• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oink! 200gb microSDXC card?

Rred

Sep 23, 2010
Yes, I know a 128gb microsdxc card works, but my library has burst its seams, and I'm looking at the Sandisk 200GB cards that are now the largest available. Does anyone know if the phone will work with the 200GB cards, or will it get terribly upset?

Or will any of the new phones work with a larger than 128gb memory card?

Yes, I know a 128gb microsdxc card works, but my library has burst its seams, and I'm looking at the Sandisk 200GB cards that are now the largest available. Does anyone know if the phone will work with the 200GB cards, or will it get terribly upset?
Or will any of the new phones work with a larger than 128gb memory card?

If a 128 GB works on your device,a 200GB will w/o any issues whatsoever.
I have a 4yr old tablet at home,I'd gladly try my 200 GB card out on it later this evening,say around 9:00 P.M. EDT or thereabouts & I'll post my findings then.
My guess is if it works on that,it'll work on your phone,as my tablet is roughly 2 yrs older than your device.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily. Each device seems to have different limits, i.e. many are arbitrarily set at 64GB or 32GB simply because the "memory" bus isn't able to count any higher than that. It requires a different controller, capable of counting more address bits. And there's very little logic to which hardware what companies use. Some equipment stops at 32gb, doesn't do sdxc. Some claims to do sdxc but sees nothing after 64gb. Some, officially stop at 64gb but are happy to take 128gb.

I just hate to invest in the pricey card, only to find out the phone "should've" worked with it.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily. Each device seems to have different limits, i.e. many are arbitrarily set at 64GB or 32GB simply because the "memory" bus isn't able to count any higher than that. It requires a different controller, capable of counting more address bits. And there's very little logic to which hardware what companies use. Some equipment stops at 32gb, doesn't do sdxc. Some claims to do sdxc but sees nothing after 64gb. Some, officially stop at 64gb but are happy to take 128gb.

I just hate to invest in the pricey card, only to find out the phone "should've" worked with it.

Ok, just tried out the 200 GB Micro SD Card on my Asus Transformer TF 300T & although many sites spec the max capacity for expandable memory @ 32GB,my tablet sees the 200 GB Card with no problems.

You shouldn't have any problems with a 200 GB card in your phone.
FWIW, they're currently on sale at Best Buy for $99.99
Worse case scenario, it doesn't work & you can return it.

Upvote 0
There's no memory bus width determining the address range - it's a two wire communication carrying the address and data just like a network connection.

The rated specs for 32 or 64 GB are simply laziness on the part of the marketing departments.

Anything that exceeds 32 GB is used an SDXC capable controller and from that point, the addressing limit is 2 TB (and that's for future proofing, we're obviously no where near that).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Your only other challenge is formatting and I think I've only seen one budget model not format above 64 GB correctly with the right hardware.

You want to format the card on the phone but if that's a problem, use -

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

But basically, if the phone has been reported to be successful with a 64 GB card, it's going to be compatible with any size.
SDXC is a standard. You're describing standards violations and marketing confusion, not some common behavior to be expected.

If you're using 128 GB, 200 will work.

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys, good to know at least one works.
I mentioned memory bus size because as you may be aware, there have previously been well-documented issues in PC's that cannot address hard drives over a certain size--regardless of format--because they have or need 48(?) bits on the address lines to count "that" high, and previously they had only 32. Or maybe it was 48 they had and they needed 64...the exact numbers don't matter. The point is, the OS and the hardware controllers (and there is a controller for the SD card) all need to be able to count "that high" in order to read all of the memory. For varying reasons of ignorance or economy, all of them don't.
In fact, I still have an Atrix that counts very nicely to 64GB, but won't accept one Byte more, no matter who or how the car is formatted. Which is one reason it got replaced.
Similarly, there are the Fiio high-resolution digital music players. Incredible sound quality, they make the best smartphones sound like a 1960's 4-transistor AM radio. But, they take a 128GB memory card, maximum. And any number of car stereos, again, have odd limits from 32GB on SDHD cards, six years after SDHC was obsoleted by SDXC. The newer ones? Well, let's just say that none of them has claimed to be able to work with the multi-terabyte limits that SDXC provides for.
Phone makers tend to forget to mention inconvenient things. Like Samsung, who don't tell you their phones will light up and beep in the middle of the night so you can stop charging them. (Hey, at 3AM I don't give a damn, I need my sleep.) Or LG, where if the phone is charging, has reached 100%, and you want to power it down and unplug the charger? It will power down AND THEN POWER UP AGAIN with a black screen, so that by morning it has only 1/2 charge left on it. Pulling out the charger cable apparently turns the phone on, during a power-off cycle.

Last time I met a "phone" I could trust, it was a black rotary dial Western Electric 500 series. And, btw, the FCC tells us that "cell phones" are computers and radios, but they are NOT TELEPHONES. Under federal law. Maybe if Western Electric made a cell phone, it would just work as promised?

Upvote 0
Having designed memory addressing circuits I'm more than a little familiar with the issue of address bus width on PCs and other hardware.

Doesn't apply to SD controllers. They count as high as the standard.

Apples and oranges.

And I go back to Western Electric phones too fwiw.

Sorry a bad Atrix has convinced you that there's no standards here. As well as some other gear.

What phone are you using?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Phone makers tend to forget to mention inconvenient things. Like Samsung, who don't tell you their phones will light up and beep in the middle of the night so you can stop charging them. (Hey, at 3AM I don't give a damn, I need my sleep.) Or LG, where if the phone is charging, has reached 100%, and you want to power it down and unplug the charger? It will power down AND THEN POWER UP AGAIN with a black screen, so that by morning it has only 1/2 charge left on it. Pulling out the charger cable apparently turns the phone on, during a power-off cycle.

Wow, with all the limitations of my Blackberry, I am pleased to say it doesn't do those things...

Upvote 0
I finally picked up a 200gb Sandisk SDXC card, genuine, tested & verified on my computer, factory formatted as exFAT, same as the 128gb card that is in the Optimus G now.

But doing almost anything causes the Optimus to simply and politely shut down and restart when the larger card is accessed. Can't even read a directory from it.

Now the same larger (200gb) card works without any complaint in an HTC One M8, so the card is double-verified and known good.

And I have no reason to think the root or the phone encryption (not on the card, just on the phone internally) is part of the problem, they've been rock solid for over a year as well.

So unless anyone has actually USED a 200gb memory card in this phone, and found a trick to making it work....Nope. "It should" stops at the front gate to the unicorn ranch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones