• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OMG...Smoked Glass v5.0.1 is AWESOME

this is an easy, much dumb-down ROM install. Very recommended if you don't feel very comfortable hacking and tinkering with your device. And best of all, it looks awesome check it out: (note that i have AdamZ's SG v5.0.1 with some tweaking here n there :D)

pix1.jpg

Upvote 0
Dumb question: I need to get SPrecovery 0.99.2 to make this work (getting error 154). The sholes.info site is not working for me...how else can I update SPrecovery??

Dan, if you haven't found the file yet, PM me with your e-mail address. I pulled recovery-0.99.2b.img from my SD card and I'll send it to you (I tried, but was unsuccessful trying to post the file here).

Upvote 0
I'm rooted and that was easy as hell. For some reason the backup stuff seems to be where I'm getting a little lost. Not sure if it's because it's such a plethora of info and my brain is just taking a hike or what's going on. I've got SPRecovery downloaded thanks to whoever it was posted the file, but not exactly sure where to go with things now. RootMyDroid for some reason isn't doing it for me. (making sense)

Anyone have a suggestion as to where to go to find some different step by step instructions on where to go after rooting? Christ I'm kind of embarrassed asking this stuff. Got no issues when it comes to anything PC related, but this phone stuff has me scratching my head a bit.

Upvote 0
I'm rooted and that was easy as hell. For some reason the backup stuff seems to be where I'm getting a little lost. Not sure if it's because it's such a plethora of info and my brain is just taking a hike or what's going on. I've got SPRecovery downloaded thanks to whoever it was posted the file, but not exactly sure where to go with things now. RootMyDroid for some reason isn't doing it for me. (making sense)

Anyone have a suggestion as to where to go to find some different step by step instructions on where to go after rooting? Christ I'm kind of embarrassed asking this stuff. Got no issues when it comes to anything PC related, but this phone stuff has me scratching my head a bit.

You followed the directions here? Full System Backup Using Nandroid | Root Your Droid

Because, honestly, I can't imagine that there are easier to follow step-by-step instructions anywhere.

Upvote 0
You followed the directions here? Full System Backup Using Nandroid | Root Your Droid

Because, honestly, I can't imagine that there are easier to follow step-by-step instructions anywhere.

I did not. Apparently in my A.D.D. addled brain, I missed that. Attempting to read through the ADB info now. Not sure if it's the panic of possibly bricking my phone that's got me a little worked up and unable to concentrate, but for a techie type pc guy, I shouldn't be this frustrated.:eek:

Upvote 0
Hi all I'm looking at installing Smoked Glass v5.0.1 I know I need SirPsychoS SPRecovery v0.99.2b I found a link to it and saved it on my PC. When I try to open it just to see the contents I get this error "Internal Error Processing ISO Image" is this a normal message when trying to look at the zip contents or is this a corrupt file? Can someone point me to the correct download link for SPRecovery v0.99.2b

Thanks for any help

Upvote 0
OK Guys, I have the orig 5.0.1, how do you get the Chevy Kernel? :D:rolleyes:

it seems as though alldroid is down so i can't find the link to the file.

but once you find the file it's done as an update.zip. so you put the file on the root of your sd card, rename it "update.zip" and then boot into recovery.

then select the following:
-install
-allow update.zip install
-then install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)

and again, the temp difference is HUGE! i have been running Chevy's kernel for a couple days now and it's running really cool at a 1ghz clock speed.

Upvote 0
I'm interested in installing this, but I want to make sure I don't lose anything. Are applications the only thing I need to be worried about losing? What about settings? Will any data on my SD Card be deleted? Is there an application that will back up all the data that installing this rom will wipe?

Upvote 0
I'm interested in installing this, but I want to make sure I don't lose anything. Are applications the only thing I need to be worried about losing? What about settings? Will any data on my SD Card be deleted? Is there an application that will back up all the data that installing this rom will wipe?

i use titanium backup to backup and restore my apps and app data/settings. it has worked very well both times that i used it.

your SD card will not be affected.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm new here.

Just installed Smoked Glass 5 a couple days ago. Installation was very easy for a total smartphone noob like me.

I like the new multi touch browser and the interface is cool, even if it's a bit slow and buggy. Yeah, I'm overclocked to 900MHz and it still seems slow.

Only one thing: I have the opposite problem (I think) form the poster on page 1: It installed this new Swype keyboard and I absolutely F-ing hate it. I can't type with two thumbs without it thinking I'm swyping and completely screwing up, the space bar is in the wrong place, and it doesn't auto correct common typos. I tried Swype for several days and I just don't like it. I refuse to relearn how to type on my phone.

How do I get back to the original 2.0.1 keyboard while keeping the ROM?

I will remove the ROM if it's the only way to get rid of this stupid keyboard.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm new here.

Just installed Smoked Glass 5 a couple days ago. Installation was very easy for a total smartphone noob like me.

I like the new multi touch browser and the interface is cool, even if it's a bit slow and buggy. Yeah, I'm overclocked to 900MHz and it still seems slow.

Only one thing: I have the opposite problem (I think) form the poster on page 1: It installed this new Swype keyboard and I absolutely F-ing hate it. I can't type with two thumbs without it thinking I'm swyping and completely screwing up, the space bar is in the wrong place, and it doesn't auto correct common typos. I tried Swype for several days and I just don't like it. I refuse to relearn how to type on my phone.

How do I get back to the original 2.0.1 keyboard while keeping the ROM?

I will remove the ROM if it's the only way to get rid of this stupid keyboard.

about the browser. stop messing around and just get Xscope. Xscope is lightning fast. so much better than the stock ones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones