• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

One tough Vibrant...one Wife Lives Another Day

Bandage

Nov 3, 2010
So I'm runnin crazy at work, and one of my employees tells me my wife is on the phone for me. I pick up, and she's all frantic and babblin...can't understand her. I get worried, and tell her to slow down and breathe.

"I dropped it in the toilet babe...I'm so sorry!"
"Eh...dropped what in the toilet?" I ask.
"My phone! I was brushing my hair and listening to my voicemails...and it slipped out of my hand...omg omg what do I do!"

So...I pause, and it's my turn to take a deep breath. I'm cursin her out in my mind, for sure...I wanna say: "This is why I get all the cool toys, and you get the hand-me-downs babe!! WTF?!" Instead I get into action-mode.

"Ok...first off open that puppy up, and take out the battery and sim / sd cards. Give it a good shake, get all that water outta there."
"I'm so sorry honey..." Still panicking
"It's all good" I say through clenched teeth
"ok what next?"

I walk her through blotting it dry on the surface...spreading it all out on a towel, then tell her to get her hair dryer out. She goes to town with a no heat setting for about 30 mins...hittin each and every nook and cranny.

"Ok...now go pour some rice on a plate in an even layer, and lay the phone on top of it." I instruct.
"Huh? What-the-hell-you-talkin-about hon?" Her response
"Just trust me on this"
"Ok...I'm really sorry." All timidlike

I get home a few hours later, and touch it all off with a compressed air canister to be sure. Put it together again and press the power button....
And there's that lovely sideways Android Logo. A few reboots later to make sure, all is well.
The wife hugs me in relief and asks...
"Are you still gonna get me the NookColor for Christmas?"

I went outside for a smoke.

Similar thing happened to me with the iPhone 4. I got it launch day and that night my girlfriend ran it through the wash. Guys at the Apple store felt bad and cut the replacement price of $200 in half, so it was only a $100 mistake (still hurt). That is one thing I will miss about the iPhone. Hell print offers something like this but only as a deductible, so I would be paying $7 a month on the off chance someting like this happens again.

Did she seriously ask about the nook color for christmas after almost having toasted your phone (and certainly having voided your warranty)? I would have been more upset about that than the accident itself...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones