...is the straight stock android experience phone going to Verizon? Or is Verizon going to mess it all up with touch whiz and all that crap? I'm getting confused here with the galaxy/nexus/prime stuff. If it's a nexus phone, then I know it'll have stock android ICS...If I ype any more, I'll just get even more lost. Help?

Upvote 0
Our sources - who are VERY reliable - have told us that the Galaxy-Nexus-Prime will be a stock vanilla "Google Experience" phone with NO skin and NO bloatware. What we actually get at the store remains to be seen, but we expect a pure Android phone. At Verizon! Imagine that! :eek: :D

EDIT: And NEVER feel like an idiot by posting something you've found! The Nexus Prime thread is almost 4800 posts long and who knows? People may have missed something (and newbies who don't feel like reading the whole saga will see it for the first time). If we've seen it, we'll let you know... but whatever it is, post it nonetheless.

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
I work now at a Verizon Authorized Retailer, we are not a corporate store, both my manager and another employee love HTC and its sense UI. All gloating about the new HTC Vigor, (supposedly going to be called the resound, that came from corporate btw) So anyways they laugh at me and my OG Droid and the reason why I still have it (I cant leave stock). When they saw the images of ICS they were like ewww and I was like omg the Sense UI, looks nasty. I like my simplistic UI. But I can see why they dont like this one now. The bottom dock looks sorta like the touch wiz bottom bar. I guess but it is whatever. As soon as they saw the news about the nexus prime gets FCC approval or whatever it was called, it was going to have a gsm bands. And how Verizon is going to get touchwiz. I was like whatever yeah right. Verizon better keep the NEXUS name. If they dont I am going to be so pissed because that means Google will not using it for their updates.

AAAHHHHH It needs to be a nexus phone on the Verizon Network!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones